1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

Jaguarsport
Distinguished Mbr

Re: couple of pics.........

Postby Jaguarsport » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32 am

A fine pair. I particularly like that XJRS kit on your V12 there, very nice indeed.
http://www.jaguarxj40project.blogspot.com/
Alfa Romeo 159 Lusso 1.9 jtdm ('07)
BMW 120d Sport ('07)
Mazda MX6 2.5 V6 ('97)

Aidan
Snr Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 am

Looking great there, BB!
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

moglite

Postby moglite » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 am

They look great

Are you tempted to put twin headlights on the XJRS to match the 40 ??

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks lads

I have an 'every-day ' X-Type saloon as well , so they keep me busy ( and my for work ranualt megane sport tourer )

as for quads on the XJRS , na , I like the bandit look .....lol( though I have now put her up for sale after 15 years............ :shock: ) so you could put then on if you buy her, lol

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior

previously ,

david
Distinguished Mbr

Postby david » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:54 pm

I remember your resto thread for the XJ-S on the Jaguar World forum many years ago. It was a superb thread and a beautiful car.

When you 'mop' the bonnet, how do you deal with the up and down bits pressed into the bonnet? Is there a technique for it?
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 pm

thanks , wow , that was a few years back , lol

as for mopping the car, there are quite a few areas that are like this , but fortunately , the polishing pad ( 150mm ) is quite flexible, and ' sharp edged ' when spinning so gets in with no issues, and for the really small details i have a small 70mm battery drill polisher as well ,

as with most things on car body work prep is the key , nice and flatted with wetted 2000 paper and a pad while spraying water on as required, and use a squeegee to wipe off to see your progress, the aim is to remove all the high spots ( orange peel finish ) which gives the mottled reflections, sanding also removes years of swirl marks from washing and drying , a smooth flat matt finish is what your looking for before mopping ,

ensure you stay away from moulded edges while sanding and mopping, the paint is usually thinner there and can burn through if over zealous , as ever , keep it moving

i am using '3M fast cut plus' of differing grades ( green then blue ) , blue also being called ' anti hollogram finish ( no swirls )

once mopped use a good sealer of your choice ( known as polish for most )

lots and lots of work , most of it in the prep ,

once mopped i will be getting the ' dents away ' chap to remove a few little dints

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior

previously ,

Aidan
Snr Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:12 am

Brake buster wrote:as with most things on car body work prep is the key , nice and flatted with wetted 2000 paper and a pad while spraying water on as required, and use a squeegee to wipe off to see your progress, the aim is to remove all the high spots ( orange peel finish ) which gives the mottled reflections, sanding also removes years of swirl marks from washing and drying , a smooth flat matt finish is what your looking for before mopping ,

ensure you stay away from moulded edges while sanding and mopping, the paint is usually thinner there and can burn through if over zealous , as ever , keep it moving

i am using '3M fast cut plus' of differing grades ( green then blue ) , blue also being called ' anti hollogram finish ( no swirls )

once mopped use a good sealer of your choice ( known as polish for most )

lots and lots of work , most of it in the prep ,

once mopped i will be getting the ' dents away ' chap to remove a few little dints

BB

Hi BB, just trying to understand what you're doing here. This is for your 3.2S, right? So before I destroy my car's paintwork, are you saying that you are actually sanding the clearcoat with wet 2000 grit sandpaper on that car, before going on to use the mop with various grades of cutting compound :o !?
I thought sanding paint was only ever done as a final step after re-spraying a car? My Moroccan Red 3.2S also needs remedial work on it's paint - probably a lot more than yours did - so I'm interested to hear what you are doing and I want to be perfectly sure that I don't end up with a bare metal car :) :oops:

Thanks
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

carlmt
Snr Member

Postby carlmt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Aidan wrote:
Brake buster wrote:as with most things on car body work prep is the key , nice and flatted with wetted 2000 paper and a pad while spraying water on as required, and use a squeegee to wipe off to see your progress, the aim is to remove all the high spots ( orange peel finish ) which gives the mottled reflections, sanding also removes years of swirl marks from washing and drying , a smooth flat matt finish is what your looking for before mopping , ........

BB

Hi BB, just trying to understand what you're doing here. This is for your 3.2S, right? So before I destroy my car's paintwork, are you saying that you are actually sanding the clearcoat with wet 2000 grit sandpaper on that car, before going on to use the mop with various grades of cutting compound :o !?
I thought sanding paint was only ever done as a final step after re-spraying a car? My Moroccan Red 3.2S also needs remedial work on it's paint - probably a lot more than yours did - so I'm interested to hear what you are doing and I want to be perfectly sure that I don't end up with a bare metal car :) :oops:

Thanks

Same thoughts as me!

Will be most interested in the reply to this one.............

CT 8-)
1990 Daimler 4.0 638778
First registered 01.01.1991

Return to “General Chat”