David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Code 3 S Type conversion

Meeting room
donkeyotty
North Wales Rep

Code 3 S Type conversion

Postby donkeyotty » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 pm

So, I have been given an 1/18th scale Maisto S type and sorry Carl, but it is a little errr boring.........

So, what to do with it :? Paint it like this ??

Well maybe not :lol:

So, I had an idea :idea: I vaguely remember seeing some Police demonstrator S types in various publications and on the net so that's what it is about to become. Just to explain the Code 3 bit :?: these are models that are altered from the manufactures spec, could be just swopping a trailer or a paint job or a complete reworking.
So, did a bit of research on tinternet and found some pictures and info. It seems the two demonstrators T801BRP and T802BRP are still with us, both have current MOT, one is sorn and one is taxed. A little bit of luck then came my way when I saw that the recent Ian Cooling auction had a lot consisting of a press pack and photos of both cars, but bugger I missed the auction. :oops: However they did not sell so I made an offer which has been accepted and I await their arrival as a brilliant work of reference for the task ahead.

So, onto the strip down, that only took 15 minutes, :D

Fully stripped,

Thankfully with a bit of patience it came apart with only one lug breaking on the exhaust, easy repair, phew.

So into the workshop for stripping,

Then set to with the 2500 grade and spent an hour flatting and perfecting it.

So, that's where I am up to at the moment, just need to source battenburg, police decals, light bar, Police Slow signs, traffic cones etc and it should look like this :lol:

I will update the thread as work progresses.
1994 Regency Red 4.0 Sovereign M117FVC Chassis 705979
1993 Volvo 940 2.0 Turbo Wentworth Estate

Dazstap

Re: Code 3 S Type conversion

Postby Dazstap » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 pm

I shall be looking forward to updates on this thread as this used to be a particular interest of mine many years ago, before I was officially old enough to own a car.

I used to horrify, then surprise family members by taking similar models apart and stripping them before repainting and modifying them.

Smiling Sovereign Owner 667651

Aidan
Snr Member

Re: Code 3 S Type conversion

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 pm

This will be fun to watch... :)
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

Return to “General Chat”