SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Windscreen wiper got mind of it's own!

Meeting room
jpskiller

Windscreen wiper got mind of it's own!

Postby jpskiller » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:52 pm

raining a bit tonight on way home, so put wiper on 1st slow setting, it moves to the left stays there a few secs before coming back to the right and repeats this for a while, then it starts working as it should for a few mins, but then goes back to lazy mode of sitting on the left for two long, when it does this it goes left and moves a tad to right then 10-20 secs before returning, all other speed settings work fine, any ideas

david

Re: Windscreen wiper got mind of it's own!

Postby david » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:22 pm

jpskiller wrote:raining a bit tonight on way home, so put wiper on 1st slow setting, it moves to the left stays there a few secs before coming back to the right and repeats this for a while, then it starts working as it should for a few mins, but then goes back to lazy mode of sitting on the left for two long, when it does this it goes left and moves a tad to right then 10-20 secs before returning, all other speed settings work fine, any ideas

This reminded me of a similar problem suffered by Doris Daimler a while back. It could be the same. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=515&p=4037

by Doris Daimler on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:10 am
...oooh and congrats with your wipers, mine have gone on strike! There fine on slow and fast speed but as soon as you switch them to intermitant they go mental, they start parking here there and everywhere! I forgot about that problem, another one to add to the list!

by old del boy on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:20 am
I forget what year your car is , you should add it at the bottom in you sig , anyway it sounds like you have a blown fuse in the parking current line , when primary current is disconnected ie you turn off your wipers parking current takes over until the apex on the cam gear triggers the microswitch which cuts it off .

Take a look behind the passenger side cover under the dash , you know the big one where your knees are , you should find somewhere an inline 7.5 amp fuse if this has blown the wipers will park anywhere as soon as primary current is switched off and flick wipe will stop if you let go as well ,
that's the first place i would look

Derek..

by xj12-rob on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 am
This fuse when blown is the cause of non parking wipers, it effects all pre battery in boot cars, and as far as I'm aware there is no mention of it in any tech data (at least there didn't used to be), a 10p fuse cost alot of owners of XJ40's to fork out for a new wiper motor, only to find the problem still there

The story behind it is this, known to be correct, as it came from one of the team involved, when the cold weather testing was done on 40 in Timmins, Canada, the test team would come out to the cars each morning, fire them up, whack on the wipers to clear the frost as we all do (but shouldn't) in the UK, but as the temp was down to minus OMG degrees the wiper was stuck fast to the screen, result, burnt out motors, so at the last minute this in line fuse was out into the park circuit to protect the motor, just another bit of useless Rob info!!!

Hope they helped,

David
Image 1992 Sovereign 3.2 diamond blue (1993 model)

jpskiller

Postby jpskiller » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:13 pm

cheers for that, i'll see if i can find fuse at weekend

j_r
Founder and Owner

Postby j_r » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Reading this reminds me, this happened on my 2.9 and it was the fuse.

Hope it sorts it.

John
Founder, Owner, Memberships and all round XJ40 Nut

jpskiller

Postby jpskiller » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Well got round to having a look for this fuse, problem is there is a mass of wiring under there, all I found was a 10amp blade fuse (not blown), couldent find a in-line fuse anywhere, also noticed a brown plug connector not plugged in and a red plug connector that it would have fitted! any ideas what that could be

does anyone have a picture of where this fuse should be

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 am

That blade fuse is the one for the wipers , you must test it electrically as they sometimes look ok , no idea what those connectors are though , the only thing i can think of that uses a brown triangular shape is a blower if i remember correctly , but a brown connector should mate with another brown connector as you can see in the middle of this picture

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/ ... 001_41.jpg

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

richard moss

Postby richard moss » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:33 pm

My wipers had an intermittent parking problem for a couple of days during the summer but have now cured themselves. I'm leaving them alone!

old del boy

Postby old del boy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Here's a couple of pictures , one shows the fuse for the wipers which should be uprated to 10 amp as per jag bulletin , the other shows the correct position for the wipers when parked .

If you watch the mechanism while operating the wipers it will give you a better idea of how it works , you might find that the cogs are jumping or have moved from the correct position , you may also have a faulty micro switch ,

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/ ... se0001.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/ ... ed0001.jpg

Derek..
'93 4.0L Daimler, solent blue,
'93 4.0L Daimler, Westminster,
'85 2600 Rover sd1 vdp oporto.

Return to “General Chat”