Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

L399GYP 1993 3.2S

katar83

Re: L399GYP 1993 3.2S

Postby katar83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:08 pm

Heated screen is amazing in winter, I love mine even if it only sees any use ~10 times a year :lol: Re button I'm not sure whether it has a separate button or not in a 40, I think Larry has a heated screen so he should be able to tell us. In my x300 there is a separate button for it in the AC panel. Funny thing is that ALL panels have it internally, switch is there inside and its operational, it's just the actual plastic button bit is missing on non heated screens versions of that panel :roll:
1996, 3.2 SWB X300 - Relatively rust free daily driver!
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car, sold 10.2020!.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, 10.2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - First Jaaaag, long gone.

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:27 pm

you will need to change the heater control panel for one with the top button which is split into two switches, one being the heated screen , it does only remotely operate the relay ( timer relay ? ) mounted in the left passenger footwell, the main feed plug is already there and wired in every '40 , just connect this loom, pass through the bulkhead in front of the passenger footwell, and route along the bulkhead in the engine bay ,

the two squarish ' cut-outs ' in the screen scuttle on either side is for the loom with rubber seal to sit into , this is there on your new panel , and was ' sealed up ' on your old panel,

you could rob a signal from the rear screen heater relay to switch the front screen one until a proper heater panel with switch is found

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2015 XF Sportbrake Luxury 2.2D Turbo in British Racing Green Metallic

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:34 pm

katar83 wrote:
Brake buster wrote:(...)
i was going to do mine, but when i got a crack insurance would only do like for like,

Doesn't make much sense to me, I've used autoglass and you simply pick which screen type you need when arranging replacement, they came with requested heated one and fitted it to my car no problems at all, even though wiring wasn't even present at the time, guy that fitted it said as far as I'm happy with it they don't care at all and I never even talked to insurance, they sorted everything their end.

well put it this way ,

i didn't lie to my insurers or screen company when asked what it was...

and on insurance renewal, when i declared i had claimed for a new screen ( as you must even if it is covered ) the renewal actually went down by another tenner....

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2015 XF Sportbrake Luxury 2.2D Turbo in British Racing Green Metallic

katar83

Postby katar83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 pm

Brake buster wrote:well put it this way,

i didn't lie to my insurers or screen company when asked what it was...

and on insurance renewal, when i declared i had claimed for a new screen ( as you must even if it is covered ) the renewal actually went down by another tenner....

I feel like a thug, will be replacing windscreen for the fourth time(was messed up once by autoglass) on this car, probably later this year, neither insurer ever asked me about windscreen and neither it was an option to pick from(they didn't ask either) when they quoted me... :lol:

Anyway, it appears that the AC panel is still available new from Jaguar at £187, part number DBC11815 is the one you need. Maybe Naki might have a spare one and I'm wondering whether the internal switch is in the non heated windscreen too, like on the x300 panel, its next to demist so who knows, might be there already.

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 pm

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow here, it has been a rather long day I suppose. My car has air con fitted does this complicate things further? I'll have a look what spares I have you never know what's lurking in the loft. I'm sure Naki will have some advice when he logs on.

Pretty much just talked myself into doing this while the dash is out :roll:
Kingfisher Blue '40 1993 3.2S #690760 L399GYP

katar83

Postby katar83 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 pm

It doesn't. Here's what you need:

Like I said, still available from JCP new.

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 pm

Ah that makes much more sense, thank you. Certainly handy knowing they have them at JCP. You guys are going to get me in trouble. :lol:

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:09 pm

Well I'm surprised how long I've gone without updating you guys. The car is on my mind from the moment I get up until I call it a night, no change there, but as usual work and life have kept me away.

Another busy weekend here, but I've managed to finally get that big rotten lump cut out of my lovely car. I've been getting bits and bobs before and after work but nothing feels more like progress then the sight of new metal.

Another similar view this time with brake pipe fixings and threaded inserts for wiper motor housing now in place.

The heater unit bolts to the back of this as we all know. The bolts pass through the bulkhead in funny shaped holes, the studs are 8mm. I could have faffed about filing the holes to the correct shape, just to put the oval washer over it and not think about it again, instead I have just drilled them in 8.5mm, measured from the removed panel and the centre's of the studs themselves. If all this wasn't accurate enough I just had to try the unit in place and feel quite confident in my work now, seeing the unit sat right where it should.

The primer is on as a temporary measure, as i would like to rub it all down and paint in as one panel at the end of the welding saga. Despite my best efforts there are 1 or 2 areas that need just a little more metal letting in and grinding 9ut, I don't like using any more than the bare minimum of body filler so if I can weld it up and grind it flat I will.

The panel replaced is a one piece effort, spot welded along the bottom, but with a 'joggled' lap joint on the other 3 sides. I tacked the whole thing in place and welded in very short runs to minimise any warping. Plenty of tea is usually good for pacing the welds.

Seam sealant I have is of unknown age, perhaps just 3 years, unopened, but I just think for another 50 odd quid I'd rather buy it again to be sure. I'll have brush on and in cartridge form so I will be sure to replace all that had been removed and then some.

I'm ordering some lovely Jotun Hardtop XPF, in Umbra Grey 7022, which is a very good quality paint I will be using on all fuel pipes and brake lines, along with various under chassis brackets Etc. I have all new steering and front brake hoses and pipes, I'm really looking forward to the reassembly as I slowly started taking my suspension parts home last week I had a little glimpse of what was to come, I'll have to sort a picture out for you guys :)

I've had a precursorary tickle of the n/s wing and there is a bit to do there, I'll not be venturing too far from the bulkhead until that's sorted, but I like to able to see what's up next.

I've spoken to a guy who is currently making up reproduction engine bay stickers for the car. He already offered a few for earlier xj40s and xjs, obviously as with most things they are different on later cars. I hope to be taking delivery of these in the coming weeks and hope to share them here with you. I can't think I will ever be in a position to spray the engine bay like this again so will endeavour to be as thorough as I can.

I get a strange feeling when I look at the car as there is basically the washer bottle and o/s headlight and loom still to remove, everything else is out and it really looks just about as serious as it gets.

I have a green light from the boss for heated windscreen from jcp, I have since acquired the loom and the control panel both second hand and funnily enough from the same seller in Canada. The current one will be out this month at some point, I have no reason to suspect any rust in the seating, but better check now as I'm at it. The same guy took my rear screen out when i did the headliner and we were both surprised to see a factory fresh edge right round the rear screen.

Until next weekend I'm hoping to get bits done during the week, we will see! Hopefully all suspension bits will be repatriated at least.

Walker
Snr Member

Postby Walker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm

A bit more headway made today in bringing home all the front suspension parts from work. A milestone I suppose, but also a slight problem. Storing these in a way where they're not on top of each other or getting bumped about takes up a bit of space! I was going to hold off putting the front suspension back together, but with the spring compressor shortly being returned for another member to use and the shed now looking a bit full I'm likely to bring it forward.

Plenum Chamber is now ready for the new panel to be fitted as soon as the earth point and a few little tweaks are done to the panel.

Roll on the weekend!

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 pm

This is a great thread! It's like looking at myself in the future. Everything you're doing is what I will have to do to my 3.2S: bulkhead; plenum; suspension rebuild; wing rust; dash removal; AC unit installation...

It's photo threads like Walker's that make XJ40.com the place to be. I hope that when (if?) get cracking on mine that I'll be able to contine contributing in such an informative manner.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE - Sold
2007 Colorado Red Ford Galaxy Ghia

Return to “Jaguar XJ40 Gallery”