• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

'Cate's Cat' (Starbuck's XJS - and other stuff)

Starbuck
Snr Member

Re: 'Cate's Cat' (Starbuck's XJS - and other stuff)

Postby Starbuck » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:38 am

Hi Naki,

naki_k wrote:Btw, that's a tight squeeze for three cars in a double garage! Reminds me of some of my car shuffling to fit them inside!

It was a bit tight! I had broken one rule and started to do some work on a car in our 'stables', so the yellow MR2 and the XJC had to be squeezed in somewhere and that's where they ended up! 'House rules' for us are two cars in the workshop at any given time, but in theory that rule applies only to cars being worked on so my argument was I bent that rule, not broke it like the other one :)

When working on projects I tend only to take photos of unusual parts of builds, or modifications like fitting the Defender clutch return spring to the Jaguar pedal box and the custom instrument cluster. I'll try to do better now I am on this forum so other people get a better idea of how I do some things.

Now the weather is warming up a bit I will turn my mind to a thread for the valve body rebuild for Bast. After doing some research I have discovered what is causing Bast's transmission to throw a transmission light once her transmission is hot. Interestingly enough I found another thread on here from a couple of years back with the same 'mystery fault' on another XJ81, so there will likely be others come up over time. I have also bought a shift correction kit (sometimes referred to as a 'stage 1' kit) for Bast's transmission and will fit that as well since it can be done with the transmission in the car and will increase transmission clutch life. I'll have to psych myself up a bit to do this one, mostly because I hate working under cars no matter what and a lot of this will be under the car - oh well.

Best,

Starbuck
'94 XJ12 (and other toys)

Rok_Dr
Snr Member

Postby Rok_Dr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:44 am

Hi Starbuck

Great to see the photos and details of what is a rather unique XJS. I can't help feeling there is a whiff of Truimph 2500S in your dash layout though. And you've now got me thinking about an exhaust upgrade :twisted:

Look forward to seeing more information/pics/stories etc.

Which reminds me I need to update Lady P's blog as we have just clicked over another year.

Cheers

Steve
12 - 1994 Jaguar XJ12 "Lady Penelope"
6 - 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Grand Prix
5 - 2003 Discovery 2 S Td5 "Charlie"
4 - 2002 Nissan Pulsar ST "Iggy"
0 - 2006 19'6" Windsor Genesis "The Castle"

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:27 am

Hi Steve,

Rok_Dr wrote:I can't help feeling there is a whiff of Truimph 2500S in your dash layout though.

Actually, the factory XJS facelift dash (much the same as the '40) is laid out much more like the 2500 than ours is. The layout of ours was deliberately done to keep the speedo and tacho at the outer edges of the dash, with the minor instruments and warning lights in between, like the original XJS layout but replacing the 'slot machine' minor instruments with round Jaguar S3 units. Most period British cars including Jaguars had both major instruments towards the centre and the minor instruments to the outside, just like our '40s. The warning light cluster has been used in a myriad of British cars, including Triumphs, but I like it better than either the S2 or S3 vertical strip of warning lights. As mentioned earlier I transposed the speedo and tacho so that with the smaller steering wheel you can clearly see the 4 to 7000 rpm range and the 100 to 140 kph range (for obvious reasons!). Below is the cluster in progress and compared with the original XJS layout.

Rok_Dr wrote:And you've now got me thinking about an exhaust upgrade

When I'm doing 'Bast's' valve body I am tempted to modify the exhaust whilst I have it off. I already have a couple of 2.5" 200CPI high flow metallic core cats for that very purpose.....

That DD6 for sale on Carsales is now up on the Shannons website for auction. I have written to them to advise them the numbers of DD6 in the country they quote is misleading based on advice from JDHT, but haven't heard back and don't expect to. It is in their interest to make what is a rare car sound even rarer I guess.

Best,

Starbuck

Rok_Dr
Snr Member

Postby Rok_Dr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Starbuck

Indeed the warning light cluster was what caught my eye, reminding me of the Triumph.

Well spotted regarding the DD6. With your eagle eye I sometimes wonder why you didn't pounce on Lady P given we were looking around the same time and she was also a Melb car. That's the second time this car has appeared on Shannons (Ist sold in 2013 at $20.5K in Sydney) and 4th time its appeared for sale. Reading the condition report it still has the the squealing belt/idler pulley problem, that was present, when I test drove it in June 2014. Sounds like it has been parked up with only a further 1500km in the last 2 years.

As to the advert it does rather look like someone, this time round, has researched the model.... but is really selective in quoting numbers. According to the XJ40.weebly site and this forum, they are correct in that 1102 SWB DD6's were made and from the email I got from the JHT, 6 1993 DD6's were imported to Australia. But there were another 7 DD6's in 1994 out of the total 38........... The new 1993 price is also correct.

With no reserve it's almost tempting to pitch a low ball offer and use it as spares car, except, passenger dash side, door hinges and rear suspension are incompatible with Bast and Lady P. Plus the interior is the wrong colour and when I saw it it still had the rear SLS fitted.

Cheers

Steve

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi Steve,

Without suggesting any particular outcome or wishing to name names, I have been privately contacted by one of our members wanting to know if I know any more about the car than is in the description. That was really the only reason I knew it was up for auction at Shannons - not through any special ability to sniff out XJ81s!.

At 88,000km I would be tempted to spend time and money on bringing it back up to scratch rather than using it as a parts car. It seems a shame to kill off one of the rare (even if not so rare as Shannons are stating) DD6s in Australia. I wasn't sure if the SLS was still fitted even though the tank was still present, but I will confirm that detail to the interested party.

I'll look forward to reading your update on Lady P.

Best,

Starbuck

Rok_Dr
Snr Member

Postby Rok_Dr » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi Starbuck

You're right it's too good to part out and you may cross the lashes and use salt to punish me for such heresy :D :D

If needed I do have some brief notes on the car I can PM to you.

Cheers

Steve

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:16 pm

Excellent Starbuck !

I've been curious about the details of your car, and now you start to reveal them.
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
XJ40 3.2 LHD 1992 (VIN: ...660341). Owned since Nov 9th 2005
XJ-S V12 coupe 1977 (SW53309BW). Owned since April 28th 2016. http://www.xj-s.dk/home/
Citroën 2CV 1975. Owned since Sep 1st 1984
Board member of Jaguar Club of Denmark

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:41 am

Hi Leo,

Apart from the modifications in the photos on the first page of this post, 'Cate's Cat' is a pretty basic Tungsten (grey or blue depending on who you talk to) '88 XJS with Doeskin interior. She isn't a 'trailer queen' by any means and has a few little nicks and marks in her paint that need doing at some point, and a headlining that is getting dangerously close to needing replacing. As best I can remember them her mechanical specs are as follows:

Engine internals are standard 11.5/1 Australian 'low' compression - larger diameter air cleaner 'ram tubes' as per the photos - 3.0bar fuel pressure regulator - ignition amplifier and coil relocated to the firewall - distributor centrifugal and vacuum advance curves remapped - exhaust manifolds ported at outlets - 2" downpipes into 2.5" 200CPI metallic core catalytic converters - 2.5" system to 2.5" centre muffler - 2.25" system to 2.25" rear mufflers - Lucas 16CU ECU reprogrammed to suit (mostly for the full throttle switch fitted to Australian cars). Run on 95 to 98 octane fuel only now (the Australian cars could run on 91). She is still pretty quiet and meets all emissions requirements for her year.

Toyota R154 'Supra Turbo' five speed gearbox with relocated standard throw shifter - standard Jaguar V12 flywheel and clutch - hydraulic throw out bearing and braided lines - standard Jaguar clutch master cylinder.

3.58 differential with standard limited slip centre - gears are modified XJ81 and fitted with '40/81 'hall ring' for the differential mounted speedo sender.

Bilstein 'sport' front and rear shock absorbers with King springs front and rear. 16mm rear roll bar and 27mm front bar. Standard suspension bushes - polyurethane rack mounting bushes.

Brakes are standard but thoroughly rebuilt.

16 x 8 Jaguar '20 spoke' wheels with 245/50 tyres (IROC Camaro size) - thinking of going back to the 'Starfish' wheels if only we can find tyres that are decent!

Best,

Starbuck

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:09 am

Thanks

The 16 and 27mm torsion bars are a few mm thicker than standard ?
I have checked that I have the rear bar, but it looked thinner than 16 mm

Could you provide a photo of the exhaust routing under the rear axle ? How bad is the ground clearance?

I did by the way get me a new XJ-S compatible jack yesterday, only 35 GBP in Halfords. 90mm minimum lifting height should be good 8-)
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
XJ40 3.2 LHD 1992 (VIN: ...660341). Owned since Nov 9th 2005
XJ-S V12 coupe 1977 (SW53309BW). Owned since April 28th 2016. http://www.xj-s.dk/home/
Citroën 2CV 1975. Owned since Sep 1st 1984
Board member of Jaguar Club of Denmark

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:24 am

Hi Leo,

I don't have a photo of the rear pipes handy so will have to go out and get under the car to take one (not now - it is dark and wet outside!). If you Google 'Jaguar XJS exhaust' and look at images, a couple of the first images found are with exhausts that run under the rear axle - it is quite commonly done. Ground clearance is not too bad and last time I was under the back of the car there were no signs either of us had managed to hit them on anything. Don't forget the E-Type, which also has the Jaguar IRS, has an exhaust system that runs under the differential exactly the same way. So come to think of it, if you Google E-Type exhausts you will see the same arrangement. 'Cate's Cat' also has pretty stiff springs and shocks so it is unlikely the pipes would be easily damaged.

16mm is the standard rear bar for the V12 sport pack, 26mm at the front - we went to 27mm at the front only because the 26mm Jaguar bar is unobtanium and 27mm was the closest we could get. As a result 'Cate's Cat' is probably a little more tail happy than some cars but isn't a handful in either the wet or the dry. The six cylinder XJS uses a 15mm rear bar and the standard (22mm) V12 front bar as its 'sports pack' roll bars. I'm pretty sure the sport pack suspension was a delete option only on the six - i.e. standard unless you specified otherwise.

I have a low-profile workshop jack that I couldn't live without. It is big and heavy and a pain in the rear at times because it needs as much room as a motorbike to park it, but it is stable and lifts cars to 600mm. No hoist in our workshop so the jack, chassis stands, and good old-fashioned garage creeper is it. We keep a box of hair ties in the workshop - let me tell you getting your hair under the wheels of a creeper isn't fun :shock:

Best,

Starbuck

Return to “Other Jaguars and Daimlers”