SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

CD-changer: different cables

norse_troll

CD-changer: different cables

Postby norse_troll » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 am

Hi.

By mistake, I bought a second hand original Jaguar cd-changer which turned out to be too new for my XJ40. I have a 94 3.2s, and the "new" cd-changer was made in 98.

The only visible difference is as follows: Output cable from my car is a FEMALE 8-din cable, and cable from "new" cd-changer is a FEMALE Ai-net.

So, after hours trawling the net, EBAY and the websites to the electronical shops I know of, I still haven't found an adapter/converter which is MALE 8-din and MALE Ai-net.

Please, tips anyone? (Yes, I can always sell this unit and buy a "new" unit suitable for my car. However, the condition of the "wrong" cd-changer is very good and I would like to find a converter/adapter).

Brgds Erik
XJ40 1994 - 3,2 S (Westminister Blue/Beige)

norse_troll

Re: CD-changer: different cables

Postby norse_troll » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 pm

For your guidance, if there are someone with same challenge:

Alright, according to "discount car stereo" (LINK: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ALP-Ai-F.html): "...Alpine M-BUS (older) is very slow compared to the new Ai-NET BUS and is one reason M-BUS Radios are not able to control Ai-NE CD Changers, however Alpine did make some CD Changer capable of working in Ai-NET and M-BUS Applications, namely Dual Bus Changers. These changers have an Ai-Net connector which the ALP/Ai-F converts to 8-pin DIN. Alpine CHA-S634, CHA-S614, CHA-S607, CHA-S604, VPA-S001 are DUAL BUS and the ALP/Ai-F allows them to connect to an M-BUS Radio (e.g. CDM-9801) or factory Alpine derived radios in older Honda, BMW, Volvo etc. (CD Changer adapter required)."

So, basically, if your cd-changer has Ai-net output and no DUEL BUS opportunity, you can't use the converter in the above link.
XJ40 1994 - 3,2 S (Westminister Blue/Beige)

Bruce69

Re: CD-changer: different cables

Postby Bruce69 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:53 pm

norse_troll's response quite comprehensively answers your problem.

When looking to get an Alpine unit fitted in my '91 I wondered if I needed a converter but they seemed to be applicable to the newer head units(/databus) used by the X300 (see below):

Bruce69 wrote: The whole adapter thing is bemusing. Although re-reading the Alpine document (ICD 2005) it says the JAGA1 is for the non-V8 94-97 (X300) - see attached pic.

However, I've also seen another Alpine CHM-S620 (on ebay) state that a 'blue' adapter lead should be used (looks about 6" long) for the X300 or a "handshake adapter" for the Facelift XJ40. I can only infer that Pre-92 an adapter is not needed. Correct?
XJ40 3.2 LPG 1991 47k
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HP LPG 2002
Merc CLK230 Kompressor LPG 2000
Dodge Charger R/T 1969

Return to “Interior”