SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Fluid check

Indiana_Jones

Fluid check

Postby Indiana_Jones » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 am

Hey there guys,

First off, apologies for the lack of pictures, but I have at long last found and bought an XJ40!

She's a 1987 3.6 Sovereign in a shade of blue that I still need to confirm.

So I'll endeavour to get some photos up this weekend, as I know how much people love photos here.

So I'm keen to get the fluids changed, so I know that they've been done.

So in terms of engine oil, what would be recommended? I see the owners handbook has a few suggestions. Was thinking 10w40 or 20w50 (she has 122,000km or 76,000m on the clock)?

Automatic transmission fluid, I see the handbook calls for Dexron IID, but this seems hard to come by, would Dexron III be ok?

Power steering fluid, the handbook says Dexron IID or 'Type G', so same as above, is Dexron III ok? But I've seen some online discussion where it's mentioned that HSMO needs to be used? can anyone confirm?

SLS reservoir, so going by the handbook and online information, this is filled with HSMO and this services the SLS and the brake servo, correct?

Brake fluid is just standard DOT4?

My apologies if this has been covered before, but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew
1987 3.6 Auto Sovereign 506111

Eddie_6505

Re: Fluid check

Postby Eddie_6505 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi and congrats on the 40!

I tend to use 10w40 in my car but it depends on the ambient temperature really. You car is pretty low milage so I don't think you need to go as thick as 20w50.

Dexron III should be fine for transmission, it's all meant to be backwards compatible I believe.

Some model years car do use HSMO in the power steering but I think you car will need the Dexron III stuff, at least that's what's in mine.

Yep correct, you need to correct bottle from Castrol ideally as it has a special adaptor to fill the reservoir but any HSMO should do the trick.

Yep, DOT4 is fine.

Other thing you might want to change is the diff oil. These do tend to leak so it could be pretty low and often gets neglected changing. You can fill it up through a 'paint pot' lid in the boot. It's also worth seeing if you have an LSD or not as these require a special oil. Jack the back of the car up and spin one wheel, if the other wheel spins same direction then it's LSD.

Hope that helps :)
1988 Daimler 3.6

Indiana_Jones

Postby Indiana_Jones » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:52 am

That helps a lot, thanks Eddie!

Hoping the sun is out tomorrow so i can give her a clean and take a few snaps.

old del boy
Distinguished Mbr

Postby old del boy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:11 am

Don't forget to grease the universal joints on the half shafts , i would think they haven't been done for a good while ;) .

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

Indiana_Jones

Postby Indiana_Jones » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:17 am

Cheers Del, I'll add it to the list.

Photos

Return to “Service”