• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Meeting room
Xj40kate

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby Xj40kate » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 pm

1987 sovereign 3.6 (Kate)
1974 series 2 swb (Catherine)
1999 x308 XJR
Mercedes sprinter enclosed car transporter

Xj40kate

Postby Xj40kate » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:24 pm

HORAYYY I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! HAHAHA
1999 x308 XJR

carlmt
Snr Member

Postby carlmt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Xj40kate wrote:HORAYYY I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! HAHAHA

:lol: :lol: :lol: Satisfying when something goes right eh Stan? :lol: :lol:
1990 Daimler 4.0 638778
First registered 01.01.1991

Xj40kate

Postby Xj40kate » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:04 pm

carlmt wrote:
Xj40kate wrote:HORAYYY I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! HAHAHA

:lol: :lol: :lol: Satisfying when something goes right eh Stan? :lol: :lol:

Not often things do go to plan Carl :D
1999 x308 XJR

xjr41

Postby xjr41 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Well I just read this entire discussion and it's very interesting. To the point I feel I need to post something!

So many points I agree with and so many I disagree with but there's no point having an all out argument so I'll just my two pennies worth in and feel free to shoot it down.

First off, a Facebook page is a waste of time, that ship has well and truly sailed. There are already so many xj40 groups on Facebook another one will disappear into a sea of mediocrity. People have already picked their favourites and in general most newbies will join the most active of them so starting a new one from scratch just seems a wasted effort.

I agree with the majority, the pic thing needs to be sorted. It is what made so many tech posts great and without it the posts are only half as interesting.
And having to install different browsers etc, to get round it is just not a good way of doing it. Older people will get lost doing it and youngsters won't bother, stuff needs to work straight out the box or it's not used. Which unfortunately means being Safari compatible, as much as I hate the corporate fruit.

It does need dragging into a more modern usage, and several people have mentioned it, but it needs to be Tapatalk compatible. I also browse other forums and they are all Tapatalk compatible. To me it is the best way of using forums in mobile devices.

Regardless of what a few say, noone uses desktops anymore.
I spent 25 years in an IT environment and even before I left everyone had had their desktop replaced by a laptop. Even laptops are not that much used.
Using me as an example, I'm nearly 50 years old and spent most of that in and around IT. I have a houseful of tech and two late teen kids. I have two desktops in the office, do they ever get used? No. One of them is a backup for my wife's business stuff and the other is used as a server for all our films and music, which we ripped from DVD and CD so we could get rid of them all.
Funnily enough it blew its power supply a few months ago and I can't be bothered replacing it as we also have, like the majority of people these days, a smart TV and Netflix, Amazon Prime and IPTV for all our movie needs and Spotify for all music.
We all have our own laptops which barely get used so what do you think we all use? Mobiles and tablets. Everything runs on these devices and to have a forum that can't is a step backward in my opinion.

And to be fair, I wouldn't even worry about Facebook. My kids laugh at me when I use Facebook, none of their generation use it, they have all moved on to other platforms, Snapchat, Instagram, etc. From what I see and hear from them and their mates I think Facebook definitely has a finite lifespan.

The forum came around when there was nothing for the xj40 other than the ancient JEC platform and the Kelsey forums, and even then the forty was just a sub-forum. Kelsey imploded because of various BS being spouted and online arguments, and then jr started this and it was great, it was the best forum for these cars around. Everyone friendly, no real arguments, great tech knowledge, everything a forum should be. Unfortunately I think it has stood still too long. For longevity it needs to attract the younger audience that are buying 40s because they are cool and retro.
And that's fine.
Everyone has their own reason for loving these cars and noone should be excluded because of their reason. If some youngster wants to fill it full of bass speakers and dump it in the weeds then all kudos to them. I wouldn't do it to mine but I'd like to see it and hear about the technical issues of adding airbag suspension to a 40, and also help with any input I can add.

I don't think we should forget that one of the best cars on here, that was professionally photographed by Naki for a magazine shoot, was also a modified Jag with lowered suspension, wheels, body kit, etc. I know he is no longer on here but he never got shot down because of his car. Also I remember a V12 that sadly disappeared before being finished but it had all the makings of a superb car and a restoration and modification thread that made compulsive reading.

Naki and I have incredibly rare XJ40s but his is already slightly modded and I have a load of mods in mind for mine. Neither of us would expect to get shot down because we are not restoring them to factory standard and so we shouldn't be shooting down anyone else that also wants to mod their cars. There will always be the people that love originality and the younger generation will always want to mod their cars, it's how the car world is. Doesn't mean we can't all be as one on a forum though.

Anyway I have vented long enough. I love this forum and want it to be around for a long time yet, it is the perfect platform for what it does, it just needs to become a little more modern in today's world of smartphones and tablets.
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration