SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Been there done that

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Been there done that

Postby nlcrane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:16 pm

It’s that time of the year again, get the wet and dry and polish out and buff up the headlamps on the Au Pair. Last year’s MOT gave me an advisory, so I want to avoid that this year. I have been on t’internet again to see just how “easy” it is to bring them back to pristine condition. Well either I am doing something drastically wrong or I am just not as handy as I once was. I am, however, astounded that a marque like Volvo (used to be) could have used such a Mickey Mouse type of plastic instead of some good old glass (like we have on the 40’s).
Anyway I did my best and hopefully Mr. Tester will give me a pass on this score. By the way I have priced new headlight replacement units and they are in the region of 500 Euros each, and that doesn’t include the demolition of most of the front end to get them in, quite ridiculous. I love my Au Pair, but not that much.
It is nice to live in paradise, all year round sun and all that, but it does play havoc with any Au Pairs that need to be parked on the street because the only garage space available has been taken up by a cherished and classic old lady. What is the world coming to?

I have a DA orbital polisher on order along with some of those magic Maguiars compounds, so I could give them a quite buff before the MOT. With this new toy I will attack the bonnet and attempt to bring back a wee bit of the original shine, I just hope that all goes well.

ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN
espana.xj40@googlemail.com

moglite

Re: Been there done that

Postby moglite » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Did you wax them after the previous polish ?

That is supposed to make them last a bit longer I believe.

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Postby nlcrane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:55 pm

I decided to give them a final polish using this stuff from my old friend Meguiar, seems to work pretty good too. I will give them another once over when the DA orbital polisher, that I have ordered, has arrived.

ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN

abercanadian
Snr Member

Postby abercanadian » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 am

Not that it's much help (as you've already done the headlights, Norman!) but I will add anyway, ;) that I often restore wristwatches, in particular, heavily scratched crystals, glass or plastic. I've done a few turntable covers too - all with good - nay - dare I say great results.

I start with 320 grit then work my way up through the grits to 3000, I go 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 then finish off with Solvol Autosol.

SHINEY!!

Larry
94 XJ40 VDP vin 701729
Oyster Metallic/Doeskin on Aero Alloys
220,000 Kilometers/136,700 Miles
Daily Driver

94 XJ40 SOVEREIGN vin 703632
Diamond Blue Metallic/Barley
111,000 Kilometers/69,000 Miles
Parts Car

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Postby nlcrane » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:32 pm

abercanadian wrote:Not that it's much help (as you've already done the headlights, Norman!) but I will add anyway, ;) that I often restore wristwatches, in particular, heavily scratched crystals, glass or plastic. I've done a few turntable covers too - all with good - nay - dare I say great results.

I start with 320 grit then work my way up through the grits to 3000, I go 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 then finish off with Solvol Autosol.

SHINEY!!

Larry

Larry, don’t worry this will not be the last time that I will have to go through this operation. They will now at least squeeze through the MOT in their present state, but I will need a more permanent solution soon. I don’t know whether I am searching wrongly or what, but I have not been able to obtain higher grit paper here in Spain (the maximum I found was 1200) so I have ordered some from off the bay and am awaiting delivery. I am also very wary of applying any spray type clear coat, my skills are just not up to it, so I will stick to a buff up once in a while (or at least pre-MOT)
ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Postby nlcrane » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 am

Done deal, passed the Spanish ITV (MOT) “sense defectes”, without defects, so “bright eyed” and bushy tailed and good for another year.

ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN

abercanadian
Snr Member

Postby abercanadian » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Sometimes I wish there was vehicle testing in BC, that would get me motivated to do my servicing a bit more regularly (AS IF!!) :? :lol:

They abandoned testing here because the land the testing stations were built on was worth untold billions to greedy real estate speculators ... what a world!

Larry
94 XJ40 VDP vin 701729
Oyster Metallic/Doeskin on Aero Alloys
220,000 Kilometers/136,700 Miles
Daily Driver

94 XJ40 SOVEREIGN vin 703632
Diamond Blue Metallic/Barley
111,000 Kilometers/69,000 Miles
Parts Car

nlcrane
Spain Rep

Postby nlcrane » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:08 pm

abercanadian wrote:Sometimes I wish there was vehicle testing in BC, that would get me motivated to do my servicing a bit more regularly (AS IF!!) :? :lol:

They abandoned testing here because the land the testing stations were built on was worth untold billions to greedy real estate speculators ... what a world!

Larry

I said this before and here I go again, I have the utmost faith in the government run test centres here in Spain. Each centre does nothing else but test vehicles, cars, motorcycles and heavy goods stuff, they have a dedicated team of mechanics, a separate environmental station, you can book online, any failure that is fixed within a certain time frame is tested again free of charge. I have never had to wait more than half an hour from my appointment time and even though I usually choose to go early in the morning the mechanics have always been friendly, efficient and swift. At approx. 40 Euros a throw a test is not so expensive either.
ImageImageImage
1994 Sovereign Gold 4.0

Area rep. SPAIN

Return to “Exterior”