Thought I'd mention that I did this recently on my x300.
I was recovering door cards from my XJS(more on this soon) and since I had to replace the cloth on the door pockets with a new one I thought I'd do the headliner on the x300 too as it was stuck up with staples since early last year(it dropped literally within a month of me buying the car!
). I've also already had the cloth that I bought many years ago for my XJ40 which was in the right(almost) colour so thought its the right time
Since its an LWB I didnt have to remove anything out of the car, it was very simple while I figured out how best to do it. Out it comes:https://goo.gl/photos/f6vh49JUTtbsyEJ76https://goo.gl/photos/6QUTPk3LbTtRiDL59
All I need to do was to move the seats while moving the board and bend it lightly to get through the door at the start.
And its out! https://goo.gl/photos/92fxJ1fN1oUbxCWE6
A lot of rotten foam!https://goo.gl/photos/GLnXnCbWRYVai26g8https://goo.gl/photos/Vh3s9dREkDUSYq4c9
Half an hour with a hoover and the board was clean and ready for the material. I've got the material out of its packaging(never even opened it before) only to find the new cloth rotten in the middle! https://goo.gl/photos/wa2JisUQ3uXSzaUG6
Clearly me storing it in a damp shed all these years didn't help it. The whole roll was damaged right in the middle but it was fine both ends(~foot length) enough to easily do the XJS door pocketshttps://goo.gl/photos/pMZJavfBba3BURdM7
So I've ordered new roll of headliner cloth and waited until it arrived. Sprayed whole can of glue on the board when it did and it stuck right up no problemshttps://goo.gl/photos/oG6C6rYUELCH8zTW6
Had to re do the sides and generally made few mistakes but in the end turned out really good.
Started fitting it in only to realise its upside down...
No idea how I didn't notice straight away! https://goo.gl/photos/92KF5ZnjLJQDtbVN7
Removed it again and fitted the right way this time:https://goo.gl/photos/tJwfcG5dUScLG1Ep9https://goo.gl/photos/VM538v1C3FZZWV6a9
Looks like new now!
So what did I do wrong? Well, for starters the old glue I had, only had to be sprayed on one side, when after I sprayed the new one and stuck the cloth on I've read on the can that it should be done on both sides!
Apparently I also needed to wait a minute before getting the cloth onto the board but in reality I should have started pretty much when I finished spraying the glue as it dries out quicker than expected. I should have also sprayed and covered the board in parts, not do it all in one go, that would save me a lot of trouble with the sides that I had redo. Am I happy with results? Yes, it looks great, material colour looks much better than original(more milky coffee than original greyish). I did leave it overnight as I wasn't sure it would hold up but it did and its ok for over a week now, including super hot days with 40C in the car for many hours.
Obviously the centre console needed to be reupholstered too as it was different brown colour so this came out: https://goo.gl/photos/kT3avFLvVYZ33vzJ7https://goo.gl/photos/MSJK2DC4vFBVQ6mA6
Clean up old rotten foam:https://goo.gl/photos/Rv9UVhhp9Z2v7Bp29
Stuck and glue new one on:https://goo.gl/photos/ohaUqh9q9iAYm5Sm8
and you get this:https://goo.gl/photos/pKTr9DthbcvRcHU37
the little pocket was much trickier but doable too(took two attempts to get it right)
And the final product...https://goo.gl/photos/p8fxmJSbkkZC8wip6
It is perfect? No its not, I was going to just try it out first and do it properly again(since I had lots of spare cloth) but after doing it all I think I'll leave it as it is for now(just because I'm being lazy here!
) Should really use a different glue for this, not in a spray, because its just difficult to get it in in all these tiny bends. It still looking great and of course miles better than the original dirty cloth.
The only thing that left are the sunvisors, didn't really look at them yet properly but I have no idea how to do them, I think they are stitched but if anyone ever done them, please let me know!
I'd be also interested in hearing from someone who removed headliner from an SWB without removing half of the car interior or windscreen. From what I saw with this board I could probably bend it in half and it would still be fine
Obviously its very easy in an LWB car and rather time consuming with SWB.
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.