Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

No heater blowers or heat

scott78

No heater blowers or heat

Postby scott78 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi, I have a 1993 sovereign 4.0 auto which i picked up a week ago.
My problem is the heater blowers are not working and when the heat is turned up it has no warmth to it.
-I've checked fuses, all ok.
-Hot water seems to be getting to the heating system as i found a hot copper pipe under the glover box.
-All the lights come on the heater controles. when i turn the fan on i can hear a click under the glove box when i turn it to each blower setting.
-I have noted as i turn the blower on i can hear no fan sound, but when on full the top of the dash creecks and moves up a little and when i turn it off it creeks and lowers down. sounds funny but thats what i've seen.

please help

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru

Re: No heater blowers or heat

Postby xj12-rob » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Sounds to me as though both your blowers have given up the ghost, a common fault, IMO but not others, a real swine to swap over, xjr-ant does them in an hour, I've even offered him money to come and do mine!!

before you go to these you could check, the ECU, located lower right hand side of the heater/aircon main unit, and the rotary switch on the dash, best way is by substitution for known to be good items

If it turns out to be the blowers, it will be the Darlington resistor that has given up, these are cheap to buy and easy to fit once you have the blower units out, there is a thread on here somewhere about swapping them out

If the blower has had water get into it, again quite common, it may well have attacked the motor rendering it useless, in this case you are looking to replace both blower units

the clicking and creaking you can hear is quite normal on these cars as the air temp sensors are still working, they are telling the aircon what temp the car is, where to send the air and what flaps to open and close

hope this helps
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

scott78

Postby scott78 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:29 pm

thanks for your help i'll have a look over the weekend and let you know what i find.

richard moss

Postby richard moss » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:44 am

This is the job I did on mine:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=96