After looking for around for a while I put an offer in on a Solent Blue XJR. It'd been advertised for a few months, but I think the guys location and what he was asking was putting people off. After a couple of failed purchase attempts on ebay, I offered what I thought appropriate which he accepted, so last weekend a slightly manic trip on the Saturday culminated with me arriving in Devon to pick the car up the following morning. With eager anticipation I arrived at the station in the morning and eventually got sight (for the first time) on the XJR i'd purchased. Oh dear, it was worse than I expected, the pictures had shown the car to be better than she is.. Still, i'd already paid for it, so it was mine - so suck it up and hope it gets me home! As it transpires, she actually drives really nicely. The steering is very good, power seems pretty good too. On the face of it then, not too bad. However (there had to be one), as I'm driving I'm noticing a few more things that need looking at but i'll come back to that in a while. First stop was at the petrol station, put £60 in, topped the oil up and off we went. After a couple of hours I got to Gloucester and had a quick break at BrakeBuster's place where I picked up the first new bits for the car (a genuine JaguarSport rear spoiler and a new rear light cluster). Had another good look around the car and declared it a good base from which to start, although there are a few nasty rust bubbles that I'm going to need to sort!
Another 2.5 hour drive (through some torrential rain) and I finally arrive home in Northamptonshire. Computer says 30 mpg over the 239 miles of mostly motorway cruising. By the time I reached home there was quite a long list of items to fix\look at which I've been able to make a start on. Here is the now fairly comprehensive list...
Ski Slope (now resolved)
Wiper blade parking
Drivers Mirror degraded (replacement ordered)
Drivers Sill Carpet
Drivers Seat Leather (base ordered)
Burning Oil Smell * Oil leak
XJR Badges need replacing
NSF Knocking (fixed today, replaced top bushes)
Several Bulbs failed (tonight's job)
Incorrect front indicator lens (replacement ordered)
Rear light cluster cracked
Oil Sender Unit
Rusty front wings, spot just above windscreen and another just below rear screen. Wrong colour boot, dent in osr wing, and a multitude of scratches
So all in all something more of a project than I was hoping although I've got a few months to put it right before she goes into daily use. So far i'm able to resolve quite a few of the little niggled for not a great outlay, but I am slightly concerned by the oil leak and the amount of potential spray\welding work. I'm off to a bodyshop tomorrow to get some advice, and to find out what the damage is likely to be. Here's a few pics of her.....