David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Living with Lady Penelope in the Wild Wild West

Starbuck
Snr Member

Re: Living with Lady Penelope in the Wild Wild West

Postby Starbuck » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Babulio,

babulio wrote:I think it is illegal to warn other drivers of speed traps like that.

It certainly is here anyway. Someone I once worked with tried to talk his way out of a fine for doing this and ended up with a defect notice instead (which required his car to go over the pits to remove) for "Headlights flash on and off intermittently". He should have just stuck with the fine....

Best,

Starbuck
'94 XJ12 (and other toys)

Elsa_jag
Snr Member

Postby Elsa_jag » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:54 pm

babulio wrote:I think it is illegal to warn other drivers of speed traps like that.

I've been 'told off' by the police for doing just that...

Still do it though :D
Regards, Carl

ImageImage
Elsa_1994 3.2 s/ 61000 miles/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

Rok_Dr
Snr Member

Postby Rok_Dr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Well Lady P has reached her second anniversary, living in WA and therefore time for a short update.

Since the trip to Albany in June we have had a relatively quiet time. Last weekend I finally got under her to properly fix the broken J connector for the headlight washers, which had been bodged up with cable ties and washer tube in times past. First attempt using a normal T piece was a failure as water proceeded to syphon out through the washers. Hadn't realised that the J connector had a "pressure valve" function to stop such behaviour, which was why the cable ties kept popping. So a couple of small hose clamps later the washer tube is firmly attached and headlight washers are functioning and washer bottle stays full. As is becoming the norm the J connector is NLA so I'll keep my eye out for a reasonably priced one on Flea bay.

Today she had her periodic visit to the mechanic and in addition to the service got the brakes flushed and diff oil changed. Otherwise no untoward problems requiring immediate attention, which is nice.

WRT statistics we travelled just under 4500km last year averaging 16l/100km and no speeding tickets :) This makes a total of 8500km in 2 years.

Cheers

Steve
12 - 1994 Jaguar XJ12 "Lady Penelope"
6 - 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Grand Prix
5 - 2003 Discovery 2 S Td5 "Charlie"
4 - 2002 Nissan Pulsar ST "Iggy"
0 - 2006 19'6" Windsor Genesis "The Castle"

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:01 am

Hi Steve,

Well, clearly we have some catching up to do with 'Bast'! 8500km over two years beats our total by a significant amount :? Must get off my lazy backside and do that valve body.

XJ81 ownership obviously agrees with you and it is great to have seen Lady P getting some good runs and being put to good use for various duties over the last couple of years. 16l per 100km as an average is not too bad either when you consider the power available under your right foot when needed (and no doubt used from time to time!).

Here's to another two years of happy XJ81 motoring! :D

Best,

Starbuck

Rok_Dr
Snr Member

Postby Rok_Dr » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:26 am

Hi Starbuck

Looking at it another way, I seem to recall that Bast has travelled a few more Kms than Lady P, so perhaps it is we who should be playing catchup :)

Cheers

Steve

Rok_Dr
Snr Member

Postby Rok_Dr » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:48 pm

A quiet wet weekend has given me some time to attend to a few small jobs on Lady P.

As noted in the following post I'm slowly closing in on her lack of seat memory, Unfortunately no easy solutions and it appears that the potentiometers in the seat back are either out of adjustment or broken. Time for a breather an a bit more research here.

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=997494&p=171024#p171024

I also relined the oddment tray to the right of the steering wheel, as the old fabric had lifted and the backing foam crumbled. Replaced it with some non slip shelf matting and glued it into place with contact cement. No more clunking of the garage door controller :D :D

Cheers

Steve

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:12 am

Interesting on the seat memory. Must admit I have never even used any of mine, as its only me who drives them. Though of course it's a nice quest to have absolutely everything working on the car.

I thought that tray was only for sunglasses? The rubber mat is a good idea though. I think the original material is of the same quality as the headlinings on these.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 3.2 XJ6 SportPack Manual
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

dstary

Postby dstary » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Steve,

My little oddment tray has the same affliction as yours, although I hope your non-slip material has a nice coefficient of friction with your garage remote - I can't see much staying in that tray with an aggressive launch from the lights! That said, a very conservative sprint got me a nice even 8.0s to 100km/h (just a mash of the throttles in drive, albeit with sport mode engaged), so maybe your remote is safe! On that note, 1st shifted out at closer to 5500rpm than 6000rpm, and I certainly didn't load up any revs in neutral prior to shifting to drive, so I'm not dissatisfied with the pace. Besides, I'll let the XJ12 boys deal with the races - it's no environment for a Daimler :)

I've put 8000km on the DD6, and so far no dramas. We're slurping fuel at 14.4L every 100km, and the cassette player has packed it in, so the iPhone via cassette adaptor is out of action, but I'm surprised how well 6 CDs can serve me. The new Polk speakers have been a massive improvement there.

Headlining still needs doing, I need to look at that heater blend motor (I keep getting external air on my feet whether hot or cold - face vents are good) and the timber on the sunroof control panel needs a little adhesive at the corners.

On the plus side, these XJ81s are fantastic. No contest with an X308 (XJR) for sprint performance, but they feel much more "Jaguar" - the X305 is right up there too. The ride is lovely, and even the comfort of the Daimler suspension will accept a hell of a lot of loading up in corners - just perhaps not as sharp as an XJ12 in slalom-style corners.

I'm looking at aftermarket ECU for fuel and spark for the XJS (with a view to a 7.5L rebuild within 12 months), so it is getting the $ love at the moment, but the DD6 is getting the other love (kms).

Dave
1985 XJS HE (manual conversion)
1994 Daimler Double Six (XJ81)

Rok_Dr
Snr Member

Postby Rok_Dr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:27 am

Hi Dave

I used some of that open weave nonslip matting which you can buy for caravans and find at Coles/Wollies for a couple of $ for small roll in the kitchen section. The tray has a small forward slope and nothing has moved in some spirited driving on the weekend :)

Nice to see you are putting on some serious kms and enjoying the experience. WRT to Audio I have to admit I've never used the cassette in Lady P and so far have stuck to using the radio and stacker. I'm contemplating upgrading the stereo so as to get Bluetooth and ordered the ISO adaptor and surround of ebay the other week in preparation. Its a simple plug and play install.

Rebuilding the XJS to 7.5l sounds like serious business. I'm sure Starbuck will have plenty to contribute on the matter :) :) :)

Cheers

Steve

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:57 am

Hi Steve, Dave and Naki,

On the materials used in our cars I suspect Naki is right when he talks about the headliners etc. Pretty much all British cars I have owned have had various materials that "some guy that knows some guy he met at the pub last Saturday mentioned he might have a contact that could get a bunch of this stuff cheap that was left over from the war (probably WW1 or Crimea) - if you are interested". It was probably past its best when glued on in the first place, let alone 25 or 30 years down the track :roll:

Unless you were brutal and left foot braked an XJ81 to load up the torque converter, I think you would be hard pressed to get too much stuff flung about the place away from the lights. Even if you did load up the torque converter I think you are more likely to lose most of any gains in tyre smoke as there is a bit too much inertia and too little rubber on the road in these cars to make slingshot starts. As mentioned elsewhere we are running 245s on our XJS with a manual and 3.58 diff, and trying to improve standing start times invariably just results in anti-social outcomes. These big cars are at their best when they have a bit of momentum up - at which point they are very quick.

A 7.5 litre car sounds interesting. You might find you are limited with aftermarket ECU choice unless you want to run your injectors in banks as per the factory setup, as not many out there will support sequential injection on a 12 cyl. Aftermarket should give some good options for crank-triggered coil packs though - much like the very last V12s. The standard exhaust manifolds will be manifestly inadequate too, so be prepared spread more of that $$ love about when it comes time to do the exhaust. You'll have to refresh my memory about your gearbox - didn't you have a W58 in your car? Even with carefully built internals a W58 will be marginal with a 7.5 litre V12; you may need to go to an R154.

Best,

Starbuck

Return to “XJ-81”