• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Changed the differential on 93 XJ6-Peace at Last.

darrenwgaransi+

Changed the differential on 93 XJ6-Peace at Last.

Postby darrenwgaransi+ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm

After about 2 years after the rear differential pinion seal went and leaked out all of it’s fluid, I finally bit the bullet and had the whole thing replaced. After the seal went, I had the seal replaced and new fluid added. The differential then had a slight grating sound which was tolerable. In the past couple months, that turned into a turbine sounding whine that completely intolerable. That was pretty much the death knell for the rear differential. I was afraid it would lock up while driving with disastrous results or that it would end up stuck in the garage with locked wheels. A rebuilt differential was ordered and installed. The rebuilt unit was about $1175 with a couple hundred added for shipping. 13 hours labor resulted in everything back to normal. The rear is now dead quiet and the car drives like a dream (and I am $$$ poor-such is life).
Darren W. Garansi
1993 XJ6, 4.0

Aidan
Snr Member

Re: Changed the differential on 93 XJ6-Peace at Last.

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Glad your diff is sorted now Darren. I had heard these were uneconomical to repair, but maybe as XJ40 values rise, this may be changing?
Are XJ40s a common site in New Jersey?
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

darrenwgaransi+

Re: Changed the differential on 93 XJ6-Peace at Last.

Postby darrenwgaransi+ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi Aidan,

I'm not sure how popular the XJ40 is in New Jersey. I've really only seen mine on the road. There's someone who works in my office complex that has an XJ6 that is something like a 1998 model year. I've seen one or two of those. I do see XJ40s for sale in this area on Craigslist and I've seen a few in the junkyards where I get parts. I am glad it is running right though; the body is in perfect shape and I've worked out many of the issues myself including repairing the air conditioning, changing the brake pads, replacing the headliner and a myriad of electronic issues. I also redid the suspension on my own, so I guess the differential was the first really big expense.
Darren W. Garansi
1993 XJ6, 4.0

Return to “93-94”