This weekend's work on the Jag saw the rear brakes rebuilt...
...and the centre prop bearing support stripped and painted.
Once the handbrake goes in then the car will be rollable. I've found a suitable patch of flat-ish tarmac at the front of the house to drag it to and do the engine swap. Just need to wait for my dad to get his transit-camper conversion project movable then we can shuffle that along and I can start pulling bits off the BMW.
Oh, and I keep coming across bits on the XJ40 that remind me it was the equivalent of an £82,000 car when new, and is engineered like one. This is the inside of the handbrake lever arm that attaches to the centre bearing mount:
Completely unnecessary, but great that they've put it in as the arm still moves nice and smoothly without any wear on the components. Compared to my cheapy Fiat (£22k in today's money), Spitfire (£12k) and even Alfa (£39k) it's nice to have a car without any major engineering faults
I also patched up some holes in the boot floor, including some scallops to allow access to the wishbone through bolts without dropping the suspension.
Lastly, my 2-way vent valves arrived so I fitted one to the Jag and the other to the Spitfire.
The stock system on the Jag has a vacuum line that runs all the way from the intake via a charcoal canister to pull vapour from the tank. Didn't feel like supplying boost to my fuel tank so this is just a regular vent to replace all of that gubbins.