David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Front crossbeam exchange

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Front crossbeam exchange

Postby leo_denmark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi all

As some may have noticed from post in other topics and on FB, I'm changing my front crossbeam on my 1992 3.2.

I promise I will describe the project later in this topic, but here and now I need your help !

The fulcrum tie bar sitting between the lower fulcrum bolts in the front is touching my engine sump. Only just, but it will for sure touch when I start the engine and drives. It was probably close before, but not this close...

Informations:
The replacement front member has a 1993 stamped in it. Post facelift. My car is pre facelift.
Everything is reused except from bushes, stub axles, front member, engine mounting brackets (on crossbeam) and engine mount rubbers.

The crossbeam changes at VIN 629362. The other changed parts is the same for all

What went wrong ?

If nothing obvious:
Should I just bend the tie rod a bit ?
Or add another green spacer at the engine mounts ?? By the way not a fun job if it can't be inserted just by loosening the V-mount bolts...

BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
XJ40 3.2 LHD 1992 (VIN: ...660341). Owned since Nov 9th 2005
XJ-S V12 coupe 1977 (SW53309BW). Owned since April 28th 2016. http://www.xj-s.dk/home/
Citroën 2CV 1975. Owned since Sep 1st 1984
Board member of Jaguar Club of Denmark

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Re: Front crossbeam exchange

Postby leo_denmark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 pm

I think I have solved it: the car is supported by a wooden beam across behind the front jacking points, and I’m sure it lifts the gearbox and thereby causes the engine front to dip down.

BR Leo

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 am

I finished the front end yesterday and got the car back on it wheels.

Clearance to the tie bar is now 1-2 mm, still very close. I can also see, that the gap between fan shroud and fan is larger at the top tajn at the bottom.

I have had a mysterious scraping sound, that seemed to come from around the passenger side (RH) front wheeI, especially when turning left. This has puzzled me for a long time. I took the car for a drive, and now I know what causes it: Engine fan touching the shroud !

It makes sense, that it has become a bit worse as the new V-mounts will lift the body and thereby fan shroud in comparison with front crossbeam and engine.

What now puzzles me is what causes the engine to drop ? I will say that the change of crossbeam, engine brackets and engine mounts has been neutral. The dropping started before I change these parts. Maybe actually when I fixed the gearbox mount, which will raise the rear and thereby lower the front of the engine.

The solution here and now will be additional spacers, but it would be nice to know if something is on it's way to break

Are the steel engine mount brackets on the engine known to fail ? Crack or get loose ? They do not seem to be that easy to inspect or change now the crossmember is mounted again, and I don't feel like dropping it again...
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark
XJ-S V12 coupe 1977 (SW53309BW). Owned since April 28th 2016. http://www.xj-s.dk/home/

old del boy
Distinguished Mbr

Postby old del boy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:16 am

I'm wondering if the rear crossbeam mounting bushes are fitted correctly , as you know the hole is not in the middle and if not positioned properly could possibly alter the height , i doubt it would be much but it is orientated in a specific position for a reason and maybe this is why ,

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

abercanadian
Snr Member

Postby abercanadian » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 am

Also wasn't there something about that rear mount bushing/spring assembly order/position shown in Haynes to be wrong?

Just a thought :?

Larry
94 XJ40 VDP vin 701729
Oyster Metallic/Doeskin on Aero Alloys
220,000 Kilometers/136,700 Miles
Daily Driver

94 XJ40 SOVEREIGN vin 703632
Diamond Blue Metallic/Barley
111,000 Kilometers/69,000 Miles
Parts Car

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:51 am

Well, I must admit that I didn’t change the rear bushes as they looked fine, so there is a good chance they are original on both my old subframe and the replacement. Position should be good then... ;)

I added 2 4mm spacers yesterday and got the engine up in place. No test drive yet, but it looks promising. I now have appr. 1/2” gap between sump and tie bar.

BR Leo

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm

A short test drive was all I needed to conclude that the scraping was NOT gone.
I allowed the car to get a bit up in speed and could hear the sound was following speed rather than RPM.
It turned out to be a heat shield touching the driveshaft very lightly just ahead of the cats. I used some persuading tools to get the shield to move a bit, and I now only have scraping at brisk cornering and (deep sigh) hard braking. Needs to be fixed before MOT, but at least the car can now be driven again 8-) 8-) 8-)

Front end feels good. I have a Jag meet tonight, will do 100 miles and enjoy the ride !

katar83
Distinguished Mbr

Postby katar83 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 pm

old del boy wrote:I'm wondering if the rear crossbeam mounting bushes are fitted correctly , as you know the hole is not in the middle and if not positioned properly could possibly alter the height , i doubt it would be much but it is orientated in a specific position for a reason and maybe this is why ,

Derek..

I thought about this too, I've seen these bushes with the centre hole right in the middle and then late cars will have the hole positioned to one side. I think they might be year specific for subframe/car :roll:
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm

katar83 wrote:
old del boy wrote:I'm wondering if the rear crossbeam mounting bushes are fitted correctly , as you know the hole is not in the middle and if not positioned properly could possibly alter the height , i doubt it would be much but it is orientated in a specific position for a reason and maybe this is why ,

Derek..

I thought about this too, I've seen these bushes with the centre hole right in the middle and then late cars will have the hole positioned to one side. I think they might be year specific for subframe/car :roll:

Bushing is the same before and after facelift (667829): CCC6832. I believe they are offset in both my discarded and new crossbeam.

BR Leo

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 pm

leo_denmark wrote:
katar83 wrote:

Derek..

Bushing is the same before and after facelift (667829): CCC6832. I believe they are offset in both my discarded and new crossbeam.

BR Leo

Both seems to me to be offset in lenght direction, but not vertically. I do not have a better shot of the replacement...

Original:

Replacement:
BR Leo Jensen - Denmark

Return to “Suspension”