Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Ratty has a problem

Snr Member

Re: Ratty has a problem

Postby 752120 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:31 am

Aaaah still no fire and ratty's ignition amp is happily running the Nail no problem. The Nails is now on ratty ( ie swapped) now I have FF24 but I know it works. Having difficulties finding earth's on this car for some reason. Suspect poor workmanship on my part. We shall persevere

Snr Member

Postby 752120 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Curiouser and curiouser just swapped the amplifiers back over. Ratty still doesn't start but shows FF14 again. There is definite fuel as it has flooded again and definate spark as I pulled a plug again and it ignited the cylinder contents again. I connected a live from the battery and found earth's were OK using multimeter on voltage. Temp sensor was showing a small voltage Dc on one pin but over 10v Ac. Don't ask me why I tried that. Couldn't get a reading through the earth on resistance ignition on or off. Flummoxed and ready to torch the sodding thing.

NMV 1E
Snr Member

Postby NMV 1E » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:36 pm

Very odd, with spark and fuel we have at least 2 out of 4 (suck, squeeze, bang, blow ....) Ratty ought to run ? A coolant sensor can't usually "make" a voltage ... Its a variable resistance, made variable by temperature ............. Think of it like a volume knob on the radio .... ;) although you would use your finger ??
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2006 Baby Blue Hyundai Getz 1.4 CDX, Auto (yes I know, I know, but you'd be surprised, I was !)
1989 White and Navy Blue V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)
1992 Tornado Red V.W. Golf "tintop" 5 door (G.T.i.) For Sale !

Snr Member

Postby 752120 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Had this once before when an ecu died. Hmmmm I had better dig out a spare or at least one that works.

david
Distinguished Mbr

Postby david » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Here are diagrams/photos of all the earth points. I wonder if the bulkhead earth point repair isn't entirely successful - or whether there is a problem elsewhere. Just thinking aloud really.

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/xj40-gr ... tos/286238
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:10 pm

are we sure you have good consistent fuel flow and pressure, poor flow will still show good pressure when pumped up, if you see what i mean

its just possible the injectors are opening, and because there is now flow/pressure the fuel is dripping into the intake plenum causing the flooding

just a thought given you have proven all other suspects ?

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

Snr Member

Postby 752120 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Apologies for not keeping you all up to date, when I tested the pump I loosened the fuel rail and it squirted fuel about three feet in the air so think it is ok. Of course it might be faulty or dirty injectors. The earth's are awkward to test but I tried my best and all I tested were ok and specifically the new one I spliced in works fine. Thank you both for your advice and suggestions. Weather is looking ominous and I pick up my son in an hour so no car play today. But tomorrow I will be back out there with renewed vigour fitting another ecu to it. Can anyone shed light on the ignition amplifier faults being different on Ratty when they both worked fine on the red car.???

Snr Member

Postby 752120 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Well I went out this morning and changed the ecu. as luck would have it my spare was the same part number as the one I took off the car. I did try turning her over but I hadnt cleared the bores from last nights efforts. So for four hours I charged the battery and left the plugs out. when I went out again the plugs went back in, I connected the other car via jump leads, made sure the leads cap and rotor arm were all correct, turned the key and......She started first turn of the engine, wthout drama as if nothing had happened. We shall see if she starts again tomorrow.
Thank you all for your help and advice, I really appreciate it. I just hope she remains fixed now. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Snr Member

Postby 752120 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:00 am

Well she has done her dying trick again.
She started to misfire on the way back from a customers house last Wednesday night. As it was a really hot day and I had covered a hundred miles or so I suspected a vapour lock in the fuel line. It cleared quickly on the motorway and there were no FF's. Next day she started as usual, and I entered slow moving traffic going to work. The engine started to misfire again and slowly started to loose revs and died on me in the outside lane of a dual carriageway. I pushed the car to the curb with a lot of friendly horn sounding, and checked the VCM , FF47. Had a quick look on the internet and it pointed towards the idle valve connection I thought. So I cleaned the connector and the car started after some cranking. I obviously went back towards home and after dying again I made it home and swapped cars. Tried again to start her yesterday but once again no fire. I have tried to search the forum this morning but it doesnt come up with any results, has anyone got any viewtopic links I can peruse?? I am getting quite depressed with this car.
Cheers

david
Distinguished Mbr

Postby david » Sun May 27, 2018 12:04 pm

752120 wrote:Well she has done her dying trick again.
She started to misfire on the way back from a customers house last Wednesday night. As it was a really hot day and I had covered a hundred miles or so I suspected a vapour lock in the fuel line. It cleared quickly on the motorway and there were no FF's. Next day she started as usual, and I entered slow moving traffic going to work. The engine started to misfire again and slowly started to loose revs and died on me in the outside lane of a dual carriageway. I pushed the car to the curb with a lot of friendly horn sounding, and checked the VCM , FF47. Had a quick look on the internet and it pointed towards the idle valve connection I thought. So I cleaned the connector and the car started after some cranking. I obviously went back towards home and after dying again I made it home and swapped cars. Tried again to start her yesterday but once again no fire. I have tried to search the forum this morning but it doesnt come up with any results, has anyone got any viewtopic links I can peruse?? I am getting quite depressed with this car.
Cheers

Check the earth is still good where it snapped off the bulkhead and was repositioned. Corrosion on the engine management module earths on the bulkhead and the inlet manifold can cause problems like this - and a FF47.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj40 ... -a-159357/ Post #4
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

Return to “Engine”