Well I'm surprised how long I've gone without updating you guys. The car is on my mind from the moment I get up until I call it a night, no change there, but as usual work and life have kept me away.
Another busy weekend here, but I've managed to finally get that big rotten lump cut out of my lovely car. I've been getting bits and bobs before and after work but nothing feels more like progress then the sight of new metal.
Another similar view this time with brake pipe fixings and threaded inserts for wiper motor housing now in place.
The heater unit bolts to the back of this as we all know. The bolts pass through the bulkhead in funny shaped holes, the studs are 8mm. I could have faffed about filing the holes to the correct shape, just to put the oval washer over it and not think about it again, instead I have just drilled them in 8.5mm, measured from the removed panel and the centre's of the studs themselves. If all this wasn't accurate enough I just had to try the unit in place and feel quite confident in my work now, seeing the unit sat right where it should.
The primer is on as a temporary measure, as i would like to rub it all down and paint in as one panel at the end of the welding saga. Despite my best efforts there are 1 or 2 areas that need just a little more metal letting in and grinding 9ut, I don't like using any more than the bare minimum of body filler so if I can weld it up and grind it flat I will.
The panel replaced is a one piece effort, spot welded along the bottom, but with a 'joggled' lap joint on the other 3 sides. I tacked the whole thing in place and welded in very short runs to minimise any warping. Plenty of tea is usually good for pacing the welds.
Seam sealant I have is of unknown age, perhaps just 3 years, unopened, but I just think for another 50 odd quid I'd rather buy it again to be sure. I'll have brush on and in cartridge form so I will be sure to replace all that had been removed and then some.
I'm ordering some lovely Jotun Hardtop XPF, in Umbra Grey 7022, which is a very good quality paint I will be using on all fuel pipes and brake lines, along with various under chassis brackets Etc. I have all new steering and front brake hoses and pipes, I'm really looking forward to the reassembly as I slowly started taking my suspension parts home last week I had a little glimpse of what was to come, I'll have to sort a picture out for you guys
I've had a precursorary tickle of the n/s wing and there is a bit to do there, I'll not be venturing too far from the bulkhead until that's sorted, but I like to able to see what's up next.
I've spoken to a guy who is currently making up reproduction engine bay stickers for the car. He already offered a few for earlier xj40s and xjs, obviously as with most things they are different on later cars. I hope to be taking delivery of these in the coming weeks and hope to share them here with you. I can't think I will ever be in a position to spray the engine bay like this again so will endeavour to be as thorough as I can.
I get a strange feeling when I look at the car as there is basically the washer bottle and o/s headlight and loom still to remove, everything else is out and it really looks just about as serious as it gets.
I have a green light from the boss for heated windscreen from jcp, I have since acquired the loom and the control panel both second hand and funnily enough from the same seller in Canada. The current one will be out this month at some point, I have no reason to suspect any rust in the seating, but better check now as I'm at it. The same guy took my rear screen out when i did the headliner and we were both surprised to see a factory fresh edge right round the rear screen.
Until next weekend I'm hoping to get bits done during the week, we will see! Hopefully all suspension bits will be repatriated at least.