SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

91 Solent Blue XJR

Beavis

91 Solent Blue XJR

Postby Beavis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi all,

After looking for around for a while I put an offer in on a Solent Blue XJR. It'd been advertised for a few months, but I think the guys location and what he was asking was putting people off. After a couple of failed purchase attempts on ebay, I offered what I thought appropriate which he accepted, so last weekend a slightly manic trip on the Saturday culminated with me arriving in Devon to pick the car up the following morning. With eager anticipation I arrived at the station in the morning and eventually got sight (for the first time) on the XJR i'd purchased. Oh dear, it was worse than I expected, the pictures had shown the car to be better than she is.. Still, i'd already paid for it, so it was mine - so suck it up and hope it gets me home! As it transpires, she actually drives really nicely. The steering is very good, power seems pretty good too. On the face of it then, not too bad. However (there had to be one), as I'm driving I'm noticing a few more things that need looking at but i'll come back to that in a while. First stop was at the petrol station, put £60 in, topped the oil up and off we went. After a couple of hours I got to Gloucester and had a quick break at BrakeBuster's place where I picked up the first new bits for the car (a genuine JaguarSport rear spoiler and a new rear light cluster). Had another good look around the car and declared it a good base from which to start, although there are a few nasty rust bubbles that I'm going to need to sort!
Another 2.5 hour drive (through some torrential rain) and I finally arrive home in Northamptonshire. Computer says 30 mpg over the 239 miles of mostly motorway cruising. By the time I reached home there was quite a long list of items to fix\look at which I've been able to make a start on. Here is the now fairly comprehensive list...
Ski Slope (now resolved)
Wiper blade parking
Drivers Mirror degraded (replacement ordered)
Drivers Sill Carpet
Drivers Seat Leather (base ordered)
Burning Oil Smell * Oil leak
XJR Badges need replacing
NSF Knocking (fixed today, replaced top bushes)
Several Bulbs failed (tonight's job)
Incorrect front indicator lens (replacement ordered)
Rear light cluster cracked
Headlining Sagging
Swap wheels
Oil Sender Unit
Rusty front wings, spot just above windscreen and another just below rear screen. Wrong colour boot, dent in osr wing, and a multitude of scratches
So all in all something more of a project than I was hoping although I've got a few months to put it right before she goes into daily use. So far i'm able to resolve quite a few of the little niggled for not a great outlay, but I am slightly concerned by the oil leak and the amount of potential spray\welding work. I'm off to a bodyshop tomorrow to get some advice, and to find out what the damage is likely to be. Here's a few pics of her.....

pimgmx

Re: 91 Solent Blue XJR

Postby pimgmx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Congrats with the new acquisition!

Sorry to hear it's a bit worse for wear, although I've seen much, much worse cars transformed after some TLC and a modest budget.
Hope you won't find more nasty surprises when you dig in deeper and good luck with the to do list!

the daily: 01 S8 http://bit.ly/2kIwP4m
the tractor: 77 LaRo LW https://bit.ly/2Hr9n6y
the eyecatcher: 93 Insignia http://bit.ly/1iGrmsU
the GT: 89 XJS http://bit.ly/1WQGpC5
the project: 95 X306 http://bit.ly/1cW11DN
the pocket rocket: 97 Z3 http://bit.ly/12IfE7B
the ex: 93 3.2 http://bit.ly/14GTNrq

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi , welcome , it could have been worse if it didn't get you home but seeing as it did that must inspire a bit of confidence , i think we've all learned by now that pictures always flatter but you can't go and see all cars if they're miles away , you sometimes have to take a chance , a bit late now but you could have rejected it if it was significantly not as describe , plenty have , still it doesn't seem too bad , as Pim said we've seen much worse .

Have fun getting to know your new hobby , just don't try and do everything at once or you might lose heart , it's still a good rolling resto , the parking of the wipers by the way could just be a blown fuse , on some early models there's an inline fuse under the passenger side knee bolster , it should be uprated to 10 amps as the 7.5 original kept blowing , otherwise the micro switch may need looking at , best of luck ;)

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks for the welcome chaps.

Funnily enough I didn't realise it was my first post (I've been reading the forum for quite a while, particularly Naki's XJR thread) so it lacked a little context. I've been fortunate enough to drive Jags for nigh on 20 years, having had x308, x350 & x358 XJR's, but although I'd had a 40 3.2s i'd never had an XJR. As it transpired about 18 months ago I turned 40, and wanted to treat myself to a classic... e-type (too expensive), Aston DBS (also too expensive), but, what was turning 40 that same year... The XJS. Another car i'd always fancied was the XJR-S (having drooled over one on my paper round as a teenager) so I found myself a nice one, and perfected it over the last 18 months. That made me fall back in love with the ill fated JaguarSport brand which has brought me full circle back to the XJ40. The intention is to restore her, and use her for my daily driver in about 5-6 months. Fortunately the diligent perusing of Naki's thread had me at least partially prepared for the joys that await.. ;) Anyhow, here's a pic of my other JaguarSport.

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:39 am

Had some time on Saturday to look at a couple more of the smaller problems. I swapped out the OS rear light unit for a new one (the old one was badly cracked) and fitted new LED driving lights to the rear, and one new reverse light... I think you can definitely see the difference. Had a look at the boot floor while changing the lights, a little surface rust but nothing too traumatic. None the less i'll probably sand that back and give it a really good dose of POR-15.
The chap from the bodyshop came to take a look at the car on Saturday, after a good look round he suggested he was up for the challenge and within the budget that i'd allocated. So, as long as the oil leak isn't anything major then it looks like she'll be restored :-)
A few pics from Saturday..
Cracked rear lens prior to change.
Tail LED's fitted and one reverse LED. Here you can see the difference..
Completed Job

Morgan1

Postby Morgan1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 am

Looks a good project. I think those led lights make a massive difference. Are they normal led replacement Bulbs?
Craig
1992 Jaguar xj6 3.2 litre.
2016 Audi A6 S line.
2016 Ford Fiesta zetec.

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Morgan1, yes they do make a huge difference. I used white lights for the reverse lights from ebay.. search 50w led p21w reverse light. I used red led's for the tail light though, they're bright enough to still make a huge difference, even though the originals were white! I'm not sure though, but would imagine that using them will keep the bulb failed light on the dash glowing, but i'd rather be seen than worry about that ;-)

Morgan1

Postby Morgan1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. Just wondering, why the bulb fail light would come On? Is this happening on Yours? Cheers Craig
1992 Jaguar xj6 3.2 litre.
2016 Audi A6 S line.
2016 Ford Fiesta zetec.

carlmt
Snr Member

Postby carlmt » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 pm

As I understand it, the bulb fail light will activate if LED's are fitted because the LED's have less resistance than regular bulbs - and it is the resistance that is measured to de-activate the BFM.

Or it might be that the current draw of the LED's is less than a regular bulb.........

Either one or the other. ;)

CT 8-)
1990 Daimler 4.0 638778
First registered 01.01.1991

xjr41

Postby xjr41 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:11 pm

LED replacement bulbs are obviously the future.
I know there are a couple of electronics gurus on the board, is there any way to fit LEDs and have the BFM be cool with it?
Resistors or something, modified light unit, I don't know.
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration