David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

My latest (car) purchase.

Meeting room
NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

My latest (car) purchase.

Postby NMV 1E » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Just a quick update from the NMV stable. The www is, I believe,the Global car Boot sale :?: Knowing where to look or search you can find ANYTHING ... Looking for a nice car, anything nice and different with a bit of "fizz" now, who was it that said that :?:

At one time I'd buy a car cheap because of its faults and "do it up" ... Until the day I realised I wasn't getting a return on my outlay and the next owner was getting the benefit of my toil and expense :!:

Then I decided to buy the best I could afford and keep it to that standard ... The snag with that was just keeping it to that standard costs, without enjoyment as well :?:

Presenting my latest purchase a 2002 BMW 316ti Compact Auto with a lovely "back story" (I won't bore you here with it, but its a personal import from Belgium bought for the same price plus £40 with an eye watering list of accessories than the base model in the U.K.) oh and 37k miles ............

Paid the same amount for the car that I bought a 1975 Morris Marina for in 1978 and that's CHEAP ...

So, from now, on its "Buy them cheap, but only if their good enough"

;) [attachment=1]12318936.jpg
Attachments
12318940.jpg
12318940.jpg (243.82 KiB) Not viewed yet
12318942.jpg
12318942.jpg (118.63 KiB) Not viewed yet
12318936.jpg
12318936.jpg (176.55 KiB) Not viewed yet
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2002 Titan Silver BMW 316ti Auto Compact
2000 Bright Green V.W. Avantgarde Cabriolet
1989 White and Navy Blue V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)

katar83

Re: My latest (car) purchase.

Postby katar83 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Hopefully won't break your wallet. :lol:

My brother has an X5 and the bills for even simple things are eye watering even when you compare them to Jag dealership and of course he's one of these people who don't even know how to handle a screwdriver... :roll:
1997, 4.0 LWB X300 - Unlucky car but still a daily driver.
1988, 3.6S XJS - Never ending restoration project.
1994, 3.2S X300 - Accident damaged, October 2015. Gone!
1994, 3.2S XJ40 - Long gone.

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Postby NMV 1E » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 pm

I know, lots of "techy" bits, what with Variable Valve Timing actuated via a "stepper" motor .... May not be a "keeper", for long, after all, but, for what I paid I couldn't resist. I can resist anything, but temptation itself. Plenty of silly niggly issues, oh and an outstanding "re-call", alerted via the DVLA site. Its seems both driver's and passengers Air Bags need replacing (and a bracket or something on the tail gate needs attention, despite its advancing years BMW will attend to FOC) ... Job for after auld lang sine, me thinks ;) It seems we have a good to excellent dealership not to far away ether, so lets see. :)
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Postby NMV 1E » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:17 pm

I'll start by wishing the Forum a very happy new Year :)

So "NUI" has been in to the BMW Dealership, for his Recalls to be sorted and to say I've been left impressed is putting it lightly. Booked in on a Friday for a Workshop slot on the following Tuesday. Drivers Air bag check and replace, passengers air bag module check and replace. A further Recall concerning the Hatchback struts was from some time ago which meant the replacement parts had to be ordered in especially. The car was left at the Dealership overnight for further work to be completed the following day. During the Tuesday afternoon I received a telephone call and an email containing a Video of my car undergoing a "duty of care heath check" in the Workshop, with the Technician "talking me round my car !". The only further item that they found to be requiring attention was an exhaust clamp corroded through. Its something I'll address separately, as I don't feel its a safely specific issue right now. TBH it made me weep (embarrassed too) seeing all the dirt and corrosion I haven't had time to sort out, yet. The car was collected by Wednesday lunchtime, I was briefed on the work that had been done together with an A5 size portfolio of check lists and work completed. The car had been washed and Hoovered, screen wash bottle refilled and ALL, FOC. Frankly I was in a "daze" ... I truly can't remember service quite like it. Thank you Halliwell Jones, Southport.
Paperwork issued upon completion
DSCF4319.JPG
DSCF4319.JPG (3.91 MiB) Not viewed yet

Outside the Dealership
DSCF4314.JPG
DSCF4314.JPG (3.97 MiB) Not viewed yet

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 pm

Looks like a nice car and great service there, Tony.
Congratulations on your purchase and good luck for many hundreds of mile of - hopefully - trouble free ownership. I do notice that it's not a '40, though ;) . Just a hint... :)
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Postby NMV 1E » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02 am

Aidan wrote:Looks like a nice car and great service there, Tony.
Congratulations on your purchase and good luck for many hundreds of mile of - hopefully - trouble free ownership. I do notice that it's not a '40, though ;) . Just a hint... :)

Thank you. Yes indeed, it's not a 40, not even enough doors ..... Believe me I've been "on guard" (looking) for a 40 ...... This little blighter just kind of found me from the pages of the Car and Classic web site, almost within walking distance from this keyboard. The car belonged to the vendor's dad sadly deceased last Summer. Too many cars in the immediate family not enough space. I went along to look as you do (is it really as good in the metal and all that .... ?) numbers were mentioned and before I knew it I had become a reluctant, but happy, BMW owner .................. :shock: ;)

Elsa_jag

Postby Elsa_jag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:32 am

Lovely looking car Tony,

I have the slightly later 1 series cabriolet, with around 40k miles on it.

It’s still a dealer network looked after car (service and repair etc) despite fast approaching 10 years old.

It’s like a nearly new car in virtually every respect, especially the drive!

I’ve found the bmw dealers to be excellent and no wheee near as expensive as non-bmw folks would have you believe!

Keep us updated on your progress!
Regards, Carl

ImageImage
Elsa_1994 3.2 s/ 61000 miles/ VIN 698892
http://xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1195

NMV 1E
Distinguished Mbr

Postby NMV 1E » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm

UPDATE
---------
11/02/2020.

Its like this then, December is a funny old month to buy a car, but I did, anyway. Bought so cheap, never mind a song, how about half a chorus (once) :?:
I knew the car had issues, it had to have, please see my previous comment. But I could see a little Gem waiting to emerge (I hoped). So, during those long dark Winter evenings after whiling away those long dark Winter afternoons, spent generally messing about with door mirrors that tilt up and down, but not sideways (ball joint disconnected under the mirror glass) I'm studying the "Forums" for these cars and boy does the information keep on coming, (mainly from the other side of the "Pond"). One useful tip I learned was how to re-set (re-Boot) the Automatic Gearbox, yes, really ... Having eradicated a VERY, very, annoying DRONING noise which became intrusive beyond 35 mph, oh yes a Wheel Bearing, BUT the offside one had been supposedly replaced in July 2019 .......... Bit the bullet and replaced both front Wheel Bearing / Hub assembly's. Oh AND a set of new Continental Tyres, the space saver Tyre is Continental, so it seemed quite reasonable to me that the road Tyres from the Factory, would have been the same ? The replaced Tyres had 2007 dates on them so it seemed a reasonable move ...... When I mean business, I mean business ..... The little car and I have been out this afternoon and thanks to a fair bit of tinkering, not mentioning a new fuel filter (the one I removed was the original, I opened the "schrader" valve to de-pressurise the fuel rail / system, only to get the merest trickle of fuel out :?: :o ) I now know what Jeremy Clarkson (I think it was him) meant when he commented that the transport goes faster than the driver can think ... (just for a moment, in my case). Then again it might just be age, of which I'm proud to have achieved .... My work here, is complete. ;)

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:01 am

Sounds like a good buy, all things considered.
Aidan

1994 Moroccan Red XJ40 3,2 Sport ("Ruby")
1995 Jade Green X300 3,2 Sovereign ("Jade")
2005 Cedar Green Pearl Volvo XC 90 SE

naki_k
Super Moderator

Postby naki_k » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:28 am

I don’t know why, but is it that “modern” petrol cars don’t have the fuel filter on the service schedule? Yours has FSH you say too, but still on an original fuel filter? Madness for such a cheap part.
I look after my girlfriends petrol 1.2 Polo, and that does not have the fuel filter on the schedule. Even speaking directly to a VW dealer, they said they never change them unless it’s causing a problem.
Isn’t that the whole point of servicing, to avoid having problems?

I changed it anyhow. Along with the gearbox oil that wasn’t on the schedule either. :roll:
88 3.6 XJ6 PDH/CEM
90 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 LPG
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
92 4.0 XJR
93 3.2s - 4.0 Manual conv
93 4.0 Sovereign
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6 x2
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
94 4.0 Daimler
96 4.0 X306 XJR