SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

XJ40 replacement bumper options

carlmt
Snr Member

Re: XJ40 replacement bumper options

Postby carlmt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm

A very tidy - and original - idea Clive. It seems to tick all the boxes for the ideas you had originally.

Were I to go along this road - and you say that the beams are fabricated on a bespoke basis - I would certainly have the side extensions, tapering much as the originals do.
Additionally, I dont think it would be beyond the realms of impossibility to have the original front and rear light units housed in 'in bumper' boxes as opposed to hanging beneath. Especially those front units - they look vulnerable to me. If mine, I would also extend the top surface to further close the gap between the bumper and the bodywork.

Just my views!! Otherwise, a great effort and solution to the problem - well done!

CT 8-)
1990 Daimler 4.0 638778
First registered 01.01.1991

carlmt
Snr Member

Postby carlmt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:39 pm

NMV 1E wrote:I'm very impressed with these, I really am. Well done to you sir. Though, the rear fog lamps also include the rear reflectors (?). We're almost neighbours by the way.

That is a very valid point!!! Technically, your car doesn't conform to The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 without the reflectors.
Whether this will ever be picked up by the MOT, I don't know, but I am sure that it IS an MOT-able item.

CT 8-)
1990 Daimler 4.0 638778
First registered 01.01.1991

SovverBovver
Snr Member

Postby SovverBovver » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Clive Aintree wrote:I have replaced the in-bumper rear fog lights with proprietary stainless-steel items and am currently working on something similar for the front side/indicators.

The advice above about reflectors is correct. I'm certain a car has to have reflectors fitted on the rear to be legal to use on UK roads. They should be checked as part of the Mot test. I'd also worry about whether an insurer would quibble about liability if these were not fitted to a car involved in a night time accident.

I like the idea of these all metal bumpers as an alternative to keeping the original ones on my Jag which people round here would just end up damaging. Those side pieces can be broken so easily they're almost unfit for purpose and when an XJ40 has tatty bumpers they really let the car down. People hitting other cars is such a big problem round here, I've stopped using my Jag for local trips. The bumpers on these cars are really easy to remove, so you could keep the originals and get a set of stainless ones changing them depending on what duties the car has ahead of it.

I don't know why manufacturers make bumpers that can be damaged after a small impact. When I go to the supermarket, I use my other car because it's got large steel bumpers and a hitch fitted at a much higher level than most cars so it doesn't get damaged. However, it still annoys me when I see a car parked 2 inches away from my bumper, or someone tells me they saw it get hit. Once I even had an old man tell me there was no contest between his car and mine. He then proceeded to demonstrate how flexible his painted bumper was by deforming it excessively with his hand. He then wanted to strike up a conversation with me about my car and his previous cars! A woman who hit my car (while someone was in it) obviously had no concerns whatsoever about bumping into another car, and obviously couldn't care less that she'd just damaged her reasonably new Audi.
1992 Jaguar Sovereign

Clive Aintree

Postby Clive Aintree » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Many thanks for all your interesting and supportive comments. The matter of the reflectors will be urgently looked into - I certainly don't want the car rammed in the rear at night! I assumed that the main rear lamp clusters had built-in reflectors and that the bumper ones were just additional but apparently not?

The front lamp units shown are temporary ones just to pass the MOT, actually farm tractor units! The firm who did the bumpers have mentioned making stainless housings for these to go into. I'm also looking at options such as a "square" (rectangular actually) stainless spot lamp units each with two bulbs - one white, one amber. Some owners might even opt to have lights units built into the new bumpers, just a matter of making cut-outs. But I didn't want to make holes in my nice new bumpers!

This is still very much a work in progress. Though at present each additional one will be "tailor made", generic versions might follow if there is sufficient demand. Another serious suggestion is that the stainless bumpers could be fitted to save deterioration of the the original steel-cored rubber ones which could be preserved for shows or maybe only fitted during the summer months. (The stainless ones can be removed in 5 minutes or less - just the two M12 bolts reached via access cut-outs in the underside of the bumper.)

So thanks again for all your contributions.

Clive
Clive

XJ6 3.2 1992
Range Rover 3.9 Vogue SE 1994
Austin A30 1955
Honda CB400A 1980

abercanadian

Postby abercanadian » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Clive -
If you cut lamp apertures into the bumper they won't have to be too special ...the lamp housings themselves have spring clips at either end and are simple push-fits into the bumper - of course the apertures are recessed with the standard setup, the recess being "provided" by the additional thickness of the rubber.

Cheers

Larry
94 XJ40 VDP vin 701729
Oyster Metallic/Doeskin on Aero Alloys
240,000 km/149,000 Miles
Daily Driver

94 XJ40 SOVEREIGN vin 703632
Diamond Blue Metallic/Barley
111,000 km/69,000 Miles
Parts Car

Return to “Exterior”