Make a donation to XJ40.com

91 Solent Blue XJR

naki_k
Super Moderator

Re: 91 Solent Blue XJR

Postby naki_k » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am

Beavis wrote:
naki_k wrote:
Beavis wrote:Thanks both, I'll check the connections and I'll get a new Cap and Rotor arm since they're useful as spares anyway :-)

There’s a pic in here from a meet at Duxford of what happened to member Dazstap, after fitting a new cap/ leads.

Well that was an encouraging picture ;-)

Moral of the story - don't fix what ain't broke? :lol:

It simply shows one of the potential failures that can cause a running issue.
The moral of the story is fact, do service and maintain your car according to schedule, but use quality parts!
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

Dazstap
Snr Member

Postby Dazstap » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:02 pm

That was the thing, I knew mine needed a decent service after only covering 700 miles in 10 years. So I duly replaced all ignition components only to find the cap from British Car Parts was, well, not very good.
On the way to Duxford I remember commenting that it wasn't pulling like usual!
For the record Naki, your cap is still on there. I must still owe you a drink?
Smiling Sovereign Owner

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:04 pm

Dazstap wrote:That was the thing, I knew mine needed a decent service after only covering 700 miles in 10 years. So I duly replaced all ignition components only to find the cap from British Car Parts was, well, not very good.
On the way to Duxford I remember commenting that it wasn't pulling like usual!
For the record Naki, your cap is still on there. I must still owe you a drink?

A 25 year old Lucas cap is better than a brand new BP cap! :lol:
Personally I don’t buy anything from BP.
It seems buying from them is too bigger lottery in more ways than one.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Well the good news is that the non start issue has been resolved. A few minutes putting on a new coil and she was back up and running again.

The bonus is, that having assumed (incorrectly) it was the CPS, it has a new one of those too.. which given the state of the old (probably original) one is a good thing! I think it will be a wise course of action (as you suggested Naki) to change out some of those service items in the coming weeks...!

Thanks for the input all...

The better news, is that having resolved the starting issue, I can now move onto the more fun bits. Next week, installation of new dash.....

Elsa_jag

Postby Elsa_jag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Beavis wrote:Well the good news is that the non start issue has been resolved. A few minutes putting on a new coil and she was back up and running again.

The bonus is, that having assumed (incorrectly) it was the CPS, it has a new one of those too.. which given the state of the old (probably original) one is a good thing! I think it will be a wise course of action (as you suggested Naki) to change out some of those service items in the coming weeks...!

Thanks for the input all...

The better news, is that having resolved the starting issue, I can now move onto the more fun bits. Next week, installation of new dash.....

Don’t want to seem negative... but...

I’ve just been catching up on this thread and the running issue rings a bell with me! My car had a similar issue and still does!

I replaced the CPS, still no good. Replaced the coil as it appeared we had an intermittent spark, the car started and ran much better with a good replacement, but within a few days it was back to the previous condition.

Mine still sits unresolved, awaiting better weather and renewed motivation! I’d be interested to read if you have any further issues!
Regards, Carl

ImageImage
Elsa_1994 3.2 s/ 61000 miles/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Elsa_jag wrote:
Don’t want to seem negative... but...

I’ve just been catching up on this thread and the running issue rings a bell with me! My car had a similar issue and still does!

I replaced the CPS, still no good. Replaced the coil as it appeared we had an intermittent spark, the car started and ran much better with a good replacement, but within a few days it was back to the previous condition.

Mine still sits unresolved, awaiting better weather and renewed motivation! I’d be interested to read if you have any further issues!

Hi Carl,

I'll keep an eye out, but so far she's working well. Next on my list would have been the amplifier and while doing that I was going to check earths. Then i'd have moved on to temp sensor etc...

Still lots to try, don't give up hope just yet :-)

Beavis

XJR Dashboard Change

Postby Beavis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 pm

I'd been looking forward all week to Friday, I'd planned the day off work, and arranged with the garage to come over and progress several of the interior jobs I had left to do. The biggest of which was the swap out of the old dash. It's a personal thing of course, but I've long disliked the clashing beiges in my car, preferring a more traditional dark dashboard. I'd got to thinking last year that I'd dye the current dash back, at the very least getting rid of the beige, but after several conversations with some supportive friends, they persuaded me to change the dash entirely.... and if i'm going to change the dash, it may as well be a Daimler one. So laden with plenty of new goodies I travelled a few miles down the Road to Corby where the action commenced.
Surprisingly, the dash comes out with some ease. Once the binnacle is out it's just four bolts and two screws - a platform at each end behind the dash end covers, and two screws behind the centre vent.

With the dash now out, we moved on to making up the new glovebox and cover. Several little problems delayed us here, including the the locks not working, and having to transfer the boot release switch from my old glovebox to the new one. We also used the best rear lid veneer (i'd brought with me a spare Daimler Glovebox lid, and one also came with the dash), before unravelling my new dash veneer set for the first time, and to fit it to the front of the glovebox. Once done, we fitted the new dash (almost as easy as removing the old one, except for several bits they'd changed between 1989 and 1991 :lol: )

Before replacing the binnacle I swapped on the new black cover, and changed the front 'glass' for a new one which has made a world of difference... This in combination with a new computer that I fitted (the old was literally falling apart) made the whole car feel like new! This pic shows these bits fitted.

Onto the last jobs for the day now.... Replacement Cupholder Centre Armrest, Ski Wood, Ashtray and Gear Knob. Still some fettling needed to make the armrest sit right, but everything went in fairly easily, and in combination with the dash changes makes the car feel very different.
From shabby, old, unloved XJR, to one a little bit closer to restoring its former glory. Before and after pics below...

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm

loving it, and well worth the effort in my opinion

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

Beavis