SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

rear air vent parts

XJ40 Paul
Snr Member

Re: rear air vent parts

Postby XJ40 Paul » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Aidan wrote:My X300 hs a whole car full of broken vent connectors. I'm thinking of buying some ABS plastic sheet and cutting out my own replacements. I doubt it's difficult although it'll be fiddly. I think the min difficulty is getting the vent out and separating each one into two to actually get at the offending piece of dried pasta that Jaguar used :( .

Hi Aidan , if you could send me one of your old broken vanes I could tell you what they are made of , I can also get you some PC/ABS sheet if it seems suitable for the job , regards Paul .
Paulus The Wood Gnome .
1988 Jaguar 3.6 .
2000 Range Rover P38 DSE daily driver .

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:13 pm

xj40 paul wrote:
Aidan wrote:My X300 hs a whole car full of broken vent connectors. I'm thinking of buying some ABS plastic sheet and cutting out my own replacements. I doubt it's difficult although it'll be fiddly. I think the min difficulty is getting the vent out and separating each one into two to actually get at the offending piece of dried pasta that Jaguar used :( .

Hi Aidan , if you could send me one of your old broken vanes I could tell you what they are made of , I can also get you some PC/ABS sheet if it seems suitable for the job , regards Paul .

Paul, I'm so sorry I missed this post of yours. My apologies for seeming ungrateful to you for your offer. I really didin't intend that, I just missed the post completely, even though I had notifications ticked.

So, thank you for your offer, it was very generous of you and - if it still stands - I would like to take you up on it or at least ask your advice on plastics if I ever get round to dealing with this issue on my X300. As it happens, more urgent things needed to be done to both that car and our other car so such luxuries as being able to direct cabin air where I want it, have had to take a back seat unfortunately.

Thanks again for the kind offer.

Regards,
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

katar83

Postby katar83 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:29 pm

I think I've spent at least 3 hours sorting out a rear vent on my new x300 just three weeks ago... I still have cuts on my hands from getting it all out and still have to sort out front vents too :lol:

Sorting either front or rear vents is super fiddly, getting rear one out is difficult too ;)
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 am

katar83 wrote:I think I've spent at least 3 hours sorting out a rear vent on my new x300 just three weeks ago... I still have cuts on my hands from getting it all out and still have to sort out front vents too :lol:

Sorting either front or rear vents is super fiddly, getting rear one out is difficult too ;)

All because of those flimsy connecting clips that fall to bits.
How did you fix them then?
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

katar83

Postby katar83 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:27 am

Basically built one from two Naki, plus I wanted to have rear lighter in my new x300 exec and getting that sucker out of its enclosure is a proper mission impossible! :evil:

Connecting fins can be glued up or cut out from other materials or even 3D printed easily. I've managed to get two not broken ones out so used that and glued up one for the old car and it worked too, just a pain to remove as everything is super tight and/or glued up.
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

XJ40 Paul
Snr Member

Postby XJ40 Paul » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Aidan wrote:
xj40 paul wrote:

Paul, I'm so sorry I missed this post of yours. My apologies for seeming ungrateful to you for your offer. I really didin't intend that, I just missed the post completely, even though I had notifications ticked.

So, thank you for your offer, it was very generous of you and - if it still stands - I would like to take you up on it or at least ask your advice on plastics if I ever get round to dealing with this issue on my X300. As it happens, more urgent things needed to be done to both that car and our other car so such luxuries as being able to direct cabin air where I want it, have had to take a back seat unfortunately.

Regards,
Hi Aidan , do you want to send me a piece of one of your old vanes so I can find out what it is actually made of & we can go from there ? regards Paul .
Paulus The Wood Gnome .
1988 Jaguar 3.6 .

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:52 pm

katar83 wrote:Basically built one from two Naki, plus I wanted to have rear lighter in my new x300 exec and getting that sucker out of its enclosure is a proper mission impossible! :evil:

Connecting fins can be glued up or cut out from other materials or even 3D printed easily. I've managed to get two not broken ones out so used that and glued up one for the old car and it worked too, just a pain to remove as everything is super tight and/or glued up.

yes indeed. it could not possibly be easy.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:28 am

xj40 paul wrote:
Aidan wrote:
xj40 paul wrote:Hi Aidan , if you could send me one of your old broken vanes I could tell you what they are made of , I can also get you some PC/ABS sheet if it seems suitable for the job , regards Paul .

Regards,
Hi Aidan , do you want to send me a piece of one of your old vanes so I can find out what it is actually made of & we can go from there ? regards Paul .

Hi Paul, I'll have to see if I can fish out a piece of broken connector from one of the vents. Bearing in mind this is not the actual vent vane or fin you see from inside the car, it's the tiny plastic connector piece that clips onto the back of the vanes or fins to ensure they all move in unison, and is invisible to view. As Katar has said, they're really difficult to access so I'll try to use long nose pliers or tweezers and perhaps snap off a bit of the remaining connector piece. They're so sub-standard it shouldn't be difficult to break a piece off as long as I can reach it. I'll see if I have any luck tomorrow, though it's going to be a busy day. I wonder if ABS would be okay in an environment that's always heating up and cooling down such as in a ventilation air-flow?
I'll be in touch if I have any success. From what Katar says, reproducing these items seems easy, it's reaching them that's a nightmare.

Regards,
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

XJ40 Paul
Snr Member

Postby XJ40 Paul » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 am

Aidan wrote:
Hi Paul, I'll have to see if I can fish out a piece of broken connector from one of the vents. Bearing in mind this is not the actual vent vane or fin you see from inside the car, it's the tiny plastic connector piece that clips onto the back of the vanes or fins to ensure they all move in unison, and is invisible to view. As Katar has said, they're really difficult to access so I'll try to use long nose pliers or tweezers and perhaps snap off a bit of the remaining connector piece. They're so sub-standard it shouldn't be difficult to break a piece off as long as I can reach it. I'll see if I have any luck tomorrow, though it's going to be a busy day. I wonder if ABS would be okay in an environment that's always heating up and cooling down such as in a ventilation air-flow?
I'll be in touch if I have any success. From what Katar says, reproducing these items seems easy, it's reaching them that's a nightmare.

Regards,
Ok , good luck with it .
Paulus The Wood Gnome .
1988 Jaguar 3.6 .