Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

ABS Conversion?

Roger90

ABS Conversion?

Postby Roger90 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:32 am

I have the complete ABS system from the '96 X300 I scrapped out a few years ago. I'm not an enthusiast of ABS brakes. In the 30 years or so they've been in cars I've never used them - not once. I guess I know how to drive...?
I'm considering removing the ABS from my '90 Majestic entirely and just having the "old" vacuum assisted brakes. As these cars get older spare accumulators, pumps and pressure switches will become more problematic and pricey. My car is 28 years old with a build date of '89 and I can see a major PIA may not be that far in the future.
Edit/Delete Message

M-e-l-l-o-w
Distinguished Mbr

Re: ABS Conversion?

Postby M-e-l-l-o-w » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:47 am

Before you go ahead and remove the ABS system perhaps you should check to see if your insurance company will still cover you and if so how much extra they will charge for this modification.
Some modifications have no additional cost like non OEM alloy wheels and in some cases even performance exhaust systems. But you still have to tell your insurance company or your insurance could be invalid in the event of a claim. (Any excuse not to pay out!)

Mellow
2004 (Facelift 05-MY) 4.2 Jaguar S-Type R in Black.

Morocco Red / Magnolia 4.0 Sovereign Auto Vin.708xxx.Insurance write off on Friday 13th March 2015.

Roger90

Re: ABS Conversion?

Postby Roger90 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 pm

A serious consideration to be sure?

Return to “Engine”