Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Tool Kit Clean Up

CraigXJ40

Tool Kit Clean Up

Postby CraigXJ40 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi all, the toolkit in our new XJ6 was missing some bits. Fortunately, I was able to source a part-set in a broken case fairly cheaply in order to have it complete. I love the tool kit in the XJ40. We had one lying around our garage for years long after J42SDA was gone. I don't know what ever happened to the case - I certainly wasn't thinking I'd ever own an XJ40, but for 25 years, my dad's kept the spanners and screwdriver in his toolbox.

As you’ll know, the spark plug spanners become pretty tarnished through time and even the new set I ordered from JDHT a couple of years ago was the same.

Whilst I was watching football last night, I thought I’d try rubbing it down with some wet and dry sandpaper (600/1200) and then polishing with autosol. Quite pleased with the results. I think they came from the factory with more of a satin finish, but once I’d started, I couldn’t stop! I also did the screwdriver and to a lesser extent, the pliers as well. The tools look great shiny but no doubt they’ll dull through time.

I did notice there are at least two styles of reversible screwdriver, at least one of which came in either red or black. Dad's original screwdriver was black, but most of those I have seen, including in the owners handbook, have been red. Also, the cap on the tyre pressure gauge is either white or black. Not sure if this is random variation, or if it was originally applicable to certain model years. I'm sure I read something from Rob about this before...

For anyone looking to complete their tool kit, I believe the tyre pressure gauge (Jaguar Part No. 562019J - NLA) is a Schrader type tyre pressure gauge (No. 932302). The pliers (Jaguar Part No. AFU1024 - NLA) are 6" combination side cutting pliers with red PVC dipped handles (for ease of identification, there's a 'K' cast into one handle beneath the PVC). Still to find a source for the spark plug socket and tommy bar - looking at JDHT, there may be two different sizes of these. I've seen them with a manufacturers label with the Union Jack on, but I can't find a picture of one to help identify the manufacturer.

1992 Sovereign 3.2 Auto Diamond Blue Saville Grey
1989 XJ6 2.9 Auto Arctic Blue Doeskin

SovverBovver
Snr Member

Re: Tool Kit Clean Up

Postby SovverBovver » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:28 am

That looks like a good result.

Did you rub off the chrome plating?
1992 Jaguar Sovereign

Jaguarxj40
Snr Member

Re: Tool Kit Clean Up

Postby Jaguarxj40 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:11 pm

SovverBovver wrote:That looks like a good result.

Did you rub off the chrome plating?

I'm with you on that sovverbovver, would like to know if that's all the plating removed a it looks a very good result.

Gary.
Current
1996 BMW Z3
1990 Jaguar XJ40 4.0

Previous,in this order.
1986 BMW M535i
1985 BMW 525e
1972 Vauxhall victor FE2300
1966 Ford cortina estate
1961 Renault dauphine Gordini
1978 Range Rover
1976 LR 101 forward control