SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

A story of two XJR's.

xjr41

A story of two XJR's.

Postby xjr41 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:01 am

Hello all,

As most of you probably know I've been hanging around this forum for a while now, almost exactly 2 years ago, after being a member of several others which I left due to all the infighting, name calling and clickiness. (Anyone else that was around at the time knows what I am talking about). I also own and run the website http://www.jaguarsport-xjr.com, which I started because of my love affair with the JaguarSport models of XJ40.

Anyway, to cut a long story short my best mate had a 1991 Solent Blue XJR and I had it as my wedding car. 10 years later he decided to emigrate to Australia and I was lucky enough to be able to buy his old car. Unfortunately he had taken it off the road several years earlier to restore it and the years sitting in his garden hadn't been too kind to it. The underneath of the car and the sills looked like lace dollys. A bit unfortunate but I was going to give it a go anyway, the car and I had history together.

Then along comes ebay with its varied bag of treats, and I find a 1993 XJR manual up for grabs. It had a few issues, holes in inner wings and bulkhead etc but having always lusted after a manual I decided I had to have it, and won the car, unseen, at £471. My dads a car dealer and one of the first rules of buying a car he taught me was never buy a car unseen and on someone elses word. Well, I had just thrown all that out the window!!!

I went to pick the car up and as it happens it wasn't a bad old motor, all very original and with a personal plate. One owner from new, body had a few dings, interior was excellent for the miles (120k) and it fired up first time. Drove the car home and it was fine, a lovely thing to drive with a back end that was very easy to get out of line!! :twisted:

So I now had two of these things on the drive, our car out on the road and a wifes abuse to contend with! :roll: They just don't understand!!!

I (WE) made the decision one had to go, and so my ex-wedding car lost. No way was I losing out on the manual one!

So it got stripped and sold for spares, mainly to help pay for the work I knew was going to be involved in getting the manual up to scratch. I had been talking to Keith Parrington of XJ Restorations (http://www.xjrestorations.co.uk) about the work that would need doing and so was aware of the costs that I was about to get involved in.

Anyway, ebay was once again my friend and the parts flew out. I was quite lucky in as much as the car had a bootful of NOS Jaguar parts for XJR's which was rare enough in itself, but also lucky that xjr-ant also has a solent blue XJR the same year as the one I was breaking, he seemed to buy most of it!!! :D
It ended up being dragged away looking like this!

So then I started collecting parts for the rebuild. I had a fair idea of the work that was going to be needed and it was quite substantial. Heres what my inner wings and bulkhead looked like.

I start wondering how rare the car actually is, and if its worth saving. At the time there are no figures around about these cars, just made up figures that had been bandied around for years. So I get into contact with Anders at JDHT and he advises that he has all the original JaguarSport build cards there, if I want I can spend some time in the archives and research to my hearts content. So I trot up to Coventry several times over the year and create a database of all JaguarSport XJR's ever built.

In case anyone didn't know....
252 3.6 litre, all RHD, all auto.
991 4.0 litre. 567 RHD, 548 auto, 19 manual. 424 LHD, 360 auto, 64 manual.

So my car is one of only 19. That makes it fairly rare I thought. Then I find out it is actually the second to last ever RHD manual XJR. I have a look for the last one and seeing as it hasn't been taxed since 2004, I guess we can safely assume we will never see it again so my car is actually the last manual RHD XJR.

So that decided it, I have to rebuild this and get it back on the road.

Then when I started stripping the car I found all the floors were also rusty!

So the car gets trailored away to the sunny coast near Brighton for the work to be done. Here she will stay with Keith until the bodyshell is rigid and proper again, probably 3-4 months.

Keith has started sending me some pics of the mess the car is in and the work he is doing to it.

Heres the rust under the car.

Heres the floors before Keith started cutting, and also during the cutting.

Dashboard out!!!!

And rusty bulkhead.

I will post any more up here for you all to see and enjoy. Needless to say this is becoming a labour of love. If I think without emotion about the amount of money I am throwing at a car worth about £500 I want to shoot myself! But then I think about it being sorted and driving the thing, in the knowledge that its a fairly unique car then I smile and believe its all worthwhile.
And if they take away my house cos I haven't been able to pay the mortgage, so be it!

Also had the wheels stripped and refurbed by a friend who does it for a living. Look at these bad boys!! :)

So thats were I am now. I'll try and keep this updated as much as I can and I will also be putting a blog about this up on my website as well.
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration

DefAleks

Re: A story of two XJR's.

Postby DefAleks » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 am

how it is possible to be so rusty?
Good Luck in restoration

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:36 am

thats pretty inspiring dedication there! you may well loose you house and wife though in the process of paying for the rust busting alone though? :o
was it always the plan to pay to get a professional resto? were you not thinking of doing it yourself? i know it would require a workshop, where lye's the problem for most of us. i do all work work out on the street outside the house, which is a long way from ideal, and causes no end of pleasure for the neighbours, but hey, i dont like them either. mind you not even i would attempt a full strip down on the street. tough call.

i was slightly surprised at the extent of the rust for a 93 car too. normally only the pre 93s look like that! had it been near the sea all its life?
mine had the usual rust spot places, but no very bad at all. and am hoping i have rescued mine intime, before it caught hold big time.
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

xjr41

Postby xjr41 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 pm

I always planned for Keith to do all the structural work, as I know I wasn't able to and after speaking to 3 other restorers Keith was the only one that seemed to have the experience and inclination to want to do the work. I also had several personal recommendations for his work from members of this and other forums. We spoke for about a year prior to the car being shipped to his workshop and I guess a year of the car just sitting unmoving on my drive accelerated any rust that was already there.

It is a lot of work but at the end of it it should be one of the best XJR's around. At least I hope so, thats what I'm aiming at and Keith is aware of this and willing to help to get the car to that state. Yes, it is expensive but at the end of the day its still cheaper than buying a brand new Vauxhall Vectra and how happy would you be with one of those!
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:07 pm

lets hope you finally get some good use out of this long term investment. any completion time estimate?
defo better than vectra and will probably outlast a vectra too.
how are you managing for transport in the meantime. dont you wish you had saved the other xjr as an everyday, more carefree style motoring? like two daimlers Derek, one for sunday best and one for the supermarket run/ commuting?
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

Jaguarsport

Postby Jaguarsport » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Unfortunately I can't see your pictures here at work, photobucket is blocked, I'll be having a squint tonight.

I admire the work your doing to save the XJR, certainly a rare car you have with the manual box, it'll surely be a lovely example when completed. I must say that I don't have the same sentimentality with regards to preserving particular model variants though I'm glad others do. Personally, I'd have swapped the manual box into a 4.0L with a solid body, the bottom line for me is the hardware.
http://www.jaguarxj40project.blogspot.com/
Alfa Romeo 159 Lusso 1.9 jtdm ('07)
BMW 120d Sport ('07)
Mazda MX6 2.5 V6 ('97)

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Great to see someone saving what is a quite rare model , as for the cost well thousands of car enthusiasts spend money far in excess of what a car is worth to achieve their dream car , just enjoy doing the restoration and get some use out of it , you'll still have a car worth a fair bit when the time comes to sell .

I like the way the steering wheel is just hanging down , most of us would have removed it wouldn't we :?

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

Equinoxstudios

Postby Equinoxstudios » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:03 pm

old del boy wrote:I like the way the steering wheel is just hanging down , most of us would have removed it wouldn't we :?
Derek..

It looks like it's a boom bagger so maybe it was left well alone ;)
1994 XJ40 Sovereign 4.0 Brooklands Green
Surrey Hants Border xj40.com Regional Rep
email: surreyhantsborder.xj40com@gmail.com
Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru

Postby xj12-rob » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 pm

sadly this rust is all too common on later 40's i have posted pics of cars in the same state, thankfully they have not been rare ones as Steve's is, so good on yer mate for having this one done, i just hope it progresses quicker than my pre pro XJR manual 300 M64 FVC, I've just come back from the guys worshop now an NO progress diddly squat, this is the sum total of progress since Feb this year

frustrated from Scotland!!
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:46 pm

shiiit, is that how bad the rust was on the arch and wing, to replace all that. would have thought it would just be the lip area?
makes me feel better about mine though :?:
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler