Xclusively Jaguar
SNG Barratt
David Marks Garages
Make a donation to XJ40.com

Not firing on two Cylinders

Koeschi

Not firing on two Cylinders

Postby Koeschi » Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 am

Dear All, Ive been the owner of a lovely (in a dodgy way) XJ40 3.2 since July last year and despite a little bit of leaks into the boot and the gradual increase in rust over the year its been a great car which i was hoping to keep loving long into the future ! I had just been sprucing it up for its MOT yesterday changing a couple of bulbs and checking things over and when i went to move it in the evening it was obviously misfiring and low and behold when i remove the plugs in cylinders 4-5 (counting from the bulkhead) there is no change so i guess they are not firing. Now my worst fear is that the gasket between the cylinders has blown but i am not sure yet that this is the case There is no contamination of coolant that i can see and my oil looks goo. I will do a compression test tonight to see what those cylinders read at but while Im checking is there anything else i should be looking out for before i decide to either drive into a tree or replace the head gasket ?

Its done 77000 miles 1991 model and it had new plugs probably 2000 miles ago

Any advice would be much appreciated i would love to keep this car going

Many thanks

JP

stevemc
Web Master

Re: Not firing on two Cylinders

Postby stevemc » Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 am

check the cap for damage arcing and check the rotor arm is okay as well, check the ingition leads are okay and not broken down.
Also check the inlet manifold gasket as these can and do break down and let in air
Jaguar xj40 1986 build D513 NBU vin number ends 504501
Audi A4 Sline 2016

NMV 1E
Snr Member

Postby NMV 1E » Mon May 14, 2018 2:36 pm

............................and then do a compression test. "They" should be all the same reading, (roughly) :)
Life begins at Forty !... I was born with nothing, I seem to have most of it left.

2006 Baby Blue Hyundai Getz 1.4 CDX (yes I know, I know, but you'd be surprised, I was !)
1989 White and Navy Blue V.W. Golf Cabriolet (G.T.i.)
1992 Tornado Red V.W. Golf "tintop" 5 door (G.T.i.)

Brake buster
Snr Member

Postby Brake buster » Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm

in the XJ engines the cylinders are counted from the front, just so you don't confuse anyone

so your ' 4/5 ' cylinders are actually 2 and 3 ...... from the radiator end

BB
1994 3.2S in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior
1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior
2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior

previously ,
1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior

Jaguarxj40

Postby Jaguarxj40 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 am

Hi JP,
Is your car a daily driver Or has it been standing for a while?

Personally if this was me I would check that I was getting a spark first at both of the cylinders that are affected.
If no spark then you would have to suspect that you may have a dizzy cap issue as I would doubt that two spark plugs and leads would fail together unless you are getting arcing between the two leads that are maybe a bit past there best.

I doubt it would be the rotor arm as I would think that you would have a no start problem but don't rule it out and ckeck its condition.

If you are getting a spark at the plugs, are they wet with fuel :?:
If they are then it may point to the injectors being stuck or the ECU not sending a signal to these two injectors, if you don't have the nessecary test bulb ( Noid light) Then a test bulb will suffice, unplug each affected injector one at a time and connect your test bulb and check to see it the bulb lights up on cranking, if it does then you are getting a signal, if not then you need to suspect either the wiring or ECU.

If your getting a signal to the injectors, good :)
then with the engine running and being carefull you can check with a long screwdriver to your ear and the other end directly at the end of the injector where it enters the inlet manifold to check if it's firing. You should detect a distinctive clicking, if not then it may be stuck, a gentle tap with a small hammer will free it up.

If this all proves ok, then do a compression test.

Either way, please let us know how you get on :D

Gary.
Current
1996 BMW Z3
1990 Jaguar XJ40 4.0

Previous,
1986 BMW M535i
1985 BMW 525e
1972 Vauxhall victor FE 2300
1966 Ford cortina estate
1961 Renault dauphine Gordini
1978 Range Rover
1976 Land Rover 101 forward control
1968 series 2 light weight Land Rover
1975 Range Rover
1973 Range Rover
1972 series 3 Land Rover SWB

leo_denmark
Snr Member

Postby leo_denmark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:34 am

I would take the less optimistic approach and do the compression test first. It's easy to do, and 2 neighbour cylinders failing does unfortunately point towards blown head gasket

BR Leo

Steve_D
Snr Member

Postby Steve_D » Fri May 18, 2018 4:34 pm

When I got mine it had a complete misfire on cyl 5 and the cause - after much investigation - was a failed inlet gasket between the manifold and the head at that cylinder - the thin lower edge of the gasket had worked its way out and the resulting rush of unmetered air caused a failure to fire at all. Also, it couldn't be seen from the top of the engine at all but was very evident when I took the manifold off. Yes - unlikely to have happened to two cylinders at the same time suddenly, but stranger things have happened. Good luck.

Return to “Engine”