• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

'Cate's Cat' (Starbuck's XJS - and other stuff)

Starbuck
Snr Member

'Cate's Cat' (Starbuck's XJS - and other stuff)

Postby Starbuck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 am

All,

After Naki's (fair) request for some photos of our XJS, I thought I would give this photo thing another go after my previous failed attempt! Let's see if I can get this to work. If I can, I put some more up.

'Cate's Cat' at the top of the Bathurst motor racing circuit (Mt Panorama).

And again at my mother's place in NSW - note the large chunk of missing chrome from the headlight trim as a result of being hit with a stone thrown up from a truck! My better half and I had been arguing about which was best - keeping the original oval headlights or going to quads. I wanted the ovals - after this I agreed to the quads because they are much cheaper to replace!

Let's see if these work - if they do I'll post some more!

Best,

Starbuck
'94 XJ12 (and other toys)

Starbuck
Snr Member

Re: 'Cate's Cat' (Starbuck's XJS - and other stuff)

Postby Starbuck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:25 am

Okay all - success with photos!

A shot of the (sorry, not washed) engine bay of 'Cate's Cat'. Newly fitted intake horns have yet to be painted. They are 2.5" as opposed to the original 1", and flow a lot more air. She now sports a 6.0 XJS engine fan. At this point I was also half way through removing the deceleration valves from the front of each plenum chamber and relocating some relays etc to tidy the bay. Despite predictions of gloom and melted catalytic converters if the deceleration valves are removed, the fuel-cut rpm setting of the ECU has prevented all such disasters occurring.

Lots of stuff in here. First of all, revised wiring loom that gets the wires out of the 'valley'. Fuel rail lowered for other modifications (different cruise control unit). Uprated single pressure regulator relocated to the 'return' side of the rail. 'Two eared' crimp on clamps on all hose connections.

Close up of loom and method of attachment.

All loom connections now at the back of the engine at the firewall. With the exception of the starter motor and alternator main cables, everything else (all sensors - AC compressor clutch wiring etc) break at the firewall at three plugs. In theory this will make the engine easier to remove again in the future if need be - but of course there has never been a need!

Revised fuel pump lines. The spaghetti of rubber fuel lines in the boot replaced with hard lines and rubber connections - again, all crimped on with two eared clamps except where roller clamps are used to service items like the fuel filter and pump. Note the fuel tank now sits on rubber pads, rather than a mat - this is to stop the tank from rusting from underneath (hence the black anti-rust paint too) that XJS tanks are notorious for.

More to follow.

Best,

Starbuck

P.S. I have nothing against spaghetti - I just like it on my dinner plate, not in my boot full of fuel....
Last edited by Starbuck on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 am

Next instalment,

Modified clutch pedal return spring. The standard spring breaks very easily and is unobtanium. This is a Land Rover Defender 'over centre' spring and nylon bushes fitted to the Jaguar pedal box. It makes for a much nicer clutch feel and isn't likely to break anytime soon.

Manual pedal box in place - note the revised main engine bay loom that runs behind the brake pedal tower. New clutch master cylinder to the right in the photo.

PITA reversal of the selector on the R154 box - needed to get the shift lever to come out in the right spot in the XJS console. This is in the fourth gear position and you can see there isn't much wriggle room between the front of the selector and the box casing. As a result, the lower section of the shift housing was made of steel (stronger at the thickness required) and I used an aluminium 'short shift' kit ball housing for the upper section only.

Custom instrument cluster and Nardi wheel. The cluster fascia is slightly curved and 'flatted' to reduce glare - of course what I should have done was fit flat back instrument rings if I really wanted to reduce glare! Oops. The tacho and speedo are transposed so that the range you need to see here - i.e. the upper revs of the tacho and the lower register of the speedo are not obscured by the smaller wheel. I could have used a late XJS cluster, but I wanted to do something different that mirrored the original XJS design with the speedo and tacho at the outer edges (the cowl is off in the photo so I could do some wiring).

Best,

Starbuck

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:58 am

Yet more,

3.58 (XJ81) gears in an XJS diff housing. This was just before I fitted the 'hall ring' to the machined section to the right for the speedo sender unit to pick up on.

Centre and rear mufflers for the exhaust system (from the discussion in the V12 thread). The system has larger downpipes through 2.5" high-flow cats into the 2.5" centre muffler, which sits in the tunnel behind the gearbox. From there the system is 2.25" under the rear axle cage and then out via the two cylindrical mufflers in the photo. I originally (stupidly) fitted the standard tailpipes to try to keep the car looking standard - they made the most awful whistling sound at speed - this discovered on a long trip of course..... They have now been replaced with 2.5" tapered tips.

Best,

Starbuck

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:09 am

And finally,

You will probably never ask for photos from me again Naki - not for a while anyway ;) These are not Jaguar photos, but photos of other toys.

Various toys sitting in the workshop. The XJC is sold now of course, but we still have the other two.

My sister's husband and daughter in the background during a visit to see them in Sydney - wanting to see Aunty Starbuck's 'sports car'.

Motorsport E39 on a trip to visit mum. Because it is nearly 1000km each way, we stop overnight in a small town called Cootamundra. This is in the local memorial park.

E39 at mum's place (same place as the first photo of 'Cate's Cat').

And finally - yes the roads in Australia really are as great as you read about :D Before you drop me in it for taking the photo whilst driving, we were stopped at road works and I figured it was as good a time as any to grab a quick shot.

I had better stop 'goofing off' now and do some actual work :?

Best,

Starbuck

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:54 am

Oh yeah,

And now I can work these things - here's Bast in all of her XJ81 glory :D She is, after all, what this forum is really all about!

Best,

Starbuck

pimgmx
Distinguished Mbr

Postby pimgmx » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:58 am

A most entertaining read, Starbuck!
I admire your attention for detail: upgrading cruise control on a sprint monster like this is not something I would've thought of! :D

Suffering from a severe fit of skills envy now... ;)

the daily: 01 S8 http://bit.ly/2kIwP4m
the tractor: 77 LaRo LW https://bit.ly/2Hr9n6y
the eyecatcher: 93 Insignia http://bit.ly/1iGrmsU
the GT: 89 XJS http://bit.ly/1WQGpC5
the project: 95 X306 http://bit.ly/1cW11DN
the pocket rocket: 97 Z3 http://bit.ly/12IfE7B
the ex: 93 3.2 http://bit.ly/14GTNrq

Rensdd6
Snr Member

Postby Rensdd6 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:08 am

Goodmorning Starbuck,

Well, at least it is in the morning at this side of the planet, but you have worked hard while we were sleeping! It is a flabbergasting (I like that word, we don't have an equivalent in Dutch) tour through your broad set of skills! And cars of course, but collecting cars we all can. And I don't think Naki or anyone of us dislike posting so many photos, so … go ahead …

[I made at last a selection of photos of Dunkeld but wonder to publish them, it is a small selection but still large …]

pimgmx wrote:Suffering from a severe fit of skills envy now …

Likewise!

Of course I understand only part of what you described. I guess I understand what "'two eared' crimp on clamps on all hose connections" means, what are they and why and how to use them? 'Roller clamps' is what we are used to? [Slangenklemmen?! Pim's english is better]

Starbuck wrote:note the large chunk of missing chrome from the headlight trim as a result of being hit with a stone thrown up from a truck!

If it would have hit the bodywork you would probably be more in trouble.

Starbuck wrote:Despite predictions of gloom and melted catalytic converters if the deceleration valves are removed, the fuel-cut rpm setting of the ECU has prevented all such disasters occurring.

I have read about the first part, but the rest is a mystery to me, abacadabra!

Starbuck wrote:Centre and rear mufflers for the exhaust system (from the discussion in the V12 thread). The system has larger downpipes through 2.5" high-flow cats into the 2.5" centre muffler, which sits in the tunnel behind the gearbox. From there the system is 2.25" under the rear axle cage and then out via the two cylindrical mufflers in the photo. I originally (stupidly) fitted the standard tailpipes to try to keep the car looking standard - they made the most awful whistling sound at speed - this discovered on a long trip of course..... They have now been replaced with 2.5" tapered tips.

What stainless steel do you use? I can imagine that you do the welding yourself, but the bending?! If I would ever do the pipes over the rear axle (of an XJ40), I guess it will be almost impossible to make all bents right. It is a kind of … spaghetti there and there is not much space!
"Tailpipes … 2.5" tapered tips", isn't that too large to look decent?

Thanks a lot for sharing! All the best,
Rens
Dongen, The Netherlands
1982 Rover SD1 shell
1985 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas 383,000 km
1985 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas wreck
1987 Rover 825 Sterling
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse
1991 Daimler donor
1992 Daimler regency
1992 Daimler donor
1993 Daimler Double Six solent blue
1993 Daimler Double Six brooklands
1993 Daimler Insignia

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Hi Pim and Rens,

Both of you have seen some of these photos before so some of this will not be a surprise to you.

pimgmx wrote:upgrading cruise control on a sprint monster like this is not something I would've thought of!

She is now running a Bosch cable unit that operates on the top cable groove of the throttle wheel. To get it to work I had to shift the throttle cable to the bottom groove (all about geometry), and that meant lowering the throttle capstan assembly, and that meant lowering the fuel rail! The Bosch system is compact, light, and operates off the same 'hall signal' on the differential that the speedo uses. We cover huge distances here and 'Cate's Cat' gets used along with our other toys, so cruise control is pretty much a must.

Rensdd6 wrote:[I made at last a selection of photos of Dunkeld but wonder to publish them, it is a small selection but still large …]

You should publish them - especially for those of us that couldn't make it!

As for my skills, they have taken a long time to develop and some of my efforts when younger were neither successful nor smart (weld a fuel tank anyone?). I spent many years working on engineering projects that were significantly more complex and significantly more expensive if you got them wrong, so cars are fun for me rather than hard work (except when I drop heavy bits on myself, cut myself, try to rip thumbnails off, burn myself, hit my head under the car, get grit in my eyes from under the car..........).

'Two eared' clamps use a tool to compress the 'ears' but the tool is too large to get into some of the places I used the clamps. To get around it I made my own clamshell tool - just a large nut cut in halves and ground to the correct shape, before being tapped for a grade 10 cap head screw that goes through both halves. You place the tool over either side of the ear and use an allen key in the cap head screw to compress the two halves of the clamshell together, which squeezes the ear together. As I said, roller clamps are still used on things like the fuel filter and pump so they can be serviced easily.

Rensdd6 wrote:I have read about the first part, but the rest is a mystery to me, abacadabra!

On pre-Marelli V12s the combination of high manifold vacuum, lots of unburnt fuel and lots of ignition timing (vacuum) advance with the throttle closed on overrun at high revs, means unburned fuel gets dumped into the exhaust and provides that 'popping' from the exhaust we all love so much. Problem is, it produces lots of hydrocarbons and can shatter the substrate in ceramic catalytic converters and damage metal converters. Jaguar used valves on the front of each plenum so that when the throttle is closed in the above circumstances, fresh air is drawn into the plenum from the air box and it burns the fuel in the exhaust properly - no popping, no destroyed catalytic converters. Later versions of the Lucas ECUs used different programming and shut down the fuel flow more effectively with the throttle closed, so it is less of a risk and I took advantage of that and removed the valves. It was suggested to me that removal of the valves would destroy the catalytic converters despite my assurances the later programming would stop that happening - so I removed them, tidied up the engine bay a little more, and showed them it was just fine :D

Rensdd6 wrote:What stainless steel do you use? I can imagine that you do the welding yourself, but the bending?!

I depends on what I am doing, but the highest grade I ever use on an exhaust is 1610. Higher grades of stainless work harden and then crack when used on the long exhausts of road cars - even though it looks cool when polished. I do the welding, but not the bending - I have a local exhaust shop that bends the tube to whatever angle I specify.

Rensdd6 wrote:"Tailpipes … 2.5" tapered tips", isn't that too large to look decent?

It might be that my English doesn't translate too well - basically a bit of polished stainless steel 2.5" tubing that is cut off at an angle. The tips are up pretty close to the underside of the rear bumper (the openings are slightly deeper on our car - our one concession to modification of the bodywork) to get a better angle for the rear mufflers so the bottom of the mufflers follow the upward taper of the bodyline at the rear. The tips are actually quite hard to see at all now.

We're settled in for the evening with the heater on here - nice to be able to relax at home for a night in :)

Best,

Starbuck

P.S. Don't forget those Dunkeld photos Rens!

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:02 am

Excellent post. I think we all really enjoy the "build thread" format, where everyone can follow progress on projects, and looking back it's a good way of seeing just how far projects come along.

If you have seen how many pics I have posted in my time here, you will know there's no such thing as too many pictures.
Keep them coming.

Btw, that's a tight squeeze for three cars in a double garage! Reminds me of some of my car shuffling to fit them inside!
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 3.2 XJ6 SportPack Manual
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 4.0 X306 XJR