Make a donation to XJ40.com

Wecome - Read this First

Information regarding the Jaguar XJ40 forum
j_r
Founder and Owner

Wecome - Read this First

Postby j_r » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Welcome to the XJ40 forum

In the early 70s Jaguar started development on a replacement for the Series 3 XJ6.

It would be 17yrs of development that lead to the launch of the XJ40 in 1987

In 1987 the XJ40 was launched, available in two engine sizes a 2.9 and 3.6,(many people critise the 2.9 but I hold a fondness for it, even though it ate timing chain tensioners every 50k miles my 2.9 F988END was my first Jaguar, it never failed and it took us touring all over the UK and Brittany during the summer months).

Later in 1989 under Ford ownership and to the end of its run the engine sizes where changed , the 2.9 replaced with the 3.2 and the 3.6 replaced with the 4.0 (not forgetting the XJ81 produced from 93 with its fantastic 6.0 litre V12)

In 1993 the XJ40 was changed again but the changes where underneath, seems these cars are a hybrid XJ40/X300.

The XJ40 now seems to be the unloved Jaguar, even appearing in the book “Worlds Worst Cars”
And examples are virtually given away on auction sites such as eBay, but some auction houses are seeing a rise in XJ40 prices, good cars are getting scarce (when is the last time you saw one)

Now if you find yourself reading this you own , are planning to own or what I dread selling a XJ40 regardless which of these it is Id like to welcome you.

Im a XJ40 enthusiast, I’ve have only owned two over the last 20yrs the first being my 2.9 and now my 4.0S. I love the style and the fact Sir William Lyons had his hand in the design, (unfortunately passing away in 1985 two years before the launch of the XJ40) and his influence can be seen in the classical feline shape of the car.

My aim is to have a forum where you can find all the information you need to maintain, service and restore your XJ40, for example how to remove the sunroof panel, how to remove the headlining without removing the windscreen and more.

XJ40’s are becoming thin on the ground even the breakers are saying that where XJ40s would flood in they have noticed fewer and fewer coming in so it seems the cars are getting rarer, will that mean the values will rise I haven’t a clue I just do it because I like the car, its style, the way it drives and I must admit the looks it gets, and that’s what its all about.

John

Founder, Owner, Memberships and all round XJ40 Nut

Return to “XJ40.com”