• Advertisement
Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Meeting room
Dazstap
Snr Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby Dazstap » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 am

May I make a suggestion?

A lot of forums have an "Introduce yourself" page for new members to say who they are and such. It is often a good way to get to know other members when you join a forum.

Maybe if we all posted on there as well it could help and maybe encourage new members?
Smiling Sovereign Owner

stevemc
Web Master
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 pm
Location: north wales
Contact:

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby stevemc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Dazstap wrote:May I make a suggestion?

A lot of forums have an "Introduce yourself" page for new members to say who they are and such. It is often a good way to get to know other members when you join a forum.

Maybe if we all posted on there as well it could help and maybe encourage new members?
Done good idea :)
Jaguar xj40 1986 build D513 NBU vin number ends 504501
Audi A4 Sline 2016

Dazstap
Snr Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby Dazstap » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Thank you for taking up my suggestion! It does make a difference on the car forums I am on elsewhere.

I've just tried to post in the section but cannot from an Android phone. On my of I can see the "New topic" button, but I cannot login or reset my password on pc. I stay logged in on my mobile see.
Smiling Sovereign Owner

naki_k
Super Moderator
Posts: 28672
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: Kirton, nr Boston, Lincolnshire

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby naki_k » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:54 pm

I think our forum's great, but the hosting integration is a pain in the butt.
I use my phone now for most of the pictures I take, which means I have to send the pics to my desktop to upload them (cant stand accessing forums on my phone)…


I think this summarises/ echos the thoughts/ experiences of many members here.

35 new members a month, is not bad in some terms. But still when you consider just one FB group for XJ40 will get that in 3 days, I think we have a way to go here to keep attracting new members/ keep the forum fresh and alive for the future and younger generation.
The searchable database is a unique/ true asset, but I don’t think the forum will survive long term purely on this alone. It does need fresh input, and vibrant new threads. I don’t think we should wait until there is a “real problem”, before implementing improvements.
(By real problem, I mean members drifting away leaving behind the tumbleweeds).
JWM/ Kelsey forum anyone?
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR
96 4.0 X300 D6
97 4.0 X300 Sport Manual
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 A
Breaking 40/ 300

donkeyotty
North Wales Rep
Posts: 5438
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby donkeyotty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:09 pm

If I could load pictures from my iPhone I would start/add to more threads, simple as that. I have just tried to quickly load a photo without success again.
1994 Regency Red 4.0 Sovereign M117FVC Chassis 705979
1993 Volvo 940 2.0 Turbo Wentworth Estate (Daily)

Dazstap
Snr Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby Dazstap » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:17 pm

I hear what you're saying Naki. A forum that I was quite active on for a while completely died (vodc.co.uk) and it was such a shame.
Taking that experience and discussions that were held before and after there were a few things that stood out.
It was one forum that covered everything everywhere.
The only time we met was a couple if times a year at certain shows.
Members cars could be hobby cars or daily drivers. Therefore the daily driver members were more transient.
It lost out to some established forums who were much more active.

Another forum I am on that is very active (vectra-c.com) is broken into regions, and every so often there is a mini-meet. It may only be 2 or 4 members and partners, meeting for a coffee or lunch, but it does work. It's the same with the monthly JEC club nights. Now I know that wouldn't work here, but we could occasionally meet at somewhere for lunch and make it a bit social, rather than wait for a car show, which is seasonal. It's not often you see another 40 in a car park!

Vec-c also occasionally have fix-it days where they congregate at someone's and share jobs that each need doing. This could be while so.eone less technical mans the bbq or similar.

Now I'm not for a second saying that the forum apocalypse could happen here, more that an occasional informal meet could be good. Fix it days are also great as there is a coming together and accomplishment of tasks which as reignited interest.

What do you think? (I'm not inviting us all to descend on Naki for a fix it and spare parts day)!
Smiling Sovereign Owner

Elsa_jag
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: Hunnington, West Midlands

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby Elsa_jag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm

donkeyotty wrote:If I could load pictures from my iPhone I would start/add to more threads, simple as that. I have just tried to quickly load a photo without success again.


I too have stopped adding photos, I think if we could fix this and make posting images easier, we could make the forum more dynamic again.

Easy to say I know, sat here making suggestions without the first clue of how to actually implement the improvement :roll:
Regards, Carl

ImageImage
Elsa_1994 3.2 s/ 61000 miles/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

Elsa_jag
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: Hunnington, West Midlands

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby Elsa_jag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Dazstap wrote:Vec-c also occasionally have fix-it days where they congregate at someone's and share jobs that each need doing. This could be while so.eone less technical mans the bbq or similar.

Now I'm not for a second saying that the forum apocalypse could happen here, more that an occasional informal meet could be good. Fix it days are also great as there is a coming together and accomplishment of tasks which as reignited interest.

What do you think? (I'm not inviting us all to descend on Naki for a fix it and spare parts day)!


Can I volunteer my broken ‘40 as a test bed for this magnificent idea?! :lol:
Regards, Carl

ImageImage
Elsa_1994 3.2 s/ 61000 miles/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

donkeyotty
North Wales Rep
Posts: 5438
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby donkeyotty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Elsa_jag wrote:
Dazstap wrote:Vec-c also occasionally have fix-it days where they congregate at someone's and share jobs that each need doing. This could be while so.eone less technical mans the bbq or similar.

Now I'm not for a second saying that the forum apocalypse could happen here, more that an occasional informal meet could be good. Fix it days are also great as there is a coming together and accomplishment of tasks which as reignited interest.

What do you think? (I'm not inviting us all to descend on Naki for a fix it and spare parts day)!


Can I volunteer my broken ‘40 as a test bed for this magnificent idea?! :lol:

And can someone fit and paint two new wings for me, I will supply tea and biscuits :lol:
1994 Regency Red 4.0 Sovereign M117FVC Chassis 705979
1993 Volvo 940 2.0 Turbo Wentworth Estate (Daily)

Dazstap
Snr Member
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: Facebook groups vs this forum? Can of worms?

Postby Dazstap » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Elsa_jag wrote:
Can I volunteer my broken ‘40 as a test bed for this magnificent idea?! :lol:


Exactly this Carl! I would bet that all of our cars have those little faults that niggle us. Which, I bet, someone else would look at and say that it is an easy fix. I have a list on mine, the central locking being the biggest bugbear.

Big repairs are out as that can get dodgy and end up with an immobile car, but little fixes. We all have different skills, I don't mind turning spanners but am useless with electrics for example.

I will also post a suggestion in the meetings folder..
Smiling Sovereign Owner


cron