Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

time to admit defeat

knight29

time to admit defeat

Postby knight29 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Well as soon as i sort out my lights a new problem arises,i fireed her up and she filled the car park with blue smoke,it did clear out as she warmed,but its just another in a long list of problems so i'm going to see the interest in breaking her,and try and raise enough cash to buy another,if no interest from breaking i'll put her away and rip her apart and start from scratch,the blue smoke maybe wrong oil,shes got 15/40w in her now as i wasn't putting expensive stuff in while she was pissing it out,and still haven't put in the bypass,so maybe that,or valve seals,as i hear when they go they leak oil causing blue smoke,bear in mind i live in orkney so bigger parts are going to be a pain,i do want another jag,so need to raise the money to get one,if you want anything let me know :(

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru

Re: time to admit defeat

Postby xj12-rob » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:35 pm

MMM, sound ominous, could be the old bottomless XJ40 money pit we all know and love, you may be right in just checking out what is for sale , they are cheap just now, there is a j reg Daimler on here at 800.00 as we speak, maybe worth a look see

I'm not aware of any cars local to you or me for sale at the moment, but if you spot anything close to me, I'll gladly go and have a look for you
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

xjr-ant

Postby xjr-ant » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Shame to hear this, how long was the car standing before you fired it up. Im not sure about 2.9 but now many 4L/3.6/3.2 leak oil into the bores and creat the puff of smoke at start up. Mine does it.

I would stick to 10-40 oil (unless specified different for the 2.9) esp if you are going to by pass the oil cooler.
Various XJ40's and one X300.

knight29

Postby knight29 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Had been run the day before,has been run everyday since i got her going,i know its meant to have 10/30w,but had 15/40w in shed,and haven't bypassed her yet,i'm going to service it again this week,new oil filters plugs etc,put the bypass in,see if that makes any improvement,if not i'll break it up and sell what i can to get a new one,Cheers for the offer of going to have a look if i find one near you Rob,i'll keep my eyes peeled,though i'll buy anything thats not as rotten and will make the trip here,i'd like another blue one,so i can keep my interior,but its whatever catches my eye ;) :lol:

DoubleSixForty

Postby DoubleSixForty » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Ah, yeah be a shame for another forty to leave us! hope it redeems itself when you service it...I wonder how fast numbers are dwindling? I'm getting to the stage where I feel I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't have one!... Good colour combo yours too - like blue leather!!

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:48 am

Well i'm glad to hear you got your lights sorted out , my no2 car started life with me as a spares car with numerous faults but it had loads of tax and MOT with it so i decided to run it up till the next MOT and work my way through the faults.

Having owned it for about a year now i have enjoyed learning about the car and fixed all but one fault [the dreaded blower speed problem] but i know what needs to be done and one day when i'm really bored i might have a go at it .

There does come a time though when it might be better to call it a day , i'm not a believer in flogging dead horses , there are still plenty of reasonably good cars out there that don't cost a fortune to buy and only need a bit of TLC .

There's a lot of 3.2 models around at the moment and there pretty cheap too , unless you really love this car i would move on , lifes too short ;)

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

richard moss

Postby richard moss » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:21 pm

It would be worth spending a little time cleaning out all the breather pipes - when I got my 2.9 they were so clogged up with greasy oil deposits that they were almost completely blocked. The throttle body was full of oil and the car smoked quite badly.

Cleaning it all out certainly cleaned up the exhaust.

majestic

Postby majestic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:02 pm

knight29 wrote:Had been run the day before,has been run everyday since i got her going,i know its meant to have 10/30w,but had 15/40w in shed,and haven't bypassed her yet,i'm going to service it again this week,new oil filters plugs etc,put the bypass in,see if that makes any improvement,if not i'll break it up and sell what i can to get a new one,Cheers for the offer of going to have a look if i find one near you Rob,i'll keep my eyes peeled,though i'll buy anything thats not as rotten and will make the trip here,i'd like another blue one,so i can keep my interior,but its whatever catches my eye ;) :lol:

Well that will be worth a few bob on its own mate.

Return to “XJ40 Parts For Sale”