I'd been looking forward all week to Friday, I'd planned the day off work, and arranged with the garage to come over and progress several of the interior jobs I had left to do. The biggest of which was the swap out of the old dash. It's a personal thing of course, but I've long disliked the clashing beiges in my car, preferring a more traditional dark dashboard. I'd got to thinking last year that I'd dye the current dash back, at the very least getting rid of the beige, but after several conversations with some supportive friends, they persuaded me to change the dash entirely.... and if i'm going to change the dash, it may as well be a Daimler one. So laden with plenty of new goodies I travelled a few miles down the Road to Corby where the action commenced.
Surprisingly, the dash comes out with some ease. Once the binnacle is out it's just four bolts and two screws - a platform at each end behind the dash end covers, and two screws behind the centre vent.
With the dash now out, we moved on to making up the new glovebox and cover. Several little problems delayed us here, including the the locks not working, and having to transfer the boot release switch from my old glovebox to the new one. We also used the best rear lid veneer (i'd brought with me a spare Daimler Glovebox lid, and one also came with the dash), before unravelling my new dash veneer set for the first time, and to fit it to the front of the glovebox. Once done, we fitted the new dash (almost as easy as removing the old one, except for several bits they'd changed between 1989 and 1991
Before replacing the binnacle I swapped on the new black cover, and changed the front 'glass' for a new one which has made a world of difference... This in combination with a new computer that I fitted (the old was literally falling apart) made the whole car feel like new! This pic shows these bits fitted.
Onto the last jobs for the day now.... Replacement Cupholder Centre Armrest, Ski Wood, Ashtray and Gear Knob. Still some fettling needed to make the armrest sit right, but everything went in fairly easily, and in combination with the dash changes makes the car feel very different.
From shabby, old, unloved XJR, to one a little bit closer to restoring its former glory. Before and after pics below...