Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

DIY alloy wheel refurbishment

ChrisW

DIY alloy wheel refurbishment

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:12 am

I mentioned in another post that I was refurbishing my 5 spoke alloys and some members wanted to know the methods I used, so here goes !

This was the wheel at the start, corrosion and chips around the rim and centre cap.

And these are the materials I used, all from Halfords. This was enough for all wheels, plus wet and dry 120, 1500 and 2500 grade sheets.

First carefully remove any balance weights from the rim and the centre cap, push it through from inside. All of mine had missing lugs. Make a mark on the tyre to remind you where to re attach the balance weight at the end of the job.

I used the rotary abrador in an electric drill to remove the loose flaking paint and get back to bright alloy, and then 120 grade wet and dry all over the rest of the wheel. Dont use a wire attachment over the outer surfaces, it scores the alloy too deeply. i used an angle grinder very gently where the rim was distorted by kerbing.

Despite my pevious comment...I did use a wire attachment to clean out the inside of the wheel nut wells.

And after 30 mins or so of hard work you get to this.

Then mask off the tyre, I used the blue disposable paper roll type stuff they sell at Halfords, I scored the shape of the tyre rim into the sheets of paper and cut out the shape with scissors, then tucked the edges neatly behind the rim with a scoring knife and taped down securely.

Then wiped down the whole wheel with white spirit

And lightly spray in the exposed alloy areas with the etch primer (green tin) which apparently reacts and bonds well to exposed metal.
This dries quickly, 30 mins or so. After that start building up the layers of the filler primer using the usual aerosol techniques of a steady distance and keeping it moving and overlapping each pass by 50%. add extra layers to any imperfections/scuffs/chips.

Then leave overnight to dry hard.

To be continued ....
http://www.springballchange.co.uk
'93 XJR
'93 XJ12
'73 MGB Roadster
97 Range Rover Autobiography