SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

XJ40 4.0 re-birth.

Jaguarxj40
Snr Member

Re: XJ40 4.0 re-birth.

Postby Jaguarxj40 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:36 am

Aidan wrote:Very professional looking boot infill panels there, Gary. We expect no less from you :) .
But how did you make the little clips that hold them in place... weld them onto the metal surrounding the holes?

Hi Aidan,
Thank you, the clips are automotive cable run clips that are a sort of a flat S shape that you would not normally see as they would be hidden behind panels in the car. I thought of all sorts of ways to fix these but the recess lip is so narrow I didn't want to over complicate it so this was a compromise, normally these clips have some sort of a galvanised finish and as they would be visible I painted them in body colour.

naki_k wrote:Very nice. Why they did not fit a cover on these pre 93 cars i don't know.

Did you check the little switch, on the RH hinge. They can break in various ways.

Hi Naki,

Thank you, you know that I can't stop doing things like this ;) yes it's very annoying that being such a lovely car they skimped on that last little bit of trim, however not that I noticed it before until I decided to tidy this area up but there are a series of square holes around the edge of the boot that can be seen in the picture, this not my original boot, I took this off another car in my local scrap yard so maybe this was off a post 93 car that would have had the full boot lining :?:

Ah yes, the boot light, I was going to mention this but you beat me to it :D

This was a real annoyance to me, with a multi meter I checked all wiring and could not find any issue at all, it couldn't be the switch surely, it's such a simple thing, right :roll:

I brought a new plunger switch from Halfords as genuine switches are ridiculously expensive and with the intention of adapting a bracket to make it work.

However, once I had wrestled (what a pig these mounting screws are to get at to remove this switch) the switch off, even though it's a non sevicable part I could see that there was a way in to disassemble it.
Nothing to loose, I took it apart carefully, the contact points were a little oxidised, cleaned up all contacts, tweaked both springs and a little silicon lubricant on the moving plunger, reassembled and hey presto a working light again :D

Gary.
Current
1996 BMW Z3
1990 Jaguar XJ40 4.0

Previous,in this order.
1986 BMW M535i
1985 BMW 525e
1972 Vauxhall victor FE2300
1966 Ford cortina estate
1961 Renault dauphine Gordini
1978 Range Rover
1976 LR 101 forward control
1968 S2 lightweight Land Rover
1975 Range Rover
1973 Range Rover
1972 series 3 Land Rover SWB

katar83
Distinguished Mbr

Postby katar83 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:12 pm

If you ever get to removing the rear a-frame here's a worst case scenario. Naki recently supplied me with a spare a-frame which must have came from a sunken 40 as it was very rusty and both bolts next to the bush were proper seized solid and completely rusted. On one side even the large spacer was completely seized and of course both bolts snapped maybe 3cm above the hole.

The only way to remove it is to either drill it out or clean the bolt with a wire brush and weld a nut and then undo it. If these two come out fine(on mine one came out easily, the other snapped) then the rest is a breeze and its an easy job, if they don't then its best to be prepared for the worst or leave it as is :)
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

Jaguarxj40
Snr Member

Postby Jaguarxj40 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:02 am

katar83 wrote:If you ever get to removing the rear a-frame here's a worst case scenario. Naki recently supplied me with a spare a-frame which must have came from a sunken 40 as it was very rusty and both bolts next to the bush were proper seized solid and completely rusted. On one side even the large spacer was completely seized and of course both bolts snapped maybe 3cm above the hole.

The only way to remove it is to either drill it out or clean the bolt with a wire brush and weld a nut and then undo it. If these two come out fine(on mine one came out easily, the other snapped) then the rest is a breeze and its an easy job, if they don't then its best to be prepared for the worst or leave it as is :)

Hi Katar83,

Thank you as ever for you're help and guidance and picture sequence, it's always good to know of any pitfalls before this job is next on the car bucket list.

Gary.
Current
1996 BMW Z3
1990 Jaguar XJ40 4.0

Previous,in this order.
1986 BMW M535i
1985 BMW 525e
1972 Vauxhall victor FE2300
1966 Ford cortina estate
1961 Renault dauphine Gordini
1978 Range Rover
1976 LR 101 forward control
1968 S2 lightweight Land Rover
1975 Range Rover
1973 Range Rover
1972 series 3 Land Rover SWB

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm about 10 pages behind in your adventure but wanted to say; awesome job on the respray and the interior. As someone that's tackled a couple of small leather covering jobs I doff my cap to your talent, particularly the dash.. much patience required there! I'm sure as I catch up on the other pages i'll see more great work too...

Return to “Jaguar XJ40 Gallery”