David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Sudden Death Game

NMV 1E
Snr Member

Re: Sudden Death Game

Postby NMV 1E » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:34 pm

xjr40 wrote:
NMV 1E wrote:I've recently experienced C.S.P. issues with "another" car ..... L O N G story short, it seems in my case at least, it wasn't so much the sensor, as its wiring ... Going hard / Insulation brittle and failing when hot ... I have a spare Jaguar type sensor here BTW ... I also have TWO (one to go on the car) spare V.W. ones now too :!: ;)

Are the VW sensors the same part and interchangeable for the 40?

No, sadly not, nothing like. Though I've made a "Rover Metro" one, fit a 40 once. Its possible any crankshaft sensor with the correct "rating" could be made to work, swapping connecting plugs re-configuring a mounting and so on :?:
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2006 Baby Blue Hyundai Getz 1.4 CDX, Auto (yes I know, I know, but you'd be surprised, I was !)
1989 White and Navy Blue V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)
1992 Tornado Red V.W. Golf "tintop" 5 door (G.T.i.) For Sale !

xjr40

Postby xjr40 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Wouldn't it of been so nice? :lol: :lol:
1991 Jaguarsport XJR 4.0
One of 83 manual - 65 LHD
Regency - Magnolia

Clive Aintree

Postby Clive Aintree » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi,
I had exactly the same cutting out at low speeds a couple of years ago, like pulling away from junctions or pottering around car parks etc. I looked at fuel, ignition etc. Eventually I found the culprit - the oxygen sensor, also known as the "lambda sensor." It was confirmed by my autosparks. He tested it - very simply as it only has three wires and they can be located up on the side of the wing inside the bonnet. You only need a voltmeter. With the car running, the volts should "scan" continuously from 0 - 4v. Anything else, and it's dead. The car will still run with a dead one but goes into "limp home" mode.
The sensor is screwed into the exhaust by the cat. It usually means getting that bit of the exhaust system off the car and heating it with an oxyacetaline burning torch to get it out if its an old one.
What me and my buddy did was to take it off and fit a non-cat exhaust temporarily to drive to Southport Jaguars who go the old sensor off using the method above and fitted the new one. The car ran all the way from Liverpool to Southport with no sensor at all fitted in "limp home" but got us there!
New sensors cost about £60. Virtually all cars made in the 1990's use the same Bosch type and don't even think of fitting a non-original one. Many Ebay sellers sell the Bosch units - just find your car in their "applications" list.
And the really good news - the new sensor totally transformed the performance, like a new engine! The performance must have been dropping off over the years (car bought in 2008) and you just don't notice.
We did think of having the sensors routinely tested at club meets - only takes minutes and crucial that you have a good one.
So definitely get it checked.
Good luck,
Clive
Clive

XJ6 3.2 1992
Range Rover 3.9 Vogue SE 1994
Austin A30 1955
Honda CB400A 1980