SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

L399GYP 1993 3.2S

Walker
Snr Member

Re: L399GYP 1993 3.2S

Postby Walker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:09 pm

Well I'm surprised how long I've gone without updating you guys. The car is on my mind from the moment I get up until I call it a night, no change there, but as usual work and life have kept me away.

Another busy weekend here, but I've managed to finally get that big rotten lump cut out of my lovely car. I've been getting bits and bobs before and after work but nothing feels more like progress then the sight of new metal.

Another similar view this time with brake pipe fixings and threaded inserts for wiper motor housing now in place.

The heater unit bolts to the back of this as we all know. The bolts pass through the bulkhead in funny shaped holes, the studs are 8mm. I could have faffed about filing the holes to the correct shape, just to put the oval washer over it and not think about it again, instead I have just drilled them in 8.5mm, measured from the removed panel and the centre's of the studs themselves. If all this wasn't accurate enough I just had to try the unit in place and feel quite confident in my work now, seeing the unit sat right where it should.

The primer is on as a temporary measure, as i would like to rub it all down and paint in as one panel at the end of the welding saga. Despite my best efforts there are 1 or 2 areas that need just a little more metal letting in and grinding 9ut, I don't like using any more than the bare minimum of body filler so if I can weld it up and grind it flat I will.

The panel replaced is a one piece effort, spot welded along the bottom, but with a 'joggled' lap joint on the other 3 sides. I tacked the whole thing in place and welded in very short runs to minimise any warping. Plenty of tea is usually good for pacing the welds.

Seam sealant I have is of unknown age, perhaps just 3 years, unopened, but I just think for another 50 odd quid I'd rather buy it again to be sure. I'll have brush on and in cartridge form so I will be sure to replace all that had been removed and then some.

I'm ordering some lovely Jotun Hardtop XPF, in Umbra Grey 7022, which is a very good quality paint I will be using on all fuel pipes and brake lines, along with various under chassis brackets Etc. I have all new steering and front brake hoses and pipes, I'm really looking forward to the reassembly as I slowly started taking my suspension parts home last week I had a little glimpse of what was to come, I'll have to sort a picture out for you guys :)

I've had a precursorary tickle of the n/s wing and there is a bit to do there, I'll not be venturing too far from the bulkhead until that's sorted, but I like to able to see what's up next.

I've spoken to a guy who is currently making up reproduction engine bay stickers for the car. He already offered a few for earlier xj40s and xjs, obviously as with most things they are different on later cars. I hope to be taking delivery of these in the coming weeks and hope to share them here with you. I can't think I will ever be in a position to spray the engine bay like this again so will endeavour to be as thorough as I can.

I get a strange feeling when I look at the car as there is basically the washer bottle and o/s headlight and loom still to remove, everything else is out and it really looks just about as serious as it gets.

I have a green light from the boss for heated windscreen from jcp, I have since acquired the loom and the control panel both second hand and funnily enough from the same seller in Canada. The current one will be out this month at some point, I have no reason to suspect any rust in the seating, but better check now as I'm at it. The same guy took my rear screen out when i did the headliner and we were both surprised to see a factory fresh edge right round the rear screen.

Until next weekend I'm hoping to get bits done during the week, we will see! Hopefully all suspension bits will be repatriated at least.
Kingfisher Blue '40 1993 3.2S #690760 L399GYP
Sapphire Blue '40 1994 Gold 3.2 #702107 L9CYD
Previous 1994 X300 3.2 Manual

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm

A bit more headway made today in bringing home all the front suspension parts from work. A milestone I suppose, but also a slight problem. Storing these in a way where they're not on top of each other or getting bumped about takes up a bit of space! I was going to hold off putting the front suspension back together, but with the spring compressor shortly being returned for another member to use and the shed now looking a bit full I'm likely to bring it forward.

Plenum Chamber is now ready for the new panel to be fitted as soon as the earth point and a few little tweaks are done to the panel.

Roll on the weekend!

Aidan
Snr Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 pm

This is a great thread! It's like looking at myself in the future. Everything you're doing is what I will have to do to my 3.2S: bulkhead; plenum; suspension rebuild; wing rust; dash removal; AC unit installation...

It's photo threads like Walker's that make XJ40.com the place to be. I hope that when (if?) get cracking on mine that I'll be able to contine contributing in such an informative manner.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Thank you Aidan for your reply! I really hope that anybody flicking though the forum humming and hawing about either buying an XJ40 or just where to start having just purchased one and starting a list come across this thread. I'm not a trained mechanic, I'm just pottering around with the car. If you can follow a Haynes manual and have a half decent socket set the rest does follow along.
The only way we are going to have XJ40s to complain about in 30 years time is if people start saving them and not just parting them out. So if I can help you when you take the dive Aidan or anybody else for that matter, give me a shout. I'm not the first to do this, and there are other members out there with much more of a clue then me, but this will need to become a more common topic for later model year cars.

Anyway, enough about me have a look at herself:

The rear of the new panel has been treated to the high zinc primer mentioned before. The green colour has also been mentioned before and is acting as a top coat for the internal area of the chamber. The top edge is sporting a weldable primer for later on...

I've gone with a half and half approach to the jaguar service sheet. The panel is bolted in place along the bottom edge. There is a high peaked bead of panel sealant along the top edge of the lower lip that once compressed and clamped in place has flattened evenly and sealed up the chamber edges. I've been in touch with the guy that took the rear screen out when I did the headliner and he should be free after Easter to take the front out. The top edge will then be welded shut and the final welding (woop!) will be finished on the scuttle ends.

Saturday was an eye opener as I had all the painted suspension parts on the bench and realised that was then out of action for any kind of work until the part are back in the car, so we started here :

And now looks like:

There is a lot more fettling to do regarding waxoyl and painting the brake line brackets in the arch, but looking a bit better now. The shock turrets were rather clean, pleasantly, but we're brushed back and zinc primed then undersealed. I stopped there, couldn't see the point in farting about with new wheel bearings as I would just have to work around the wheel hub for the next few months, a bit wide at the shoulder for crawling about under cars as it is!

If you've put up with me this far you would remember the slightly backward way I took the suspension assembly to bits. I had therefore not seen just how much clearance you need under the car to get the springs in and out. I switched tackle halfway into the 1st one and picked the front end up with the engine crane, the exhaust is still in place at the rear and the pipe finishers we're about 3 inches off the deck during the spring fitting!

I'd like to get on with the paint side of things in the engine bay soon, I can't really get going until that's done. I have removed the 'camouflage' from the n/s footwell and will and will be cutting out the bad from there soon. I don't really want to be doing bits here and here and oh here as it starts to get a bit half arsed, so not moving much further back until the bay is looking healthier.

I've been putting off taking out the fuel lines, I've been under, and made excuses, but I know they're a pain. I'd forgotten the pipes coming out of the tank are flexi and not steel so will just disconnect them at the filter side, I've disconnected those once before and well, that was one too many times!

Aidan
Snr Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Thanks for the offer of advice and encouragement, Walker.

The mechanical side doesn't worry me too much. I've recently re-built almost all the front suspension, brakes and steering of my XC90 so I have a fair supply of tools, including a 10 ton press and a compressor/ jack/ axle stands etc. It's the bodywork and electrics that worries me, but with a calm attitude and plenty of advice and encouragement from people like your good self and the rest of the team at XJ40, I like to think my Sport will avoid the scrap-heap and take to the roads once more.

Your car's suspension looks superb, as does that rather snazzy looking bulkhead panel!

Regards,
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

old del boy
Distinguished Mbr

Postby old del boy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 pm

I've been following your build with interest and you're doing a great job for a bloke with just a Haynes manual and a socket set ;)

I also think we're living in the last days of large petrol engined motoring , restorations like these are already a niche hobby and will eventually die out as governments carry on with their aim to save the planet , it could well be that in 30 years time cars like ours could be restricted to shows only so the longer we keep them running as regular transport the better , so make the most of it while you still can .
Keep up the excellent work , the front suspension is just lovely :)

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

katar83
Distinguished Mbr

Postby katar83 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am

Nice to put all new clean parts together, how was your fight with the wishbone bushes? Press? Compressed directly on rubber? Fuel lines are normally only bad at the rear, even my XJS fuel lines are fine front to 3/4 end of the car, then its a bit of a different story from there :lol: You're planning to replace them? Entire line or just sections?
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Great to hear back from you guys, if anything the forum serves as a sounding board and keeps me moving on roughly the right way!

old del boy wrote:I also think we're living in the last days of large petrol engined motoring , restorations like these are already a niche hobby
Derek..

I must admit I've been pecked into not driving the Jag when I could have, but when it's all back together I'll be upsetting the Mrs and making sure it gets out a bit more.

I often thought of it a bit like the Vulcan, cracking bit of work, but not allowed out to play. I wonder how well the eventual demise of internal combustion will be policed, especially up here in the brave old north. I drive the length and breadth of the place with work and apart from the rare ANPR cameras your pretty much left to it, hurrah.

As for fuel lines I they got mentioned the first time I put it in for the mot, I asked him to show me as it was up on the ramp still and it's just a slight ginge on the coupling on the return by the filter, they look to have been cleaned up in the last ooh 10 years or so.

I'm was day dreaming today about them, as you do, I could easily get them dipped and galvanised through work. We use a company in the central belt that have a 6m capacity tank, and have a minimum order to justify the run of about 1 ton of bits, so these long awkward pipes could easily be included.

Anybody ever renewed the fittings? I was reading Naki's post about them, here: https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?t=995927

2 litres of HFE Kingfisher Blue is on order for the engine bay, all the way from sunny Aberdeen.

Blasted and primed a heap of odds and ends for the car today, in the hopes of one day seeing my shed floor again...

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words, so less from me and more of this ;

I have received the reproduction engine bay stickers from Jag_Sticker, a seller I found on eBay. Aside from offering earlier XJ40 and XJS stickers, Dave was more than happy to adjust and provide some really excellent products for my car.

I hope by sharing these with you guys on here we can show a need for this kind of thing going forward, it would be great to see things like this not be an impossible find for cars that need inner wing repairs.

I can highly recommend getting in touch with Dave, indeed I will be asking him about others as I find the time. Quality and finish are nigh on identical to the originals, and the 4.0 emissions sticker would be available should you require it.

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Dave is a great bloke, and does quality work with these decals

he actually sent me a few prototypes for the airflow meters last year to see if they were ok , a few tweaks and got them to look fantastic

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

Return to “Jaguar XJ40 Gallery”