SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

installed a new front fog light to my '94

Brake buster
Snr Member

installed a new front fog light to my '94

Postby Brake buster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 pm

i am a bit fussy about my lighting, it all has to work and look good all the time,

i had already fitted a new front fog to the near side soon after buying her, but when i turned on the lights the new one was ' whiter ' then the other one, but hey ho ,

so , when the off side one stopped working a month ago , i decided to buy another new unit from Jaguar, these come in at £89 each , and are still available ,

fitting is a bit fiddly , on the 1994 XJ40 ,

firstly the front bumper mounting bolts need removing, then the bumper pulling forward a few inches, this allows a long thin flat blade screwdriver to access the top two quarter turn fixings, then from under the shaped stash guard on the end needs removing to access the single lower fixing and plug ,

this can be done without jacking up the car , when removed i found the usual problem of a broken lamp holder to the back of the fog light, so needed a new one anyway

all fitted back together and looking good

does anyone know if LED lamps can be fitted and dont interfere with the lamp failure module, which monitors the front fogs

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Sand interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

baldilocks
Snr Member

Re: installed a new front fog light to my '94

Postby baldilocks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:05 am

LEDs can be fitted, done it myself. Bulb warning is ok when they not in use as just shows a complete circuit, but comes on when they are on as do draw correct current. Would need appropriate resistor in parrallel to mimic, with a heatsink, not been bothered enough to try and sort yet.
93 4.0 Sovereign, James, 687486, 94MY
93 3.2 XJ6, Jerry, 94MY
93 3.2 XJ6, parts supply, 94MY

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:42 pm

well,

that didn't last long

going round the car today , and spotted the brand spanking new front fog light is smashed, and cracked all over,

sometime you just wonder why ....

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Sand interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

Aidan
Snr Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Brake buster wrote:well,

that didn't last long

going round the car today , and spotted the brand spanking new front fog light is smashed, and cracked all over,

sometime you just wonder why ....

BB

Damn BB, that really sucks!
Life is all ups and downs. After having two headlamps and a foglamp on my X300 smashed by stones flung out by a lorry's wheel, I feel for you, even though I hadn't just spent all that effort and money a few months earlier to replace precisely those parts, like you did.
Are you going to replace it again? Maybe a lens protector made of acrylic and held in place by means of some sort of adhesive on the corners, for example, might be a way to go? :geek:
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

Return to “Exterior”