David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

xj40 from belgium

Meeting room
cedriccools

xj40 from belgium

Postby cedriccools » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi Guys

I have already askes some questions on here, but I am quite new one here, so here we go

My name is Cédric, age 23 and I live in Berlaar, about 25kmh from Antwerp, Belgium

Most of the time I am working on classic Vespa's and lambretta's, but this is a new adventure to me.

Recently I bought this xj40 4.0 sovereign from 1989 with some things to solve, but in quite okay shape.

Things on my list to solve:
- engine oil leak
- fuel fail 26
- exhaust manifold is ticking, you hear it clearly at the right side front foot area
- 'anti lock' light
- shock absorbers front and rear
- central locking isn't working due to worn out cylinder locks (thanks Naki), these will hopefully arrive next week
- differential pinion seal is leaking
- the red dashboard brake lights start to glow when I push the brake pedal, and goes out when i release
- inlet manifold does sweat a litlle bit at cilinder 6
- the right small most rear window is coming air inside, you can hear it when driving and is quite irritating
- search socket for h2 bulb for front fog light

what I already did;
- new camshaft cover gasket
- new spark plugs
- new air filter
- left blower motor changed
- new front window

anyone some idea's on the fuel fail 26 and some tricks on how to remove the manifold without dissmantling as less as possible?

carsie
Snr Member

Re: xj40 from belgium

Postby carsie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Bienvenu Cedric :D

Looks like a nice '40 you've got yourself there; there's always a "To Do List" that's what make it a hobby ;)

Been puzzling on your wheels - are they Jag XK100 ?

94 XJ40 S-C (Build Phase)

SovverBovver
Snr Member

Postby SovverBovver » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 am

I thought the wheels looked a bit like a LR Discovery design.

Removal of the (exhaust manifold) is pretty easy when things go well. Soak all threads in plenty of penetrating fluid beforehand. This is important because you don't want to strip an exhaust stud thread in the head. However, if this does happen you can rescue the situation with a helicoil, but access issues might mean the head has to come off... Go gently with the nuts when they do begin to turn and turn them back again often to work the rust out the thread until they turn easily.

The maniold is in two parts with a down pipe connected.

Remove the chrome heatsheild first to expose the manifold. Loosen and remove the manifold to downpipe nuts (2 per section) and split the manifold from the down pipe. Then carefully loosen the manifold nuts (4 per manifold section), remove the nuts securing the manifold to the head and remove the manifolds.

You'll probably find the manifolds have warped, and this can be rectified by machining. I think new ones are still available if necessary. :D
1992 Jaguar Sovereign

pugboyracer

Postby pugboyracer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:32 am

Welcome aboard Cédric!

Your car looks great with those wheels! Maybe a little bit of lowering to the suspension?? :D :D
1996 XJR6
2004 Ford Ka
2004 Renaultsport Clio 182

cedriccools

Postby cedriccools » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 am

thanks!

to be honest I don't know where the wheels come from. they were under it when i bought it.

I had a look at the ticking exhaust leak, and it looks like it comes from somewhere aroung the catalyst. not from the exhaust connection at the engine.

does the complete engine line needs to be removed to remove the catalyst?

Donkeychote

Postby Donkeychote » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:57 am

Welcome Cedric, nice to see more belgians here on the forum.

You don't need to remove the engine to get to the cat, it will come out from the bottom with the engine in place. If you have access to a lift, it's fairly easy. Just be sure to soak the nuts and bolts in plenty of penetrating fluid, same as was mentioned for the manifold nuts.
1988 3.6 Sovereign Talisman Silver Metallic

Return to “General Chat”