SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Seat belts nos

Ramses100

Seat belts nos

Postby Ramses100 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:11 am

Hi guys,

I bought replacement seat belts for the jag. They are new old stock. However, when trying to roll down the seat belt while holding the roll in my hand, it doesn't seem to want to work on any of them.

Is this normal and will bolting them to the car fix this? Is there some sort of safety or transport catch which needs to be removed post installment so they run down okay?

Any thoughts, as I am reluctant to replace my albeit old but functional seat belts with new but non functional ones.

Regards,

Ramses

Brake buster
Snr Member

Re: Seat belts nos

Postby Brake buster » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

there is a ' gravity toggle ' inside the workings of the belt , this drops onto the belt and prevents it retracting , tilt the belt to approximately the same orientation it would sit in the car and this should allow the toggle to lift from the belt and operate

this is why seatbelts are handed for the rear seats and are sometimes mounted on the ' tilt ' for the front seats, it enhances this operation of this safety toggle device

bolting them into the right position will allow them to work better if they are the correct ones for the car

i have done this myself

if you have the ability , the mechanism can be took apart and the toggle moved to the other side ( it has a left-right and middle position internally )so any seatbelt you have can be used on either side of the car, but be warned, you are dismantling a safety device if you do this.....

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2015 XF Sportbrake Luxury 2.2D Turbo in British Racing Green Metallic