SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Oil on exhaust manifold?

baldilocks
Snr Member

Oil on exhaust manifold?

Postby baldilocks » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:14 am

Please see picture below, Jerry has a very wet looking rear exhaust manifold, there is also oil dripped on exhaust pipe below.
He has been sat unused for quite a while. Thoughts on what it could be?
Nothing coming from cam cover,checked there and its all clean above, definitely from bottom area of manifold
I am hoping just exhaust gasket. No oil for head gasket leak. Maybe cracked manifold?
Need to move car a bit so not taking manifold off until new gasket arrives, will be ordering this weekend so be a week yet.
Thanks in advance
93 4.0 Sovereign, James, 687486, 94MY
93 3.2 XJ6, Jerry, 94MY
93 3.2 XJ6, parts supply, 94MY

newyankee

Re: Oil on exhaust manifold?

Postby newyankee » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm

You will need to check carefully if the oil is indeed coming from the cylinder head gasket. Unfortunately, this would be the easier to fix cause.

The oil might also be seeping through the exhaust manifold gasket. Your photograph points in that direction because the oil is accumulating on the lower part of the manifold. This is the case, if unburnt oil is being sucked into the cylinder because the piston oil rings do not seal properly anymore. This results in unburnt oil being pushed out through the exhaust valve; thus the oil escaping at the The compression test will not reveal this. I had this problem on my 1994 4.0 at around 120,000 kms. Replaced valve steam seals first (head still on engine) and then had to move on to pulling the pistons. The oil rings had completely lost their tension and did not seal against the cylinder walls anymore. I then replaced all pistons rings together with the new oil rings (which were really tight in comparison). Problem gone....but a lot of work. I used the opportunity to replace all bearings as well.

Good luck
Guido
--
1994 XJ12
1995 XJ12 parted out
1993 XJ6 4.0 retired for parts
1964 MkII 4.0 project
1968 TR5
2013 T-Rex 4.2 TDI

SovverBovver
Snr Member

Re: Oil on exhaust manifold?

Postby SovverBovver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 pm

See if the oil is dribbling down from the cam cover seal onto the manifold. It's a long shot but a possible cause.
1992 Jaguar Sovereign

Return to “Engine”