SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Quietness.

Meeting room
KingfisherJon

Re: Quietness.

Postby KingfisherJon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 pm

I think most people post on Facebook for convenience, as they happen to be looking at it anyway and see something Jaguar related. I prefer forums though, far more mature and meaningful discussion.

As a new member, I suppose I should contribute more here! I’m guilty of contributing lots on Facebook but not much here. The recent slowness to the website (now fixed) and problems uploading photos won’t help. I also think a good search function stops lots of “copy” posts of the same old problems.
1993 (92MY) Daimler 4.0 in Kingfisher Blue (667548)
2004 Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 (daily drive)

abercanadian

Postby abercanadian » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:43 pm

BB - good time to re-gasket that water rail!

Larry
94 XJ40 VDP vin 701729
Oyster Metallic/Doeskin on Aero Alloys
230,000 Kilometers 143,000 Miles
Daily Driver

94 XJ40 SOVEREIGN vin 703632
Diamond Blue Metallic/Barley
111,000 Kilometers/69,000 Miles
Parts Car

leo_denmark

Postby leo_denmark » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 pm

xjr41 wrote:Nice rack.
Are you happy with it? I spoke to Kelly bray about rebuilding my XJR rack which they said they could do but I haven't got round to sending one off to them yet.

Yes, it's good. It was leaking enough to make continious green lines at full lock, and now it's tight. It was working well except from the leak before getting it rebuild.

I paid 240 GBP + shipping. Exchange rate is good at the moment. I had looked for a replacement rack, but there are not really any LHD racks available.

Leo

xjr41

Postby xjr41 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:25 pm

How long did it take and do you know what they did as part of the rebuild?
Visit Jaguarsport-XJR.com - The home of the XJR.
1993 XJR Westminster Blue - Second To Last RHD Manual Built - under restoration

leo_denmark

Postby leo_denmark » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 am

xjr41 wrote:How long did it take and do you know what they did as part of the rebuild?

They expected to use 4 working days and ended up using 10'ish. They then shipped it express on their expense, so no big delay in the end, but I was eager to get the '40 out and the XJ-S into the garage for front subframe bushings. And downpipes, wishbone bushings, ball joints, stub axles, wheel bearings and full clean up and repaint of subframe, chassis rails and all the small parts. Things tend to escalate, when you start unbolting things, but I started assembling yesterday !

I know track rods and rubber gaiters are changed. Other than that I assume it's just seals, but I didn't ask. They didn't change the mountings, they had told me that was quite a job and would cost extra. They are fine, so no reason to do it.

Leo