Thank you Aidan for your reply! I really hope that anybody flicking though the forum humming and hawing about either buying an XJ40 or just where to start having just purchased one and starting a list come across this thread. I'm not a trained mechanic, I'm just pottering around with the car. If you can follow a Haynes manual and have a half decent socket set the rest does follow along.
The only way we are going to have XJ40s to complain about in 30 years time is if people start saving them and not just parting them out. So if I can help you when you take the dive Aidan or anybody else for that matter, give me a shout. I'm not the first to do this, and there are other members out there with much more of a clue then me, but this will need to become a more common topic for later model year cars.
Anyway, enough about me have a look at herself:
The rear of the new panel has been treated to the high zinc primer mentioned before. The green colour has also been mentioned before and is acting as a top coat for the internal area of the chamber. The top edge is sporting a weldable primer for later on...
I've gone with a half and half approach to the jaguar service sheet. The panel is bolted in place along the bottom edge. There is a high peaked bead of panel sealant along the top edge of the lower lip that once compressed and clamped in place has flattened evenly and sealed up the chamber edges. I've been in touch with the guy that took the rear screen out when I did the headliner and he should be free after Easter to take the front out. The top edge will then be welded shut and the final welding (woop!) will be finished on the scuttle ends.
Saturday was an eye opener as I had all the painted suspension parts on the bench and realised that was then out of action for any kind of work until the part are back in the car, so we started here :
And now looks like:
There is a lot more fettling to do regarding waxoyl and painting the brake line brackets in the arch, but looking a bit better now. The shock turrets were rather clean, pleasantly, but we're brushed back and zinc primed then undersealed. I stopped there, couldn't see the point in farting about with new wheel bearings as I would just have to work around the wheel hub for the next few months, a bit wide at the shoulder for crawling about under cars as it is!
If you've put up with me this far you would remember the slightly backward way I took the suspension assembly to bits. I had therefore not seen just how much clearance you need under the car to get the springs in and out. I switched tackle halfway into the 1st one and picked the front end up with the engine crane, the exhaust is still in place at the rear and the pipe finishers we're about 3 inches off the deck during the spring fitting!
I'd like to get on with the paint side of things in the engine bay soon, I can't really get going until that's done. I have removed the 'camouflage' from the n/s footwell and will and will be cutting out the bad from there soon. I don't really want to be doing bits here and here and oh here as it starts to get a bit half arsed, so not moving much further back until the bay is looking healthier.
I've been putting off taking out the fuel lines, I've been under, and made excuses, but I know they're a pain. I'd forgotten the pipes coming out of the tank are flexi and not steel so will just disconnect them at the filter side, I've disconnected those once before and well, that was one too many times!