SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Not a jag, not even a car...

Meeting room
Elsa_jag

Not a jag, not even a car...

Postby Elsa_jag » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Quiet on here the last few weeks, so I thought I'd do a quick write up on the fun and games I'm having with my other toy (give you an opportunity to laugh at my stupidity!). It's a 1982 LHD AIR-COOLED vw camper (T25) westfalia pop-top, affectionately known in our house as Norma...

She is a very original 'westy', with a lovely cared for interior that looks very fresh for 35/36 years old. Exterior is a little scabby in the usual places (seams mainly, and some scabs coming under the window rubbers and in the lowest bits) but nothing like as bad as some of the rusty VW's you see around. The van was in Germany until 1996 and was imported by an enthusiast, this shows in the general condition and she looks to have been extremely well cared for during 100k or so mile life.

We bought the van last April from Kent, The journey back to the midlands was nerve racking. 200 and odd miles in an untested 35 year old van with no fuel gauge! The journey was made worse as I has no sat nav and my wife had offered to let me follow her home, I'm not sure how but we ended up using the tunnel and incurring a 'dart charge' for both the van and the wifes car! :evil:

Things have been better since then, we've had a couple of nice holidays in her and mile by mile she is proving to be very reliable (we've done 1500 miles in her so far, three times the annual mileage I'm doing in the Jag!). Having owned other old VW's in the past, I wasn't expecting a lot from the driving experience, the bay window vans are very slow and the handling promotes plodding rather than progress - quite different to the Jags - but these T25's are worlds apart from the older stuff and are actually very enjoyable to drive, not powerful, but not woefully underpowered either!

Originally I was just going to run the van and stop her deteriorating any further, but I've the got the VW bug again and need to make this van right :roll: So, back in September I decided to bite the bullet and get the van renovated to a similar standard to all my other cars.

The work started by dealing with the obvious rusty bits on the bodywork, some rust was cut out, new metal let in. This photo only shows the repair with primer on, but trust me, there's new metal under there (The big rusty scab that was here can be seen in the pictures above). There a couple of other patches low down around the sills too but I can't seem to find any close ups of them. Many happy hours spent with a willing friend who's handy with the welding kit - cost me a few beers but nothing extortionate ;)

On checking the underside in more detail, I was pleased that my initial assessment when I bought the van was correct. The van has been regularly treated with dinitrol or similar (not the thick underseals) and it is near new under there, thankfully no nasty surprises. You can see in the photo above a dodgy looking horizontal line to the right of the indicator lense, this turned out to be a big heap of filler hiding a dent - something the body shop would find and fix properly later.

Then the seams were rubbed back, the PU sealant removed and the metal joins rust treated. New PU sealant applied to the joins and then primed and rattle can (very poor colour match!) to protect it until the full paint job.

Now I thought we'd sorted the welding at this point, but when the body shop started to prepare the van for paint, they found holes in the doors, window surrounds, tail gate and sliding door! Funny what a flap wheel reveals across the common weak points!!! So, windows out, Lots of new metal welded in, she really is starting to look very solid again.

A couple of weeks back, she was looking very much improved and nearly completely dent free and prepped for paint.

A couple of weeks and she'll be home, although it's been way more work than my friendly body shop quoted for, dread to think what the bill is going to be :?

Then it will be on with the to do list (what would life be without a to do list :) ) - In no particular order and I'm bound to have forgot a few things -

Re-assemble with new bumpers, bike rack, mirrors, trim etc
Twins carbs need rebuild and rolling road set up
Drive shaft to be replaced
Constantly squealing front nearside brakes to be sorted out
Full service
MOT in March (Along with the Jag and the Audi)
New cab carpets to be fitted
Front seats to be re-padded
New powdercoated wheels to go on
Fit proper 3 point rear seat belts (currently lap belts, but there are proper tested long seat belts available that bolt in the original points used for the mini bus version)
Fix the overnight heater (which currently has no fuel feed and no exhaust!)
Fix the fuel gauge

So it's a good job the Jag is fairly well sorted really!
Last edited by Elsa_jag on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Carl

ImageImage
Elsa_1994 3.2 s/ 61000 miles/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

Rory

Re: Not a jag, not even a car...

Postby Rory » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:18 pm

Good job :D

Rory
1992 4.0 Daimler(662003)(2010-)

Chefspakken
North Germany Rep

Postby Chefspakken » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:29 am

Wow cool :shock:

These "Bullis" became very rare even in germany and finding a solid one under 5k€ is nearly impossible now.
Especially original Camper are hard to find, the most are selmade sh!t.

The rectangular headlights would be VERY nice to her!!

And i you feel boring: the aircooled Porsche boxer engine fit's ;) :D

best wishes
Florian
1990 Sovereign Chasseur Stealth TwinTurbo No.0016
Daily XF 20d

Elsa_jag

Postby Elsa_jag » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Chefspakken wrote:Wow cool :shock:

These "Bullis" became very rare even in germany and finding a solid one under 5k€ is nearly impossible now.
Especially original Camper are hard to find, the most are selmade sh!t.

The rectangular headlights would be VERY nice to her!!

And i you feel boring: the aircooled Porsche boxer engine fit's ;) :D

best wishes
Florian

Yes they are rare here too. Paid plenty compared to what the jag is worth!

I wouldn't have a home made camper, with kids to transport you want type approved seats and belts.

I know the porker engines fit and you can get a Subaru job under there too, but I love the noise of a true vw air cooled 8-)

Can't believe your taking the round lamps vs fish tank argument into the vw scene! :lol: but you're right, square lamps have crossed my mind!
Regards, Carl

ImageImage

Elsa_jag

Postby Elsa_jag » Thu May 05, 2016 2:45 pm

A Little update, not as many pics as I'd like as photobucket gets less and less user friendly everytime I go on there :roll:

You may remember this -

Now looks like this -

The really rusty area is completely and invisibly repaired now -

And the lower areas of the tailgate that also had to have new metal welded in -

Overall, she looks pretty good now. The decals and the front badge still need to be put back on but the old girl is definitely looking a lot better.
Regards, Carl

ImageImage

Benign

Postby Benign » Thu May 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Looks like lots of fun!

I've always liked the small camper busses rather than the giant mobile homes - camping is fun!
The efforts paid off - she looks very nice.
´92 HFE Sovereign 4.0 (LHD)

Elsa_jag

Postby Elsa_jag » Fri May 06, 2016 6:08 am

The effort has paid off, at the same time as restoring the body, I achieved the holy grail of "no advisories" on the MOT a couple of weeks ago 8-)
Regards, Carl

ImageImage

Elsa_jag

Postby Elsa_jag » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Some recent pics of the van (whilst pb is cooperating!)
Last edited by Elsa_jag on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Carl

ImageImage

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Looks very tidy now.
How much use does it get? Just summer camping?
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

Russell32S
Snr Member

Postby Russell32S » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:48 pm

Ive always really liked these and may i say yours is looking fabulous, what a lovely job has been made of it - it looks superb and is sure to provide much family fun :-) Enjoy!! :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.
Russell A Macfarlane
Dalgety Bay, Fife, Scotland
1994 Jaguar XJ40 3.2S, Flamenco Red / Cream Leather, 78k