Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

REMOVAL OF AN AIRBAG FITTED STEERING WHEEL

KURGAN XJ40

REMOVAL OF AN AIRBAG FITTED STEERING WHEEL

Postby KURGAN XJ40 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Can anyone provide advice or instructions?

cheers
craig

old del boy

Re: REMOVAL OF AN AIRBAG FITTED STEERING WHEEL

Postby old del boy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Craig, this is how i removed my steering wheel on my '93 car , there are four bolts holding the airbag on three of which can easily be removed by turning the wheel around to get access , the fourth is behind a hinged cover , pop this open with a small screwdriver and you will see the bolt head, it has a sliding shield covering it . To slide the shield across you must use a specialy shaped tool to disarm the firing mechanism , I made my own from a 5mm socket driver , it has to be ground down as thin as possible as it goes into a hole where the disarming pin is . The disarming pin is a screw about an inch long with a half circle on the top , if you cut off the head of a brass woodscrew , grind the shaft of the screw till you have a half circle shape then cut a piece off and glue it into the 5mm socket you will have the tool required. Carefully unscrew the disarming pin [ anti clockwise ] until you have about three quarters of an inch out , you will find that about now you will be able to slide the cover across and get access to the last bolt . I am assured that once the disarming pin is unscrewed enough to slide the cover accross that the bag cannot fire ,but i wouldn't go chucking it about. I successfully fitted my new wooden wheel and replaced the airbag , re-arming is just screwing the pin back to it's original position . I found that counting the number of turns of the disarming pin needed to release the cover helps to know how far to screw it back in , good luck Derek..

Last edited by old del boy on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

KURGAN XJ40

Postby KURGAN XJ40 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:14 pm

thanks for that. I thought if it had no charge or electrical supply then the bag could not go off.

I need the smaller wheel for my 92 '40 as my legs gets stuck - is it possible to fit to a non air bag vehicle if bag is disarmed?

Craig

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:09 pm

i couldn't say , i guess it might if the number of splines is the same .

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru

Postby xj12-rob » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:47 am

Derek, well done on the drivers airbag removal, passenger side is easy, I'm going to try your method as before I've never had the right tool for the pin, I tried borrowing one from jaguar without sucess. One thing I would add as a safety precaution is to disconnect the battery, on 300 and 308 once this is done and the car left for an hour to erase the memory the airbag is easily removed, but my guess with 40's it is still armed, bear in mind these things are essentially small bombs!!

I've been asked twice in recent weeks if a non air bag wheel will fit an air bag column, answer, no idea I'm afraid, but thoughts are these, if the number of splines and their depth on the column is the same, along with the column being the same diameter then the answer is physically 'yes', but the columns are of course different part nos, I guess the only way is to try one and see how close they are, non air bag wheels are plentiful, well they are in my garage, loads here if you want one to try
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru

Postby xj12-rob » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:10 am

Just checked column part nos, non air bag cars appear to have just two, and one supercedes the other , fairly common practice, on the other hand the airbag columns have FIVE numbers, depending on market, full or supplementary airbag fitment, so i'm really no further forward on this

One point to note though is that Jaguar show a different style wheel for the XJR (which we know), but this also appears in the 93/94 section of the parts list WITHOUT an airbag, a mistake on their part, or the confirmation we are looking for??? thoughts any one, I thought late XJR had airbags in line with the rest of the range as shown in one of my pictures eleswhere on the forum
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:33 am

Rob, there's another thing that confuses me , what do they mean when they say 'full airbag' and ' supplimentry ' surely you either have airbags or not ? I too have noticed the different part no's for upper steering colums ie, full and supplimentry as i thought no2 daimler might have needed one for the MOT [ there's a little play in the bearing ] but apparently not that much , however the supplimentry is out of stock , but the full airbag one isn't , I THINK I'M CONFUSED DOT COM :lol: :lol: Derek..

david

Postby david » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:15 pm

old del boy wrote:Rob, there's another thing that confuses me , what do they mean when they say 'full airbag' and ' supplimentry ' surely you either have airbags or not ? I too have noticed the different part no's for upper steering colums ie, full and supplimentry as i thought no2 daimler might have needed one for the MOT [ there's a little play in the bearing ] but apparently not that much , however the supplimentry is out of stock , but the full airbag one isn't , I THINK I'M CONFUSED DOT COM :lol: :lol: Derek..

Hi,

A "full airbag" is a larger and more intrusive design and can be used in place of a seatbelt. It was originally conceived to replace seatbelts in countries where seatbelt wearing was not compulsory and rarely done. I believe US spec cars have these large airbags, other markets may too.

A "supplimentary" airbag (Supplimentary Restraint System [SRS]) is used in Europe and other markets in addition to seatbelts and is smaller and less aggressive. It will not protect you if you are not wearing a seatbelt.

I wonder if the non-airbag steering column adjusts for reach as well as for tilt - not available on airbag XJ40s?

I note that a steering wheel pad for late post VIN 667829 part no. BEC11485LEG is for sale on EBAY at the moment. JDHT may have the wrong earlier wheel/centre pad pictured on their site.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-XJ6-XJ12-X ... 240%3A1318

Hope this helps.

David
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:23 pm

Well David that certainly explains why the srs ones are sold out , as for the reach adjustment facility [ i wish mine had it ] there's probably a good reason why we don't have it , whether the export models with full bags have it sounds like a question for our American cousins on jaglovers Derek...

david

Postby david » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:14 pm

old del boy wrote:Well David that certainly explains why the srs ones are sold out , as for the reach adjustment facility [ i wish mine had it ] there's probably a good reason why we don't have it , whether the export models with full bags have it sounds like a question for our American cousins on jaglovers Derek...

A question for Rob here really, but I wonder whether an X300 steering column could be fitted to a late XJ40 along with the X300 airbag/steering wheel/indicators etc. The X300 column is, as far as I know, adujustable for reach electrically. Sounds like a big job though...

David
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)