Make a donation to XJ40.com

Rear windscreen - seal and rust issues

Meeting room
Brake buster
Snr Member

Re: Rear windscreen - seal and rust issues

Postby Brake buster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Erik wrote:
Brake buster wrote:as above, the rubber and chrome will actually carefully pull away from the car leaving the rear screen still in place and bonded to the car, you can still drive around like this as it will not compromise the car ( just its looks ) , but will give you a far better chance to inspect the issues ,

BB

So BB, is it difficult to pull off the rubber seal and chrome? Anything I should be cautious about before giving it a shot?

I think doing this would be a good start. Then I can assess the real damage and situation ... And find someone willing to take on the job, I have a few options in mind but they'll likely be costly. Nonetheless, as the rest of the car is in such great condition I would like to invest in solving this issue so that I can drive the car, rain or shine.

/Erik

firstly , the stainless trim comes out by prying it out of the rubber, remove the corner sections first along with the top joiner, the best thing to use is a ' plastic trim wedge ' for working on windscreens, after that , some sort of wooden peg, metal will do it, but more risk of damaging the car if it slips , gently pry up one edge of the stainless and run the tool along while gently lifting away ensure not to bend or distort the stainless, once removed and put safely out of the way , use the same tool to work under the rubber seal, this can then be grabbed and simply pulled out of the channel , its about 25mm thick, and quite sturdy , so dont be afraid of it,

you will find the channel full of crud and hopefully not too much rust, so be careful cleaning it out so you dont injur yourself

this will allow a much better inspection , and for others if not yourself to see what work is required

and you will also be able to apply some temporary way of sealing any holes, either with tape or whatever your preference is to limit water ingress in the interim.

it will look something similar to this , when i had my windscreen replaced last summer, this was in the process of being cut out with the ' cheese wire ' tool , but the channel around the screen will be exactly the same as the rear screen

best of luck

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

Erik

Postby Erik » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Brake buster wrote:
firstly , the stainless trim comes out by prying it out of the rubber, remove the corner sections first along with the top joiner, the best thing to use is a ' plastic trim wedge ' for working on windscreens, after that , some sort of wooden peg, metal will do it, but more risk of damaging the car if it slips , gently pry up one edge of the stainless and run the tool along while gently lifting away ensure not to bend or distort the stainless, once removed and put safely out of the way , use the same tool to work under the rubber seal, this can then be grabbed and simply pulled out of the channel , its about 25mm thick, and quite sturdy , so dont be afraid of it,

you will find the channel full of crud and hopefully not too much rust, so be careful cleaning it out so you dont injur yourself

this will allow a much better inspection , and for others if not yourself to see what work is required

and you will also be able to apply some temporary way of sealing any holes, either with tape or whatever your preference is to limit water ingress in the interim.

it will look something similar to this , when i had my windscreen replaced last summer, this was in the process of being cut out with the ' cheese wire ' tool , but the channel around the screen will be exactly the same as the rear screen

best of luck

BB

Good advice BB and thanks for it! And good pic. By the way your engine looks brand new.

Sharing another pic of the car ... from after my last wash and wax ... which I now regret as it probably contributes to the dreaded RUST ...

1987 3.6l Sovereign Solent Blue
1959 MGA 1500 Coupe

xj40 paul

Postby xj40 paul » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Just a quick comment , if you do take the rubber seal off , you cannot refit it without taking the windscreen out , I tried for hours to refit my seal but to no avail , regards Paul .
Paulus The Wood Gnome .
1988 Jaguar 3.6 .
2000 Range Rover P38 DSE daily driver .

Erik

Postby Erik » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 pm

xj40 paul wrote:Just a quick comment , if you do take the rubber seal off , you cannot refit it without taking the windscreen out , I tried for hours to refit my seal but to no avail , regards Paul .

That is very good to know actually, so I might wait until I know that an appointment is scheduled with a body shop.

Take a look at how much grime I came across when I removed the inner seal!

1959 MGA 1500 Coupe

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 pm

xj40 paul wrote:Just a quick comment , if you do take the rubber seal off , you cannot refit it without taking the windscreen out , I tried for hours to refit my seal but to no avail , regards Paul .

i agree , it is near impossible, but can be done ,

the correct way is as highlighted by Paul , is to install the rubber seal around the glass when removed from the car, and when new bonding cement is applied to the car the whole assembly is dropped into place and manoeuvred for the correct fit, then the stainless trim is added

BB

previously ,

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Erik wrote:

That is very good to know actually, so I might wait until I know that an appointment is scheduled with a body shop.

Take a look at how much grime I came across when I removed the inner seal!

'inner seal ' ?

there is no inner seal , its a one piece extrusion , if this has come out as the picture, its either been added, or has split away from the seal , in which case you will need new....

BB

previously ,

Erik

Postby Erik » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Also came across some rust on the rear outer sill of the boot:

And then I noticed that this thin plastic cover traps water underneath it! The car's been garaged now for three days and it's still moist under this cover. Can't be good ... Will have to unscrew it tomorrow and wipe off the surface. Does this sound familiar?

Thanks for your kind replies and apologies if these topics have been covered already
1959 MGA 1500 Coupe

Erik

Postby Erik » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Brake buster wrote:
'inner seal ' ?

there is no inner seal , its a one piece extrusion , if this has come out as the picture, its either been added, or has split away from the seal , in which case you will need new....

BB

Hi BB that's a surprise. This one has an inner and an outer seal lining the chrome frame. The inner one is loose thanks to all the grime that's accumulated under it so I can easily peale it off and then push it back in again. I've taken it out here as I want the moisture which seeped in under the seal to dry out .......

1959 MGA 1500 Coupe

katar83
Distinguished Mbr

Postby katar83 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Re that rust at the back,
Remove all the trim, wire brush on an angle grinder, clean completely, paint first in Vactan rust converter(cheap to buy on UK eBay), then a can of zinc primer(a must), then paint with a 2k color coded paint for your Jag from a can(also not too expensive), I'd say enough work for two evenings and something that you could do definitely do yourself. Don't skip either rust converter or zinc primer or it will rust again in a year ;)
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Erik wrote:
Brake buster wrote:
'inner seal ' ?

BB

Hi BB that's a surprise. This one has an inner and an outer seal lining the chrome frame. The inner one is loose thanks to all the grime that's accumulated under it so I can easily peale it off and then push it back in again. I've taken it out here as I want the moisture which seeped in under the seal to dry out .......

i'm afraid your seal has split, those is no inner and outer part to it, its one piece
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/j ... d-finisher

part 1 is inside the car as a trim finisher and mastic dam and is not involved with sealing the screen , part 2 is the actual seal that goes around the rear screen ( but does not work as a seal as the bonded screen mastic actually does that job ) , the seal below is the same construction at the sides and top , the bottom part is obviously different for the front screen

BB

previously ,

Return to “General Chat”