SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

91 Solent Blue XJR

naki_k
Super Moderator

Re: 91 Solent Blue XJR

Postby naki_k » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:09 pm

I think it’s inevitable with most 40s needing significant work to bring them to a very high standard. It’s clear you have the perfectionist tendencies! So either way I think it’s £5,000-£10,000+ to get a car to those standards now.
Whether that’s spending a big wedge do buy “the best on the market”, then some more to tidy some additional defects/ trim/ paint.
Or like you have, bought unseen, then steadily working through it to rectify anything that does not meet your standards.
The end result is you have a great car going to towards your ideal spec, I would hope.
Let’s hope we see you out at some shows next year so we can see the car in the flesh.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 3.2 XJ6 SportPack Manual
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

Beavis

91 Celestial Black XJR

Postby Beavis » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:52 pm

Next week the XJR is finally back with me having spent best part of 6 weeks at the garage. Fortunately a lot of that time was for waiting for bits and pieces to arrive rather than major problems, but she has undergone a fairly comprehensive suspension overhaul (including new rear shocks) in order to pass the MoT. The good news is I now have one! As is the way with old cars, several other issues were identified and dealt with including; new fog light saga, replacement Steering Rack, Broken rear window motor, and a bent valve stem leading to the head needing to be removed and overhauled. At least i'd found where the tappety noise was coming from. I've continued the work I was doing on the interior parts, and have managed to find both a new cubby box in its entirety (£2.69 on JCP) and a new ashtray. I've also stripped and covered the roof console in leather, although I need to re-do some of this as the thickness of the leather meant that the magnolia covered piece was just a bit to wide. Here's a few pics of the strip, and fitting of the leather. Amazing what can be done in a hotel room when away with work! The leather has been rescued from old seat covers (courtesy of Break Buster) and a leather armrest in ISIS blue brought on ebay. Hopefully more updates to follow in the next few weeks.
First of all stripping off the old material ready for cleaning..
Cleaned and ready for the new leather..
I popped into Wilko's to buy some of these clips to hold the leather while the contact adhesive set. It was quite tricky stretching the leather around the edge, so I decided to stick it in three phases, the outer edge, then the folded over sections.
This photo has had the outside and top stuck down. Not a bad job actually.
and lastly, almost complete. I've not yet finished the ends of the blue leather as I need to re-do some of it, but having learnt form the first attempt, I can be fairly confident that I can get this looking good enough to fit on the car when I re-do the magnolia section.

Couple of pics of the new plastic goodies...

.. and the boot liner that I purchased..

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Got the old girl back from the garage, last week. 300 miles so far and faultless apart from a dodgy fuel gauge. Something else to add to the list!
Time to start the many fixes required in the interior space, more to follow on those shortly.
Anyway, here's a few pics of my Celestial Black XJR

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:11 pm

First job - having sourced both a new veneer set and a new ash tray, was a nice easy task to simply put them together. But wait, oh no, it couldn't be that simple could it. The pins on one side of the veneer are in the wrong place. A few days delay then, while I get the appropriate bits... contact glue, some mini G-Clamps and we're in business. Couple more days and that glue should be ready for a completed pic...

carsie
Snr Member

Postby carsie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:46 am

Looking really nice :D Well done!
94 XJ40 S-C (Build Phase)

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:31 pm

4 days for the glue to really set hard, and all done...

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Starting to work my way (slowly) through some of the other jobs. I found a matching Daimler interior a few weeks back, wanting to change the rear seats to the individual type. Having sat in the garage for a month or so, I decided that today was the day to change them over.. Before and after pics below. Still needs a good clean, but I like the change!

old del boy
Distinguished Mbr

Postby old del boy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 am

That's the great thing about these cars , mix and match to your own individual taste , certainly looks fine to me ;)

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

Return to “90-92”