• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

XJR build figures.... the final.

Meeting room
xjr41
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Swindon, England
Contact:

XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby xjr41 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Ok, here we go then. The contentious (is that right??) build figures for XJ40 XJR's. We all know the figures that have been bandied about over the years, even on my own website (which I have removed after being flamed a bit for them) but after many hours at JDHT, and with much help from Anders, I have managed to compile the definitive database of all JaguarSport XJRs built. I haven't yet managed to track down how many are left on the roads today, thats my next task but as far as the correct build figures go, here they are....

Total build figure -1243 (818 RHD, 425 LHD).
Total 3.6 models - 252 (all RHD)
Total 4.0 models - 991 (566 RHD, 425 LHD)

Breakdown by transmission.
Total automatics - 1160.
Total manual - 83 (all 4.0, 65 LHD, 18 RHD). Europe loved the manuals, especially Italy!

There were two unique XJRs made.
One went to Belgium, was a manual and was specified to have Cheviot tweed cloth interior. Why?????
The other was painted in a colour called Catkin!! Never heard of it but maybe someone else can enlighten me as to what sort of colour it was.

Anyway, there you go. I will break it down further into colour and interior later on but am now going to bed after spending the last 2 days at JDHT looking at their computer screens.

Hope someone finds this interesting, I know I do and I will publish all these results on my website in due course, just wanted my friends on this forum to know the results first.

Thanks,
Steve.
Image
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration

xjr-ant
Posts: 2552
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: East Sussex

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby xjr-ant » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:39 pm

More or less what i predicted around 1200 were made. Just seemed far to many about for a figure of 500 and it was also unlikely to be a round figure, if someone wanted to buy one i can't see jaguar turning round and telling them no with them costing 40 odd tho back then. 3.6 is definitely the rare one!

Don't recall a 3.6 manual? Did you find any? Be interesting to see which was the most popular colour choice im betting either regency or solent.

Good work Steve!!!
Various XJ40's and one X300.

PeterH
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby PeterH » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:49 pm

My Cheap Race XJS was painted in Catkin and its a greenish gunmetal if i try to explain in words, its a very nice colour that I never seen before.

Image
Peter Hällström
If it aint sideways, it aint serious.
Simplicate, then add lightness.
Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.
http://xjs-forum.forumotion.co.uk/

onyx84
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 am
Location: Siegen, Germany

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby onyx84 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:21 am

xjr41 wrote:One went to Belgium, was a manual and was specified to have Cheviot tweed cloth interior. Why?????


Why not??

P.S.: I would love to drive a forty with manual gearbox!! The last days I used the "manual" option on the J-gate, but I guess it feels totally diffrent?!
'89 4litre Sovereign in Regency red

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: SCOTTISH BORDERS

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby xj12-rob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:01 am

Good one Steve, nice work, as you know you have been there and done that with the 300 XKR manuals, but you had more cars to find and over a longer build time 86- 94 , we only had 9k cars in 94-97 to go through

To me it's facinating stuff, sad i know, but is does throw up some good stuff

We to found odd cars that were supposed never to have been built, two Topax XJR's, a white one that was sold to a Reverend someone, and the following car in sequence was also a white one, may be the brides car to keep up with the Rev on the way to the church!!!,

Surprisingly too, Italy was also the biggest customer of manual XJR's after the UK , 103 to the UK, but 42 to Italy, we thought that Germany would be a big market, but just 12 cars sold, odd maybe they went for the M5 instead

Re Catkin, Peter, I thought that XJS was Jade Green??, Catkin is a similar, as for as I'm concernrd non descript colour, quite rare though, I'm only aware of one Catkin XJ40, a 92 car that was for sale in the North East recently

All in all interesting stuff
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

xjr41
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Swindon, England
Contact:

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby xjr41 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 am

xjr-ant wrote:More or less what i predicted around 1200 were made. Just seemed far to many about for a figure of 500 and it was also unlikely to be a round figure, if someone wanted to buy one i can't see jaguar turning round and telling them no with them costing 40 odd tho back then. 3.6 is definitely the rare one!

Don't recall a 3.6 manual? Did you find any? Be interesting to see which was the most popular colour choice im betting either regency or solent.

Good work Steve!!!


Ant,

Although you were close with the 1200, only 818 were actually UK cars.
All 3.6 were UK, Jag never sold them abroad, so yes they are quite rare with only 252 built. Wonder how many have rotted and been scrapped now.
Of the 4.0 models, there were still only 566 of these in the UK. So still quite a rare beast when you consider how many XJ40s were built for the domestic market.
And how many have now been scrapped or broken??

Once I can interrogate DVLA for the reg numbers I should be able to know how many are left taxed and on the road today. Should give us XJR owners an nice warm 'rare car' feeling. Shame they are still only worth about £750!!!!

And no, there was no 3.6 manual XJR built.
Image
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration

xjr41
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Swindon, England
Contact:

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby xjr41 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:15 am

onyx84 wrote:
xjr41 wrote:One went to Belgium, was a manual and was specified to have Cheviot tweed cloth interior. Why?????


Why not??

P.S.: I would love to drive a forty with manual gearbox!! The last days I used the "manual" option on the J-gate, but I guess it feels totally diffrent?!


Because why would you order a 40 thousand pound car and then have the leather replaced with cloth??? Seems a bit of a bizarre thing to do, thats just my opinion obviously.

When mines finished being rebuilt, come and have a go in it, see what you think of the manual box.
Image
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration

PeterH
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby PeterH » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:58 am

xj12-rob wrote:Re Catkin, Peter, I thought that XJS was Jade Green??, Catkin is a similar, as for as I'm concernrd non descript colour, quite rare though, I'm only aware of one Catkin XJ40, a 92 car that was for sale in the North East recently


Yes Rob, my XJS was advertised as a Jade green car but checking the paint code told me it is Catkin.
Jade green seams to be a bit more green then Catkin to me but I really like Catkin.

Nice to finally see some correct building figures for the XJR40, that's very good work Steve ;)
Peter Hällström
If it aint sideways, it aint serious.
Simplicate, then add lightness.
Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.
http://xjs-forum.forumotion.co.uk/

xj12-rob
XJ40 Guru
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:12 pm
Location: SCOTTISH BORDERS

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby xj12-rob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:26 am

PeterH wrote:
xj12-rob wrote:Re Catkin, Peter, I thought that XJS was Jade Green??, Catkin is a similar, as for as I'm concernrd non descript colour, quite rare though, I'm only aware of one Catkin XJ40, a 92 car that was for sale in the North East recently


Yes Rob, my XJS was advertised as a Jade green car but checking the paint code told me it is Catkin.
Jade green seams to be a bit more green then Catkin to me but I really like Catkin.

Nice to finally see some correct building figures for the XJR40, that's very good work Steve ;)


There we go then, Steve, look at Peter H's XJS that is Catkin, I still don;t like it though, it's too non descript for me, BUT I am colour blind!!!
if it ain't sideways, it ain't serious
93 XJ12
93 XJ12 SPORT
93 XJ12 SPARESx2
94 3.2 GOLD MAJESTIC
94 4.0 SOV MAJESTICx2
94 4.0 INSIGNIA
94 XJR MANUAL
97 XJR MANUALx2
93 XJ6 3.2 PAINT TEST CAR
06 X350 XJR

onyx84
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 am
Location: Siegen, Germany

Re: XJR build figures.... the final.

Postby onyx84 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:29 am

xjr41 wrote:Because why would you order a 40 thousand pound car and then have the leather replaced with cloth??? Seems a bit of a bizarre thing to do, thats just my opinion obviously.

When mines finished being rebuilt, come and have a go in it, see what you think of the manual box.


I guess thats a personal thing of the guy who ordered it back then. Many people dont like leather (for example my parents :-) ) cause its hot when the car stood in the sun...cold in the winter...etc.
And the Tweed makes it special on the continent, cause the Tweed interiors are very rare over here.

I take you by word with the test the test drive!! Dont complain when Im knocking on your door!! :D

The Catkin looks gorgeous to me!! Like it lots!
'89 4litre Sovereign in Regency red


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest