After reading about the damage that can be done with a dodgy starter motor I decided to replace mine. I went for brand new as I didn't want to have to do this job twice. Glad I won't have to as it was a pig of a job.
Took me around 5 hours. I read quite a few posts on the subject with different people sharing their own ways on how to tackle it.
I went in from the top and removed various cable ties to move stuff out of the way. The wiper motor came out fairly easy - I used a piece of metal cable to thread through the hole in the clip and pull towards me until it shifted.
I then had access to the top bolt!
Then came a few minutes of head scratching and trying to work out how to crack that bolt....I came up with this tool which worked a treat!
It's basically a 13mm spanner connected to a 16mm spanner using the old way of interlinking then I cut the end off the 16mm so it would fit into my extendable wheel brace.
Once I cracked the bolt and unscrew it I moved underneath, undid the lower bolt then removed the starter motor and unscrew the cables attached.
It took a while, was messy and involved destroying some tools but it was worth it and now I have a car that starts instantly for £74!
This is a side by side comparison - not sure if it is worn or not but it sounded horrible when trying to start and sounded like the bendix was staying connected and making a grinding noise after starting. Now it starts first turn of the key and doesnt sound like an old banger.
So all in all a mission of a job but made such a difference. There is no issue going in from the top but it does take a bit of time slowly unscrewing it with what space is available.