David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

retro fit cruise control 93 3.2

naki_k
Super Moderator

retro fit cruise control 93 3.2

Postby naki_k » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:53 pm

1993 3.2s
had this cruise/ speed control kit for a while now, waiting in the wings to be fitted. way back when i didn't used to like cruise as i didn't like being detached from the driving experience, but now as am getting older it seems more appealing. also, having a sov now and having a good go on it, there seems to be a time and place to use it. so anyway, had a go at fitting the parts to my S. most of it is straight forward, as i stripped it off the scrapper i know where the bits go. not quite finished yet, but here's the progress so far.

before

its easier when you don't have an air box anyhow, ie with a cone filter. more space
cleaned up the space first, as it was all greasy. found i had to remove the OE alarm siren to get a spanner on the the lower fixing bolt for the dump valve.

bellows fitted. 2 bolts, and one nut. grease the runner a little?
vacuum pump fitted. one plug, three nuts

clip to connect the cruise vacuum hose to another adjacent one.

so that's the under bonnet parts done. internals/ electrics.

removed whole instrument pod, as i have some other stuff to do in there, and its much easier to fdir the cruise/ trip computer module with it out. 4 bolts and 4 plugs to disconnect.

plus you need to speed switch and little LED window, and small black button for upping the speed.
old trip computer module out. they are the similar, except for the two wires for the speed control switch, and the "on" red LED.

the window is actually glued in, which is odd. so applied so contact adhesive, and hopefully that will hold, if i don't put any pressure on it?

the red LED on light surround sort of helps keep it in position too?

torx screwed back together.

next the cruise ECU. under passenger knee bolster. here's the spare plug.

my aftermarket alarm relays are unfortunately taking up the space where the cruise ecu should be, so i have had to move them out of the way.
all done

so that's all that's done so far.
apparently all that's left to do is the "Brake pedal control switch", which is different for speed control or not.
its the gold coloured box, and has the brown wire wrap coming off it.

also need a shorting plug, for the yellow connector coming of the same brake wiring, a little further up out of the pic. think that's everything, unless i have missed something (please tell me?) hopefully finish it tomorrow and test?

now that i have nearly finished just thought to do a search and found this old thread of robs. this shorting plug does seem to be a bit of a mystery, if its for the the manual clutch?
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=456&p=3451&hilit=retro+fit+cruise#p3451

while i was in there i replaced all the bulbs in the dash pod, that were blown/ blackened. makes a big difference and brightens up the dash display. and fitted the wood surround for the dials instead of the plastic one. the only thing being i was disappointing to learn its actually plastic and not wood anyway! :roll: so replaced a plastic one with a different plastic one!
especially the two mileage display bulbs as they are always on.

check all trip bulbs on multimeter to make sure they work too.
Last edited by naki_k on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 3.2 XJ6 SportPack Manual
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Re: retro fit cruise control 93 3.2

Postby nlcrane » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:52 pm

As usual I am very impressed with the photo work and the work in general, I have one question though, what is that little red lamp on top of your steering column, I don't got one of them.
ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN
espana.xj40@googlemail.com

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 pm

nlcrane wrote:As usual I am very impressed with the photo work and the work in general, I have one question though, what is that little red lamp on top of your steering column, I don't got one of them.

self destruct button :lol:

stupid Clifford alarm that came fitted to the car when i got it. wish i had the standard OE jag one! so much simpler to add another key fob when needed.
am actually thinking of trying to get the original system working again, as its all still there. but its unclear why the system was abandoned for an aftermarket one by the PO. am sure its been bypassed though by the new alarm.
am a little wary of opening a new can of worms too, by fiddling with the wires, but i only have one alarm fob on this car, and its failed a few times, and i have had to keep resoldering it. seems to be holding out now, but i have lost my confidence with the clifford system, but don't particularly want to shell out £250+ for a brand new system.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
Breaking 40/ 300

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Postby nlcrane » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 pm

I will also have the check out the lamps on my cruise control system, see if they work, I have never used it at night, so I don't know.
ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN
espana.xj40@googlemail.com

david
Distinguished Mbr

Postby david » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:31 pm

You always take good photos! I'm surprised the instrument "veneer" is plastic, I would not have guessed that so it must be convincing. They do seem to have different grain patterns on them - I wonder if they are all different, or if there are a few "designs" of wood? :D

David
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

old del boy
Distinguished Mbr

Postby old del boy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:46 pm

naki_k wrote:
nlcrane wrote:As usual I am very impressed with the photo work and the work in general, I have one question though, what is that little red lamp on top of your steering column, I don't got one of them.

self destruct button :lol:

stupid Clifford alarm that came fitted to the car when i got it. wish i had the standard OE jag one! so much simpler to add another key fob when needed.
am actually thinking of trying to get the original system working again, as its all still there. but its unclear why the system was abandoned for an aftermarket one by the PO. am sure its been bypassed though by the new alarm.
am a little wary of opening a new can of worms too, by fiddling with the wires, but i only have one alarm fob on this car, and its failed a few times, and i have had to keep resoldering it. seems to be holding out now, but i have lost my confidence with the clifford system, but don't particularly want to shell out £250+ for a brand new system.

Nice piece of work there Naki , just think how much all these extras would have cost when added new , that's the great thing about these cars , the fact you can upgrade almost any part of the car to your own spec , nice picture work too ;)

Just a thought but that alarm may have been fitted as an insurance requirement for whoever had it at the time , or maybe they though it was a better system ?

Didn't Ant retro fit cruise to one of his cars when jdht was selling the kits cheap ? or was that Rob :?

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:00 am

yes, i found a couple of other links now on retro fit cruise. think its rob that cleaned out JDHT's on offer kits for cheap money. am ant may well have fitted a few of these by now too.
mind you i didn't pay much overall for this salvaged kit of a scrapper, so i cant complain. am sure the new it would have been over £500-£800 option?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2610&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fitting+cruise+control&start=10
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=456&p=3451&hilit=retro+fit+cruise#p3451

always try and bag as many pix as possible, when my girlfriend is nicking my camera that is. i know i go a bit overboard with pictures sometimes, but you can always skip through them if you get bored?
think they might help someone else who wants to fit the same but is unfamiliar with where everything is?

david wrote:I'm surprised the instrument "veneer" is plastic, I would not have guessed that so it must be convincing. They do seem to have different grain patterns on them - I wonder if they are all different, or if there are a few "designs" of wood

no, i had no idea either. i should have taken a pic of the rear to prove it, but it sure is plastic. ever wondered why they don't fade like the rest of the veneers?

old del boy wrote:Just a thought but that alarm may have been fitted as an insurance requirement for whoever had it at the time , or maybe they though it was a better system ?

good point. it may well have been one of those silly insurance requirements to have a Thatcham Cat 1 system. things is its locked now, ad i dont have the PIN code, so cant program another key fob, and the current one is a bit iffy now. have resoldered it 5 times now. see if it holds out, but if it fails its bound to be somewhere very inconvenient!
so the OE system is there, but concerned if i interfere with it all hell may break loose in the electrics. maybe a job for after i move from London

how far off a full "Daimler Sport" am i now do you think? :lol: i wonder whether such a car ever existed from new? obviously some XJ12s had sportpack aswell as various 6cyl cars, but has anyone ever seen a Daimler with sportpack? i know i am doing it the other way around though. ie "sport with Daimler Pack" :lol: guess i need to stick this 4.0 lump in sometime too? am waiting until i can get a manual box to go with it though.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
Breaking 40/ 300

xjr-ant
Distinguished Mbr

Postby xjr-ant » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:48 am

I fitted cruise to my 40 & 300 R but rob was showing how it was done on a manual car i believe. Weird that both my XJR have been poverty spec yet my other two are near full speccers. Yet costed less or the same from new!

Fitting the clutch switch isn’t a pleasant job - only bothered to attempt once so waited till i swapped a power steering column into my 300 saved ALOT of hassle as rob will know!!!!
Various XJ40's and one X300.

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru

Postby xj12-rob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:22 am

yep it was me who cleared classic parts out of c/c kits but these were for 300's , but the will fit late 40 as well, all you need is the dash switch pack, I have a few of these as well for both 300 and 40, I have a few complete kits left

You will need a correct brake light switch, so that when you touch the brake pedal c/c disengages, the "clutch shorting " link lead, its a tiny affair, caught me out to, I fitted it to my manual R 300 , because it had a clutch!, but the next one I did was on an auto, so I left it off, bloody thing would not work, so we chased down the blank plug in the loom in the drivers footwell on a 300, popped the plug in and bingo away we go

The clutch switch on a manual car is a complete sod to do, i spent two days trying to get mine fitted, I got there in the end, but adjustment is a bit off, if you hit a bump the clutch pedal moves slightly and switchs the cruise off!!, these had to be fitted to the pedal box BEFORE it went into the car

The factory kits came with parts to fit all cars , all specs, all 6 cylinder models, 12's were different slightly and had it fitted as standard, an auto non s/c car can be done in less that two hours, if you know where everything is located, a s/c auto, allow 4 hours as some of the s/c intake had to come away, a manual non s/c allow a good day to fit everthing correctly, and if you are lucky enough to have one , a manual s/c car, allow for ever!!

of course this applis to late 40 and 300, I retro fitted cruise to my 3.2 1991, thought I had it all done, but it transpires I missed a small link lead, so I am on the look out for one of them when one turns up, I guess it is similar to the clutch shotring plug, fits under the pasenger bolster I believe
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:29 am

fitted the brake switch tonight. fairly easy to do. unplug white plug, then undo one small nut and bolt, 8mm on side, and 7mm (actually what ever imperial is nearest 7mm, as 7mm felt a little oversized). the switch then slips off the positioning nut at its top end.
non cruise one has 2 wires, one micro switch and a brown wire cover. cruise one has 4 wires, and two micro-switches side by side, and a black wire cover.

just the shorting plug left now, and a test drive :)
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 4.0 X306 XJR