David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

MOT!!!

Aidan
Snr Member

MOT!!!

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:04 pm

My X300 passed its MOT today :D

I was a bit concerned as the brakes pump a bit, as if the discs might be slighly warped, but they were fine.

At first it failed because a headlamp was loose and therefore out of alignment. So before I left the garage I had a look and saw that somehow it had popped out of its lowest fixing which is a small ball-in-socket mounting - a bit like a hip joint - which holds it in place while allowing it to move slightly for adjustment. So I pushed the headlamp until it clicked back into place and had it re-tested there and then. It passed with no problems. So that's legal for another year. One less thing to worry about.

I was able to see the relevant fixing by opening the bonnet and looking down behind the lamp assembly while pushing the loose headlamp. I could see the green ball-joint (smaller than a petite pois) wasn't located in the socket, so I just pushed the headlamp in front of the fixing and it clicked back into place with a very satisfying "click". I'm not sure what made the headlamp pop out of its fixing in the first place - perhaps hitting a bad bump or pothole in our 3rd world roads would do it? - but in case any of you X300 owners experience this glitch, I hope this helps you to fix it.
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

Brake buster
Snr Member

Re: MOT!!!

Postby Brake buster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 pm

excellent 8-)

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Sand interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

NMV 1E
Snr Member

Re: MOT!!!

Postby NMV 1E » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 am

I've experienced something very similar with a "Fish Tank" headlamp unit ... The beam was wrong (can't remember whether too high, or left or right), I adjusted the plastic nut / adjuster whatsit until it was flush with the lamp body the beam was just about alright... It passed an M.O.T. Months later the bulb needed replacing. Lo and behold the whole lamp housing was loose inside the headlamp unit. A few minutes fiddling had the housing clipped back in place, A wonderful sound too, if I may say so.
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2006 Baby Blue Hyundai Getz 1.4 CDX (yes I know, but you'd be surprised, I was !)
1989 White and Navy Blue V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)
1992 Tornado Red V.W. Golf "tintop" 5 door (G.T.i.)

Return to “X-300”