• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Polybush kit (and suspension refurb)

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Re: Polybush kit (and suspension refurb)

Postby leo_denmark » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:50 am

Revival of an old thread

I would like to hear about your experiences with Polybush.

They claim comfort is maintained (with the black Comfort version) and that they will not squeal. I don't mind getting a bit firmer suspension, but I don't want to ruin it, and I certainly don't want funny noises...

BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
XJ40 3.2 LHD 1992 (VIN: ...660341). Owned since Nov 9th 2005
XJ-S V12 coupe 1977 (SW53309BW). Owned since April 28th 2016. http://www.xj-s.dk/home/
Citroën 2CV 1975. Owned since Sep 1st 1984
Board member of Jaguar Club of Denmark

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 pm

I don't like the look of that stub axle, especially where the bearings sit...

with regard to polly , well that's a whole debate, but remember, your original suspension would have got softer with age , so fitting new OEM bushes will harden and improve the ride anyway , for me, polly hasn't proven its self over 20 years yet , like your original ones have

and its all about the ride in these majestic cars

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Sand interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks BB

Naki has send me an e-mail with the same guidance: Go OEM, so that is what I do.

Regarding the stub axle: I'm aware the bearing faces are worn. The whole car is worn as it is approaching the 290.000 km, and I must admit I have been postponing the job. What is the acceptable minimum diameters of the bearing faces ?
I have so far not had an advisory at MOT, but I'm sure the inspector has been able to feel the (small) movement of the wheel when testing it for the last 4-5 years...

BR Leo

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 am

cool

with regard to stub axle ' wear ' , any lip that can be felt running your finger nail over the area from the bearing seat to the rest of the stub is not acceptable, and will require replacement , you can feel 1thou with your nail , wear can be felt at the 6 o'clock position , as the wear happens at the bottom of the stub , the top ( 12 o'clock position ) can look and feel perfect, ,

stub axles are about £50 each , and press out using a 12 tonne press , and some degree if skill and safety requirements, stub axles tend to last around 100k miles ( 160k km ) so you may be well into the second set already ?

BB

ps, with new bearings, bushes and stub axles, it will transform the feel and quality of the ride back to factory new

previously ,

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 am

Brake buster wrote:cool

with regard to stub axle ' wear ' , any lip that can be felt running your finger nail over the area from the bearing seat to the rest of the stub is not acceptable, and will require replacement , you can feel 1thou with your nail , wear can be felt at the 6 o'clock position , as the wear happens at the bottom of the stub , the top ( 12 o'clock position ) can look and feel perfect, ,

stub axles are about £50 each , and press out using a 12 tonne press , and some degree if skill and safety requirements, stub axles tend to last around 100k miles ( 160k km ) so you may be well into the second set already ?

BB

ps, with new bearings, bushes and stub axles, it will transform the feel and quality of the ride back to factory new

Well, I have done 160.000 km without changing stubaxles, so there is a fair chance they are original !
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
XJ40 3.2 LHD 1992 (VIN: ...660341). Owned since Nov 9th 2005
XJ-S V12 coupe 1977 (SW53309BW). Owned since April 28th 2016. http://www.xj-s.dk/home/
Citroën 2CV 1975. Owned since Sep 1st 1984
Board member of Jaguar Club of Denmark

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm

oh , I thought you said above it was on 290k km , so possibly changed before your ownership ?

one possibly way of telling is original factory stub axles had a number stamp on the flat end, replacements tend not to ......

BB

previously ,

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Brake buster wrote:oh , I thought you said above it was on 290k km , so possibly changed before your ownership ?

one possibly way of telling is original factory stub axles had a number stamp on the flat end, replacements tend not to ......

BB

No numbers as I remember it, so they could be changed before I bought it @131.000 km

BR Leo

Starbuck
Snr Member

Postby Starbuck » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi Leo,

We run Polybush comfort on our Tungsten XJS and have had them on the car for a few years now. As I have written on here regarding the XJ40/81 bushes, the Polybush comfort have the same load deflection rating as the new rubber bushes do and we have found them to be no different in terms of ride. After a few years on a manual V12 that gets driven pretty hard (a 'sprint monster' as it was called by Pim), the front alignment has remained completely static down to the minute, a good sign they hold up well carrying that big V12 lump around. There are no squeaks or other untoward noises. We fitted them to our XJ81 on that basis.

On our XJS we found the OEM lower wishbone bushes lived a very short and unhappy life even before we decided to uprate the suspension. The lower wishbone bushes on the V12 have a hard life and it is a bit of work to change them, so it may be worth your while putting Polybush in the lower wishbones and using standard rubber in the uppers as these are easier to change.

Best,

Starbuck
'94 XJ12 (and other toys)

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks Starbuck

As I understand it you are happy about the polybush comfort version (which I was also aiming to use) in both the XJ-S and XJ81 ?

Polybush claim to have same stiffness in the Comfort version as new OEM bushes, so it should be good as long time as they don't make noises...

Front lower bushing was in very bad shape on my car, but it was probably original. I have not changed it for the last 160.000 km.

BR Leo
Last edited by leo_denmark on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 am

Double post...

Return to “Suspension”